ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #121
liv2rydktms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Wilderness medicine [and Ski Patrol for that matter] now advises to not "reduce" [unless EMS trained personnel with a correct traction splint have the training and time to apply one] a femur fracture but do put the leg back into the "normal alignment" before transporting [immobilize using a splint or other leg]...this info from ER physicians that trained our patrol and taught for the Wilderness Advance First Aid for the Wilderness Medical Associates...massive bleeding is not common with a femur break but pain sure as hell is...and the shock can be a serious issue that must be mediated.

Your mileage may vary....

Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Rocky and Steep did a great job in dealing with a horrific injury in a very hostile environment...ya done good! And the angels were there to help.

Phil, thank you for your reply, I knew I couldn't leave Alan with his leg all pretzeled under the bike, and I was going to have to leave him to get help, so he had to be as comfortable as I could make him, since I was concerned about shock, the splint accomplished that, and in fact Matt the EMT left the splint on rather than replacing it with another splint he had taken in to use, he felt what we had done was awesome, and praised my first aid efforts, he was impressed I knew exactly how much fluid I had left Alan and what time the accident happened. The splint stick now has a place of honor in our family room.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 07:12 PM
liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #122
liv2rydktms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post
I had taken Monday off to come by for a few minutes over the weekend and say hi , then the car broke ( mechanic still trying to figure it out), and I got an ear infection. Maybe next week.
However we will have a better visit, when you do make it, as Alan is feeling better everyday!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #123
Rainbow007
Boldly going Nowhere

Oddometer: 267
Glad to hear you are making amazing progress Allan. You and Katy are in my thoughts everyday
04 CRF230
11 DR650
Rainbow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #124
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Glad things are going well on the recovery route
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #125
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,735
Well done, getting the relatives to do all the dirty chores. Always find the silver lining.

Good to hear you are dong well.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #126
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Update for Wednesday, August 14th

Went to the doctor today. First road trip out of the house since getting home from the hospital. Things went well at the doc. He said my leg looked good and is beginning to heal as expected. Don't go back for 3 weeks. Target date for returning to work is 3 months. Also got my oxygen cut down again today.

Progress seams slow from my end as I am getting tired of sitting around the house and watching TV. Would not be so bad being home if I could work in the shop or do other useful thing around the house.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #127
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
It is definitely hard to sit around and wait to heal. When I smashed my foot, I was only off work for 2 weeks and it was driving me crazy not to be able to do anything but sit in one spot on the couch with my foot in the air.

I started posting a ride report for our trip to Nevada this year. Maybe that will keep you busy for a minute or 2. There is a link in my signature.

It sounds like Katy did an excellent job with your trailside care and then getting help. Good job Katy!

MasterMarine screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 09:02 PM Reason: spelling
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #128
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Nice to hear your leg has started to heal, always good to get a positive vibe from the Doc.
Keep up the good healing work.

Great job on the splint and taking care of him Katy.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #129
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,782
Healing process!

Glad to hear you are progressing well. Sitting around healing is not fun.
Best wishes to you!
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #130
juliaallen1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Progress uppdate

Alan,
Thanks for the updates on your condition, this is a great way to follow your progress. Keep up the good work and be patient with yourself, dont do too much too quickly!
Julia
juliaallen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #131
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,243
'Member, no riding! Vibrations are bad for healing bones. Sorry, but you knew that.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #132
liv2rydktms OP
Beastly Adventurer

8/15 Update

Home health staff have reduced Alan's oxygen levels throughout the week, today staff indicated he may discontinue using oxygen while he is up, however when he is laying down he should use oxygen s his sat scores drop when he lays down, the level is down to 2 rather than 4 like earlier in the week. We are going for a ride tomorrow, we hope he may be able to get in the car now that the swelling in his leg is reducing and he can bend his knee a bit.

Although TR383 hasn't visited us, he has kept us entertained, especially enjoyed he latest post in the name the location thread.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #133
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms View Post
We are going for a ride tomorrow...

Oh wait... the car- right.

OK.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #134
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,436
I almost stopped by on my way home but I didn't receive a reply to my text and I seem to have the wrong phone number for the house so I just rode by and came home.
Glad to read you are improving so much. Enjoy the ride and do what The doc says. I am looking forward to more ride reports...
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #135
liv2rydktms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Uh-Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
I almost stopped by on my way home but I didn't receive a reply to my text and I seem to have the wrong phone number for the house so I just rode by and came home.
Glad to read you are improving so much. Enjoy the ride and do what The doc says. I am looking forward to more ride reports...
We don't text, I'll PM you our contact info, would have enjoyed seeing you.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip