User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
vak0 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
900km in one day?Yes or no

Hello guys, I am plannig a 900km trip to a neighbour country (I am in Europe). It is mostly highways, and I have to do with the way back in 4 days. One to go, two to stay there, and one to come back. Do you think it's possible? What is your longest day ride? Any advises? My bike is Honda Silverwing 400, 2008.
Oh, and I have never had such a long trip
Enjoy your Life, your Bike, hunt your dreams on two wheels. Full throttle,overtake, be one with your machine, conquer the asphalt, conquer the rubber. Feel the Freedom, the Speed, the wind. Lift the left hand for greeting, feel the sense of cummunity. Spread the right leg for farewell, lift up your frontwheel, let the needle and the numbers dance on your speedo.
vak0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
LasseA
n00b

Oddometer: 3
It will go I have done it a couple of times, but, you will be very tired.

Skickat från min MB860 via Tapatalk 2
LasseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Motopsychoman
Not a total poser

Oddometer: 329
Eek

I've done over 1000km in a day, on a R80G/S. It is smooth, has one of the most comfortable seats in the world and a very upright seating position.

I've also ridden across the US on a Honda CL350. It didn't have a great seat and I was very sore every day.

So, yes, of course it can be done. But you will be exhausted and possibly in some pain by the end of the day and for a few more days. I'm not really sure how comfortable a super-scooter will be after several hours. At least the seating position looks fairly good.

Take a break at least every hour and a half.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Being restored: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,098
Mostly highway makes it much more possible. I've gone just under 1300 km in -7C to -3C in one day other riders have gone much further. Advice I would offer, start early, eat light, drink water and only stop for fuel. When you are stopped for fuel take the time to eat and drink and stretch and then get moving again. Fewer stops is better as each stop adds up to a lot of lost moving time.
Comfortable gear will make a big difference. Do be mindful of fatigue and if you need to pull over and nap of 15min do it, you'll be much more alert after.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
vak0 OP
n00b

Thank you all for supporting :) I'll share the results later!
Enjoy your Life, your Bike, hunt your dreams on two wheels. Full throttle,overtake, be one with your machine, conquer the asphalt, conquer the rubber. Feel the Freedom, the Speed, the wind. Lift the left hand for greeting, feel the sense of cummunity. Spread the right leg for farewell, lift up your frontwheel, let the needle and the numbers dance on your speedo.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I do this sort of mileage (550 miles) returning from European bike races such as Magny Cours to Birmingham, England.
We normally set off at 08:30 local time after a good night's rest and a good breakfast.

The trick is to stop when you start to get uncomfortable. For us, we aim to travel 100 miles (160 km) until the first stop. Refuel, drink some water, visit the toilet and stretch your muscles. Next stop you try 90 (145 km)miles. Refuel and get some lunch - but not a big meal.

OK, 190 miles (305 km) done. Try for another 100 miles (160 km). Refuel etc. Now you are halfway there. Ok now try another 90 miles (145 km). Stop for a longer break, coffee and a snack maybe.

Now you are 2/3rds distance. That should lift your spirits now, so that you can divide up the distance remaining, maybe taking two more stops. Keep drinking water as you go because you will need it - at least 1 litre if not 1.5 litres.

You should get to your destination in less than 12 hours, but the trick is to maintain momentum but balance that with the need to stop and stretch!.

Good luck!
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
http://timyow.com/2010/12/fatique-and-hydration/

drink other than just water, to keep some minerals in you. at least one fruit juice and one tomato juice. low calories gatorade, but use only at end of day for the kick. avoid cafeine unless it is just really needed to finish that long day. one cannot sustain cafeine every day and expect god effect: only bad effects will kick in, like dehydrating and peeing.

also, when stopping to stretch, I actually hike a bit to really spend energy and really increase blood flow to legs and butt.climbing up/down a small hill or even just a ditch is quite good, since the slope works your ankle and knees, and muscles around.

I do >1000km easily as long as I do not under-estimate it. but it is really more about hours than distance. I do 12h days when in good condition, usually involves starting in the fresh morning jut before sunrise.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Sounds very doable if the roads are good.

I will ride 600 miles round trip just to go to lunch and yes I am tired at the end of the day
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
I've done a number of 500-550 mile days on my KLR 650 - all pavement. It is tiring, but so is riding 250 miles of dirt roads in a day.

One secret is to plan an interesting route along back roads and not ride freeways.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #10
Top Bloke
Porky Rider

Oddometer: 111
Port Augusta - Kalgoorlie

I once did 1850km on the highway in a day on an FXD ... I wouldn't recommend it. I did the same trip in a Subaru Forester a few years earlier ... wouldn't recommend that either.
Top Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
zozie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I did 1300Kms in one day last year on my F800R but I'm never doing that again. My reflexes and attention were really suffering in the last 400
zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
I have done it on KLR, GSA, and K75 all with stock seats and several 500 km days in a row on the scooter. None were difficult but knowing when to get off and rest is the most important aspect.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
vak0 OP
n00b

Yep, I did it with no problems. And I had a good time, even on the boring highway..I enjoyed! Thank you all for the attention
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
sea2summit
n00b and proud!

Oddometer: 30
I just did a 1054 mile day. All I can say is bring music, short breaks and a sore rear.
sea2summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
We did a 958 km day two-up.

I'm sure you'll be fine. And she's a tender arse.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote