Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Thumb

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR

You can rent the video on Amazon for a couple of bucks.
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,732
good start...day 1 rocks.

IN....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 702
Awesome, looking forward to the next installment!

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
Day 1 Continued...

We climb out of Moab, and just clip the La Sal’s for the next section.

It was about 100 degrees in Moab, so it felt nice to be gaining some elevation and cool off.

But soon enough we were dropping back down, as we headed along Onion Creek Rd.

We took a short break before hopping on Hwy 128.

After a short blast of pavement, we were back on some dirt that was bringing us through the empty desert.

It really started to open up as we neared I-70 .

Font page stuff :

It was getting pretty late in the day at this point, but we were still pushing hard to get North of I-70, and hopefully gain some elevation (per the gps topo maps ), so that we would have a comfortable nights sleep temp wise.

About an hour further, we found a spot that would do, right up against the Book Cliffs, and about 6500ft elevation.

It was a pretty long first day, and we were glad to get out of the gear and relax a bit. Dinner was of the freeze dried and/or noodle variety that night.

Total Stats for day 1 Moticello, Ut to North of Thompson Springs, UT: 232 Miles

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
In - What is UTBDR?
Utah Back Country Discovery Route
Old 08-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

And here is a little video from the Day 1 riding:
(Viewing HD is better )

jordan

jglow screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 02:24 PM
Old 08-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 303
Great Video
Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Day 2 – Thompson Springs, UT to Strawberry OHV (Uinta NF)

It turned out to be a very pleasant and cool night. No clouds and plenty of stars were out. Typically, I wake up pretty early, and since my body was still on Texas time, I was up super early – probably about 4:30 – 5:00am. It was really awesome out. Dead silent. Definitely one of the reasons why you look forward to these kind of trips. About 30 mins before daybreak, I set up the GoPro to do some time lapse shots, and strolled around while I waited for the other dudes to wake up.

We fired up the little stoves and had our required morning coffee. I think we also cooked up some instant oatmeal for breakfast.

After breakfast, we loaded the 250cc mules back up. We are heading West towards Green River, but before we get going that way, we wanted to back track just a few miles from last night to check out the Ghost Town of Sego.

Which seemed to only consist of about 1.5 structures, and a few random pieces of decaying steel.

And on the way back out, we passed by the small Sego Cemetery.

Then we headed out to Green River to get gas and refill our water.

Old Hwy 50 brings you into town.

After topping off the tanks and the camelbacks, we headed back out.

I was having a bit of lame nostalgia coming through here. My wife and I rode the Trans-America Trail a few years ago, and the route comes right through Green River as well, but then the TAT continues East enters the San Rafael Swell. Our route we are on now (UTBDR) will take us due North, and we will only see the Swell from the distance.

Fast gravel roads…

Bring us to Cotton Wood Wash Rd.

And we find some sand to entertain us.

Did I mention how lucky we were to have the cloud cover through here? Probably kept the temps 15-20 degrees lower. We were digging it.

The riding through this section is pretty fun. You get some fast stuff, and you also get on to some rougher roads and trails. It’s a good mix of making miles, and having fun.

We just referred to this whole section as the “Spanish Trail” because at some point we saw a few signs labeling the trails as such.

Slowly leaving the desert, as we haul further North.

We swing into Wellington for gas, and some trail food before burning down the newly paved Nine Mile Canyon Rd, and then onto some gravel roads into the Ashley National Forest.

More day 2 coming up....

jordan
Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Day 2 Continued...

So, this is the point where our route cuts off from the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route. We tried to include a good bit of technical riding on our route, and to do that, we have utilized a lot of OHV trail systems that will bring us North up to Strawberry Reservoir, and all the way back South past Lake Powell. As I mentioned earlier, I was able to gather a fair amount of intel on most of the areas, but some of the areas, I could do no better than a satellite image on Google Earth to check out the terrain. Also, nobody I was reading about was really riding these trail systems on fully loaded down Dual Sport bikes, expecting to still make ~185 miles a day. But, we had a plan, and a track so we followed it!

Heading into the Strawberry OHV System in the Uinta National Forest.

We were about ready to call it quits for the day…

Just looking for a nice spot to throw down.

The Strawberry OHV System is a pretty large trail system. It even has some legit single track motorcycle/mountain bike only trails. So, after passing on a few other camp spots because they “weren’t flat” or “too close” to the main trail, we decided to push on a little further to one of the "Motorcycle Only" single track trails. We figured there would be no one riding those, and we would find a primo spot to camp in no time.

Now... It’s been my experience that usually when things turn EPIC, it’s at the end of the day. Pushing past that point where you know you probably should've stopped. That’s kind of what happened to us.

This trail starts out super mellow, in a wonderful meadow.

Lawson even saw a huge Elk.

And the first mile or so of the trail was indeed serene .

But then we got to the section of the trail that started using a small shelf carved into the mountain slope.

Which doesn’t look tough, but your margin for error was shrinking.
And we might as well go ahead and put the disclaimer out now: *It’s steeper, further, scarier in person than it looks in the pics.

Lawson’s bike’s front tire washes, and he goes down.

Not a big deal… We drag his bike back on the trail, rest a minute and keep going.

About 100 ft after that, I manage to let the front wheel wash off the trail, but I’m not as lucky as Lawson. My bike goes full on down the slope to the stream that is meandering through the valley. No pics or vid of the bike going down. I didn’t think it was as cool and/or funny at that moment. A few minutes later, Richard and Lawson notice I’m not behind them, and then they eventually locate me at the bottom, where I am feebly trying to get my bike back up this impossible slope and back to the trail.

The next hour is spent working the bike forward through the small shoulder of the stream, to a point where we had no choice but to get the bike back up the slope. We managed it, but not without some effort and carnage. We (I) was super gassed at that point. Had there been anywhere remotely flat at that point to camp, we would have. We even consider throwing the tents up in the middle of a little island in the stream, but the threat of rain kept us from that.

We had no choice but to push on. We had about 2.5 miles more of the single track to ride before it turned us out onto a forest road.

A lot of the trail was still fun, but I think at that point we were all super timid about losing the bikes down the slope .

What a beautiful place though .

At about 8:30pm we came up to what looked like an old corral of some sort. There was a flat area next to it, so we thought we would camp there….

Except for some reason, no one was really sold on it. The place had a really weird vibe, and possible bear scat. We decided we better ride the rest of the .5 miles of the Willow Creek Single Track Trail, and see what else we could find.

And not too far after we junctioned with the forest road, we found a open meadow to setup camp in.

About 5 minutes after the tents were up a storm blew in. I ended up cooking in my tent’s vestibule before calling it a night.

The first section of our own routing had turned Epic on us pretty quick, and I was sort of nervous about what I had routed us through over the next couple of days .

jordan

jglow screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 05:26 AM Reason: mizspelled wurds
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
=[BAD]=TEX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
IN! IN! IN!
=[BAD]=TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #26
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Awesome!

Can't wait to get my little blue bike properly farkled and get out to Utah to ride!
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #27
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,412
I'm N !
I really like Utah!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Jeepers....
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 816
Joining in; keep it coming. Love the videos.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #30
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 709
Whoa! Nice job! Can't wait for more to come....