My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #62
gpskevin
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 111
Advise: Stop Falling

Ok, You guys have been Awesome! Look you put together a great ride plan. I know and have ridden almost everywhere in Utah and I have to say you guys have done a great job. Awesome route, and great execution, and fun. But you do have to stop falling...... Careful and Continue.

Awesome job, stay safe

gpsKevin
Old 08-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #63
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
Thanks for checking out the Ride Report !

All three of us were running D606's in the rear. I was also running a d606 up front, while Lawson and Richard ran MT21's. All tires performed very well. As far as gearing goes... Is it totally necessary to change gearing? No. I rode the TAT a couple of years ago with the stock gearing. I got through everything just fine, but I also didn't know what I was potentially missing. For this ride I went 14/50, and it was pretty awesome, especially in the slow, tight, technical stuff. I could still cruise at a gps indicated 60mph. My bike is stock engine wise, so the gearing change helped to make up for the lost power at higher elevations too. I believe Lawson was running a 13/47 setup and Richard was running a 13/48 setup.

And as a side note... If you are planning on running with a group, I would totally suggest the use of a filter skin. It will keep you from having to carry a spare filter, and/or have to clean your filter mid ride.

Here is how dirty the filter skin was after 7 days (probably should've taken it off earlier in the ride to free up some ponies):

And look how clean it kept the main filter underneath.

Anyways... I hope that more or less helps you out. Good luck on your ride! Let me know if you got any other questions.

jordan

Thanks for the tip, I ordered up a set of filter skins. Great epic rr
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #64
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Great Ride Report!

Thanks for the awesome ride report! The videos, pictures, and descriptions were fantastic. It motivated and inspired me to start saving up for a WR250R and attend an off road skills class.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #65
Motokirby
Anti log hopper

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskevin View Post
Ok, You guys have been Awesome! Look you put together a great ride plan. I know and have ridden almost everywhere in Utah and I have to say you guys have done a great job. Awesome route, and great execution, and fun. But you do have to stop falling...... Careful and Continue.

Awesome job, stay safe

gpsKevin
Falling is what we do! There isn't a ride that goes by where Jordan and I don't go down at some point. Jordan's is usually related to his vertically challenged stature, and mine usually involves trying to cross a log at 45*.
Motokirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #66
kirbykajin_sr
Old Man

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskevin View Post

Awesome job, stay safe

gpsKevin
So, wait a minute. I thought falling was a prerequisite. Have I been missing something here? I mean, look at the last video. It ends with me going down on my head. What better cliff hanger could you ask for? Did he survive? Will he ever stop seeing double? Tune in next time for "Can the old man keep it up?" Ouch, maybe not such a great title, could take on a whole different meaning for some folks.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #67
bikedork
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Back in the Winter of 2011 I read the first info on the new (at that time) Backcountry Discovery Route through Utah. I was stoked! I bought the map, watched the video, downloaded the tracks, and daydreamed about the ride to keep me occupied throughout the Winter. Well… 2012 ended up being the year of surgery and deductible meeting for me, and I wasn’t able to ride the UTBDR. A couple friends that I had planned to ride with went ahead and did the ride. They had a great time on the route… So much so, that they wanted to do another ride in Utah. Their biggest complaint about their trip was that they had to ride so much pavement to get to and from the truck at the start/end of the ride. They had driven the bikes up from Texas, and left the truck in Grand Junction Colorado. So, they had a lot of miles to ride to get to the start of the route, as well as getting back to the truck at the end of the route. For the trip this year, we looked to see if we could make a loop ride – have the trail start and end from one location - with no transit sections. We gathered maps, tracks, and reports of others' rides in the area, and plotted a tentative route that would start and end in Monticello, UT. I spent most of March and April putting together a route, and flying it in Google Earth to double check it. What we ended up with was an almost 1,300 mile loop, utilizing Forest Roads, BLM Roads, OHV Trail Systems, and forgotten mining roads (a formerly lost (submerged) connection of two roads at Lake Powell).

I have to give credit to the Backcountry Discovery Route folks for the awesome route through Southern & Central Utah that we utilized in our Route , and another huge Thank You! to GPSKevin here in Advrider for sharing his tracks from a few of his roulette rides in the areas we were routing through.

Three of us rode the route:

Jordan (Me)

Richard

Lawson

We were on the bikes for 7 days (July 26-Aug 1).
All of us were riding 08’ Wr250r bikes, and carried all the gear we would need to be self sufficient on our little bikes… Popping into town on occasion to refill fuel, water, and sometimes food.

We knew the route would be challenging in some areas, and it certainly was – getting in over our heads on maybe one or two occasions, but it turned out to be an amazing ride. So, bear with me while I make sense of all the photos and videos from the ride . And just to wet your appetite a little, here is a short teaser video of the ride.

Utah 2013 Teaser from Jordan Glowicki on Vimeo.

jordan
awesome trip guys, my small group of east texas bandito's has been talking about doing this for some time. your thread seems to have awoken a new desire to do it. would you guys mind sharing your route info? or if you are interested in riding it again in the spring maybe act as a guide?
Darren
bikedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #68
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbykajin_sr View Post
So, wait a minute. I thought falling was a prerequisite. Have I been missing something here? I mean, look at the last video. It ends with me going down on my head. What better cliff hanger could you ask for? Did he survive? Will he ever stop seeing double? Tune in next time for "Can the old man keep it up?" Ouch, maybe not such a great title, could take on a whole different meaning for some folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedork View Post
awesome trip guys, my small group of east texas bandito's has been talking about doing this for some time. your thread seems to have awoken a new desire to do it. would you guys mind sharing your route info? or if you are interested in riding it again in the spring maybe act as a guide?
Darren
I would be more than happy to share the tracks.... I haven't got them cleaned up yet, but as soon as I do I will send them to you! Go ahead and pm me your email address. Also, this is a ride that you would want to do no earlier than mid July, as Skyline dr is typically not fully passable until then. I would say the best time of year would probably be September though.

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #69
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Here is the Day 4 Video Wrap:

Jordan
Old 08-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #70
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198

Awesome. Thank you!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #71
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 422
Thanks for taking the time to put this together. It is really appreciated.

Great RR, pictures and videos!!

John
Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #72
bikedork
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:

I would be more than happy to share the tracks.... I haven't got them cleaned up yet, but as soon as I do I will send them to you! Go ahead and pm me your email address. Also, this is a ride that you would want to do no earlier than mid July, as Skyline dr is typically not fully passable until then. I would say the best time of year would probably be September though.

Jordan
thats good information, i was going to ask next if you knew about snow levels in the spring. i've mountain biked porcupine (moab) from the top many times in the spring and about half the time we started in snow or mud. thanks again for sharing your tracks and your adventure.
Darren
bikedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #73
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Day 5 – Fishlake NF to Hite, UT

We all slept like the dead last night. I’m pretty sure it was the combination of the effort and stress of the previous day, and the primo camp spot that was complete with awesome ambient running river water acoustics.

I was up a little before everyone else, so I stoked the fire, and started the morning brew .

Lawson eventually emerges from his tent, and hobbles over to the fire. His ankle is pretty swollen this morning, after the fall he had on the GWT yesterday. He’s gonna be sponsored by BC Powder by the end of this trip .

The morning dew was pretty heavy, so we let the tents dry out up top before packing them.

I give my bike the once over…

So far, it seems like the JB Weld is working for the repair on the radiator fan rotor. I hope it lasts… Today we will be dropping out of the forest, and back into the heat.

So, we head out through the last little bit of Fishlake NF.

And we can begin to see the desert below.

And once we leave the Fishlake NF…

We enter the Capital Reef National Park.

Following along Cathedral Valley Rd.

About 10 minutes ago we were in the forest… I love the diversity this state has in its’ terrain!

A nice way to start our morning.

The colors start to change…

And we round a corner, and suddenly we are on Mars .

Or maybe even a lunar landscape in Black & White.

Back on our way...

Until we hit the river crossing.

It looked pretty intimidating…

But after a Jeep Patriot rental car went through it with no issues, we figured we had a decent chance of making it.

And it was not deep at all.

We crossed over a Hwy and continued South on old Notom Rd.

Through some more desert landscape.

We are making good time through here, and there's lot's of great scenery.

We will eventually cross over a small Mountain Range in the middle of this desert - The Henry Mountains in the distance:

But before we reach the foot of the Henry’s, guess who’s bike is overheating again ?

Jordan

Old 08-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #74
Motokirby
Anti log hopper

Oddometer: 15
ME ME, I know the answer! It was one of the blue WRR's . This trip is even better the 2nd time through.
Motokirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #75
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Great RR keep it coming..............plus we need to know about the fan repair issues................

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote