User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
arcanum OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Removing truck wheel with locking lug nut

My BIL died recently,and I am fixing his truck to sell,a '94 Dodge with alloy wheels. My main task is replacing the brakes. While doing so,I noticed that the PO to Tom must have removed a wheel by drilling around a locking lug nut with a drill bit and breaking the alloy wheel recess out. some of the other wheel studs are damaged and I figure that that also might have been related to the same issue.

I am wondering if any of you have ever had to remove a locking lug nut after you lost the key? How did you do it,or how would you do it? It seems like drilling the stud out would be the way to do it,but what do I know?

BTW,the brake job went well.Replaced both calipers ,one rotor,and new pads and rear seals for the bearings. Re-packed the bearings.
The rotor on one side had huge divots an the rear side and had turned a pretty shade of blue.

Found a new wheel at a local scrap yard,and the net price was $30.00 for the thing after he bought back the old wheel for the metal content Everyone else wanted $100.00 to sell me a wheel. The same guy turned the good rotor for $5.00. And de-mounted /mounted the tire for another $5.00
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,186
Weld a large nut to the locking nut. Then remove it.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,399
There are sockets with a reverse twist that you use with an air impact gun. The ridges of the twist grab the locking lug nut and spin it out. Easy-Peasy.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I like the way you talk
Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Most auto parts stores sell a locking lug nut remover. Which is why locking lug nuts are pretty useless.

Not sure why the video won't embed. Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/LGpuFwEKpUM
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Yep, I've done this. Piece of cake.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,057
Get an impact socket that is slightly smaller than the OD of the lock, pound the socket on to the lock and spin it off. Punch the lock out of the socket in a vise.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
wmako
bored in NJ

Oddometer: 613
Air Chisel

I have worked them around with an air chisel. Probably could be done with a chisel and hammer with enough patients.

1979 CX500
1990 DR350

Ride Reports

Wmako's moped army rides from Jersey to Una-F'n-dilla (August 2010)
wmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
I once had to remove an overtightened rounded off standard lug nut that was in a recess. I'd read that you could remove the other four and just break off the stud, but whoever did that must have been some kind of gorilla. Anyway, I ended up drilling out the stud until the lug nut separated, then drove out the remainder and installed a new stud and nut. A hardened, closed-end nut would have been harder to drill through, but an air chisel might fracture one of those.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
rdrce698
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Split it down the middle with a cut off wheel then split it with a tapered chisel. Worked for me
Pete
Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
arcanum OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Thanks

Ok,here's the situation as of now.
Even though I replaced the front brakes ,installed by someone who obviously did not care, now the rear lug nuts will not come off. By not come off,we are talking about a 3/4' Ingersoll Rand Air Impact. At least 500 Ft Lbs. What the hell kind of air wrench monkey tightened those things??? The rear drum brakes are making a dragging noise. No way am I gonna sell a truck with that issue.
Once you hammer long enough,the chrome cover on the fancy smanchy lug nut spins free and then still no dice on the remaining lug nut. I do have a spiral damaged nut remover set, but do not have the correct size to bite the nut.
Since my wheel has a recess, I will go with Troidus' suggestion to drill out the stud. I was already able to determine that a decent drill bit is hard enough to drill out the stud by doing a small test hole. I plan to use only quality drill bits to complete the job as a broken bit would be a disaster.
Thanks again,will report back in a week or so when I have the chance to work on it again
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..

Oddometer: 324
Any chance the nuts are unscrewed CW as opposed to CCW,
it wouldnt be the first time this has happened
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
The nuts were probably installed dry and now they're rusted on. I always lube them with synthetic grease.
I use silver anti-seize.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanum View Post
Ok,here's the situation as of now.
Even though I replaced the front brakes ,installed by someone who obviously did not care, now the rear lug nuts will not come off. By not come off,we are talking about a 3/4' Ingersoll Rand Air Impact. At least 500 Ft Lbs. What the hell kind of air wrench monkey tightened those things??? The rear drum brakes are making a dragging noise. No way am I gonna sell a truck with that issue.
Once you hammer long enough,the chrome cover on the fancy smanchy lug nut spins free and then still no dice on the remaining lug nut. I do have a spiral damaged nut remover set, but do not have the correct size to bite the nut.
Since my wheel has a recess, I will go with Troidus' suggestion to drill out the stud. I was already able to determine that a decent drill bit is hard enough to drill out the stud by doing a small test hole. I plan to use only quality drill bits to complete the job as a broken bit would be a disaster.
Thanks again,will report back in a week or so when I have the chance to work on it again
If the truck is a Dodge 1/2-ton pickup, then the lug nuts were 3/4" across the flats with the tin covers. Without, they're 18MM, and can be a real first-class bitch to get off with either a 19MM or 3/4" socket. Get ahold of an 18MM impact socket and give it another go.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
the tin covers.
What a great idea THOSE things were.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"