Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #76
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Personally, I'd pretty much count on having to remove the tank to get filter off/on CLEANLY with the OEM tank or any other aftermarket tank. There just isn't enough room to easily get your hand/arm between the tank and the filter to get to the forward fastener.... and even if you could, I'm pretty darn sure that there isn't enough room to get the filter over the velocity stacks with the tank in place. On top of that, you would be dealing with a DIRTY filter over the top of the open CLEAN side....
You'd be wrong. There is plenty of room to get both the pre-filter off and the main filter in and out. Once it covered in dust the "wetness" of the oil is mostly gone so it is not that messy. Nothing a single paper towel can't handle. You have to remove the glove box and trim (obviously and then there is a TON of room in there. As mentioned earlier...you just have to make triple sure the filter is cliped over the lip on the left side.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #77
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
You'd be wrong. There is plenty of room to get both the pre-filter off and the main filter in and out. Once it covered in dust the "wetness" of the oil is mostly gone so it is not that messy. Nothing a single paper towel can't handle. You have to remove the glove box and trim (obviously and then there is a TON of room in there. As mentioned earlier...you just have to make triple sure the filter is cliped over the lip on the left side.
We are talking about two different things here..... Yes, of course it will work with a ADV, either with OEM or AfterMarket Tanks, as you describe...... With the SE/SM it is as I have described.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #78
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRFAB View Post
(sorry, only for Adventure owners)
Tease!

Me and my little SE will just sit quietly in the corner and mope.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #79
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
We are talking about two different things here..... Yes, of course it will work with a ADV, either with OEM or AfterMarket Tanks, as you describe...... With the SE/SM it is as I have described.
My bad...did not see you were referring to the Non-ADV bikes.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #80
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 204
CPR Filter access w/ pics

Well, I held a response till now until I had a chance to verify my thoughts.

I am at home today being a good Bro-in-law fixing motor mounts on a 2003 Civic. YeeHa. Wish I was working on the beast instead.

I am waiting on parts @ O'Reilly's so I fiddled.

FWIW, this is meant as no disrespect or jab... just personal experience. I have a ton of respect for H2W, purchase & own his products, and have reached out numerous times to him for tech support with great results. I also get the concerns of removing a dirty filter/filter rim over open throttle bodies... so I appreciate his words of CAUTION! This is info for the collective, esp. those on the fence regarding benefits & downfalls of mods.

The Steed:
2007 950SE: sickeningly not very stock any more

Mods affecting airbox area:
Safari Valdeze tank
Desmog (of course w/ this filter setup)
CPR filter, xrings, and updated baseplate
Oiled Filter skins (I misspoke earlier & called them a prefilter. The foam prefilter for the CPR setup is for you ADV folk. Skins for us SE folk)
Rejet
CJ Designs trimmed intake horns
I even have my fuzeblock mounted in front of the filter assembly, on the splash guard behind the ECU. It works great... I keep my underseat storage for spare parts, fuel line & fittings, tool kit, etc.

This took all of 4 minutes taking pics. No cleaning done, just removal & replacement. All done w/ my big gorilla hands & forearms!

I'd say it's doable. I havent yet "trashed" the filter in the muck and dirt, but I love it so far. It's done a great job of filtering so far, but I'll keep watching carefully.

I'm sure if this would be attempted w/ stock height intake horns, it would be more difficult, but stock height wont work w/ the domed filter.

As has been said multiple times, double-triple-quadruple check the left (clutch side) bottomw lip of the filter to make sure it captures the baseplate correctly. I use a headlamp to light the crucial areas to make sure it's in place. Then use your God-given thumbs and fingers to gently squeeze the filter and baseplate tab together. Use no tools! It should not be hard. On my first fitment, I had to help it in place more. Now that it's been on the bike a while, I falls right in place.

What say you?

JRod152 screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 01:29 PM
JRod152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #81
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Ahhh.... I screwed up...

For clarity:
Again I was basing my statement on using the STANDARD filter not the DOME when installed on the SE/SM.... With the STD filter and the non-clipped velocity stacks, you cannot get that bad boy out from between the tank and the carb bits..... With the DOME and the clipped velocity stacks, then you are very correct, you can remove 'safely'.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #82
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,483
OUTSTANDING!!!!!

First of all, I 100% agree with this:"I have a ton of respect for H2W, purchase & own his products, and have reached out numerous times to him for tech support with great results." Ken has been my go-to for all things carby for years and looses no points at all. I appreciate you, Ken, for taking the time to chime in.

Now to you, Mr. JRod152.
You know, I always try to assist others here as much as I can with my (limited) experience and (sometimes lack of) wisdom. You sir have gone above the call of duty. Rottweiler owes you a big hug -- manly hug, that is. I suggest Rottweiler, with your permission, uses your pictures on their website to convince dumkopfs like myself to save up their pennies and invest. Seriously! Your pictures totally convinced me that I NEED this system.

CPRFAB: Be sure do remember JRod152's good deed.

Ken, do I need to rejet the system if I use the Rottweiler? If yes, do you have kit ready?

And lastly, I think, just judging by the hairiness, that we may be related.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #83
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
JRod152, PM us your shipping address. Sending you a free set of filter skins. Thank you(!), for taking the time to add to this discussion. We can only get our hands on so many bikes and love customer feedback like this. And to all, we will always make time to answer phone calls and take any feedback, suggestions or criticisms. All valuable.

Don't forget to look for us at the KTM Rally. We will have some very cool stuff that will address some of the discussion here.

Chris
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #84
CPRFAB
Banned

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post

Ken, do I need to rejet the system if I use the Rottweiler? If yes, do you have kit ready?

Ken was one of the first guys to make a jet kit for our systems and we defer most inquiries like this to him. He's got them dialed.

Chris
CPRFAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #85
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Yes, the open foam filter system requires rejetting, PM me and I can get you pointed in the right direction

Sent from ADVmachines.com via Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #86
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,221
Just ask'n...

Hey H2W,

Are you by chance going to Colorado KTM Rally this year...

( I know you're a busy guy!)
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #87
GLRRA47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
What kind of fuel mileage can I expect - '07 ADV with a Rotwieler intake system & stock exhaustand then Rotwieler intake system with Q4 exhausts. (Remapping as needed for proper running - not max HP)
GLRRA47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #88
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRRA47 View Post
What kind of fuel mileage can I expect - '07 ADV with a Rotwieler intake system & stock exhaustand then Rotwieler intake system with Q4 exhausts. (Remapping as needed for proper running - not max HP)
My experience with both the carb and FI Adventures is that fuel mileage stays about the same as the stock airbox.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #89
ADV Dave
Gear up

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
My experience with both the carb and FI Adventures is that fuel mileage stays about the same as the stock airbox.
there is a short period of wrist issues you will have to come to terms with...

ADV Dave screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 07:24 PM
ADV Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #90
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 204
For clarity:
Again I was basing my statement on using the STANDARD filter not the DOME when installed on the SE/SM.... [/QUOTE]\

I figured it was something like that.

I think I would have preferred the overall idea of the larger ADV filter and unclipped intake horns, but I wasn't sure about:
-Seat pan mods
-easy access for service
I wonder if there is a 'seat of the pants' difference?

Glad those thoughts are cleared up for future owners!