User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
A2OD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
How to decide what to take 2up

So planning a trip around the USA on my xt660z with my girlfriend. Just wondered how you pack.

I don't want to take a top box really so trying to fit everything on the sides. I also have a 10litre tank bag and we both have 10lt bags with hydration built in.

So what do you guys pack in this case.
A2OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,510
need more info, camping? motels? cooking? restaurants?
without knowing any of this, I'd say ditch the top box and strap on a large drybag in place, much more versatile and will haul more.
I travel 2-up almost all the time, and have traveled across the country many times over the years, I'm still working on the perfect way to pack!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
A2OD OP
Adventurer

We are going to be spending the majority of our time camping if not all and cooking when possible. Sorry should have given more information.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
It really...

depends on how many comforts you want.

IMO - clothes don't eat up much space but the tent, cook stove, pots, do you want coffee in the morning??

Sleeping bags, sleeping pads, .... you get the idea. We travel 2 up almost always and camp but we use a top box for all the camp hardware, pots, stove, etc.

You need to decide how minimal you want to travel, then put everything on the floor. Then pack it, and you will see whats doable.

The correct gear makes a huge difference too, think small.

Start there.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
ardbeglily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
got it!!

Go to your local supermarket and get 2 plastic bags, one for you, one for her, problem solved. That is what I did when I took my daughter.
ardbeglily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
No offense, but why not take a Sealbag for a top case? You can roll it up if you choose not to use it. $30. Strap it on with 2 ratcheting straps.
Happy Wife, (common law, whatever)=Happy Life
Sounds like a great trip, I love 2up camping trips!
Rain gear comes to mind, as well as earplugs, flask of rum...yup that pretty much covers it!
Do a Ride report!
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
I am not sure why you dont want a top box. A top box, or at least some sort of backrest, makes the ride much more pleasant for the passenger. It also eases the mind of the pilot. You can twist the throttle anytime you want and not worry about your passenger doing a flip off the back of the bike. It was the first accessory I bought after I started carrying a passenger.

As for what to carry? What are you using for panniers? In our case, the missus gets one side, I get the other. She can bring what ever she can fit in her side.

Yankee Dog screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 12:22 PM
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
I can't carry a cooking kit and our camping gear and our riding/regular clothes if w'er going through a lot of diverse weather.

Last trip we hit 36 and rain and 101. That's a lot of gear to carry along and stow.

I get one side, and carry a lot of the motorcycle stuff on my side (toolkit, first aid kit, etc) and she gets the other. We put a big dry bag on the back with our tent and sleeping bags/mattress/pillows-- and that's that. And that's travelling heavy.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Here is out set up.

The bike when loaded for a three week trip. Two sleeping bads and pads are in the dry bag on the right rear pannier, the tent is in the green bag on the crash bar. The right pannier hold tools, spare parts and shoes.

On top of the other pannier is our rain gear. We learned the hard way to pack it somewhere easy to get to. The left pannier belongs to the missus. I have no idea what goes in there. The left green crash bar bag is my stuff. A couple of t-shirts, pant and some spare underwear.

Here is the cooking gear.

Here is the tent. Actually a bug hut and a tarp.

The top box holds heated jacket liners, lightweight wind shirts and another pair of gloves. Our jackets are of the mesh variety. We expect to encounter temps from the 100s to the 30. We expect this outfit to work throughout the temp range. Its has worked for us before. When you head North out of Alabama in the summer you have to be ready for anything.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
A2OD OP
Adventurer

We went camping over the weekend and I took as little as possible and our gear came to around 50ltre which is not bad as we also had our walking boots with us.

The shelter on the last post looks most interesting how warm/dry our you in that set up?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2OD View Post
The shelter on the last post looks most interesting how warm/dry our you in that set up?
The tarp can be adjusted closer to the ground if necessary to keep the rain out. Things can me a bit damp if the weather really turn to poop. If the forecast looks really bad, we look for a motel. No need to suffer, I did that while I was in the army.

Warmth depends on the sleeping bag more than the tent. We both have Big Anges down systems good to 30F. Colder than that and we stay at home. Wimps we are, yes it it true.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Synthetic clothing like UnderArmor type shirts and underwear will cut way down on the number of items you have to pack, wash them out with some shampoo, hang to air dry.
I agree with Y/D something for the passenger to lean against is a very good thang.
Good luck to you both on your trip.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I dont camp so>>>

I dont camp so take this with a grain of salt.

I get the top box, Ann gets both side cases of the R1200RT. Top box is great for her to lean against and holds all that I need. I keep the rain gear and tire plugger kit in a dry bag on a rack on the top box. We do laundry once a week when on the road. I have a Tourtech flat tank bag for the small stuff, first aid kit, flashlights, multitool, extra glasses, etc.

Our first trip she brought several pairs of shoes, not any more. She learned quickly what she really needs and doesnt need. We are not trying to impress anyone on the road so clothes are pretty utilitarian.

Ann likes getting T shirts or other clothing from places that we go so we know not to stuff the bags. I have shipped some things home from the road.

As for tools, a good tire repair kit, air pump, basic tools, credit card, and towing service card. I have BMW and AMA. Good Sam is the absolut best but I havent splurged for that yet.

Have a great trip and ride safe!

Bud
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Why pack rain gear in a dry bag ? Its rain gear. I just roll mine up and secure it under a cargo net on the top box. It's ready at a moments notice.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I .........................
, Ann gets both side cases ..........................
ud
I did not appreciate this comment. Please keep it to yourself in the future. My missus gets one side. I get the exahust side, where the tools go as well. The top box is for rain gear and heated jackets.