Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I did not appreciate this comment. Please keep it to yourself in the future. My missus gets one side. I get the exahust side, where the tools go as well. The top box is for rain gear and heated jackets.
Agreed, I get exhaust side box and my clothes are 2x the size of hers. We have a small top bag where the essentials get stashed. Feh both panniers that's far two much maintenance if she needs both.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
My missus gets one side. I get the exahust side, where the tools go as well. The top box is for rain gear and heated jackets.
We travel 2-up, and I get the exhaust side. Plus we carry a 2-liter container of water on this side. So if I can do it (I'm female), she can too! (Of course, we have pretty big side cases -- Micatech.)

We also carry our rain gear, heated clothing, and extra gloves in the top box. The camping gear goes into dry bags which are lashed onto the side cases.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
2-up

When riding 2-up, my wife and I enjoy a nice comfortable B&B. It's a different experience than camping, we don't ride as far, but it sure is nice to get spoiled sometimes. It also ensures that she will continue to enjoy riding with me and that's worth the cost.
I camp only when riding solo and am usually too cheap to pay just for a place to sleep unless weather is a factor.

I really don't know how to pack enough gear for 2 to go camping and still ride such a heavily laden beast. good luck on that.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
I figure that even with all the extra camping gear I am still lighter than your average Wing or Beemer for that matter.

Beside, the camping was her idea. I got all the camping I needed in the infantry.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2OD View Post
So planning a trip around the USA on my xt660z with my girlfriend. Just wondered how you pack.

I don't want to take a top box really so trying to fit everything on the sides. I also have a 10litre tank bag and we both have 10lt bags with hydration built in.

So what do you guys pack in this case.
Ditch the 10 litre tank bag (it's too small) and the hydration bags (presumably backpacks; don't carry anything on your back). Stop for a break if you need hydration (aka a drink, to plebs such as myself.

When touring (multi weeks in NZ, Europe, British Isles) or shifting place of work (used to be frequent as a seasonal farm worker in the UK fo the early to mid '90s) I used a large bag bungeed on top of the tank for my clothes and the like. Camping gear etc was bungeed on the back.

I didn't spring for any motorcycle specific luggage such as saddle bags or a top box on the 500 '82 Honda CB250RS that served me for several years until it was stolen in '97. Prior to that I had a bike with a top box for a few months (also stolen). It was convenient, but I didn't like the way it affected the handling. It put weight high up and way back.

Loading the bike thus spreads the load, keeping the centre of gravity nearer the centre of the bike, rather than shifting it back by loading up the rear.

In days of yore some bikes were fitted with a small accessory luggage rack on the tank to facilitate the arrangement. Unfortunately, in the interests of aesthetics and sporty design, the tanks of many modern bikes don't lend themselves to carrying much.

These days, living on a small island, I ride a 95 kg step through. Most of what I need to carry (sometimes quite a bit; full scuba kit, for instance) goes in the space between my legs, keeping it low and centred.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Ditch...........the hydration bags (presumably backpacks; ......................

sorry but this is absolutely wrong. Constant and steady hydration will keep you more alert and keep your energy level higher as well.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
sorry but this is absolutely wrong. Constant and steady hydration will keep you more alert and keep your energy level higher as well.
Constant riding will reduce your alertness and sap your energy.

Stopping every hour or so, to have a drink, a stretch and a look around will make for a much more interesting, enjoyable and safer trip.

Motorcycle touring should not treated as some kind of an endurance event.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 03:40 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #23
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2OD View Post
So planning a trip around the USA on my xt660z with my girlfriend. Just wondered how you pack.

I don't want to take a top box really so trying to fit everything on the sides. I also have a 10litre tank bag and we both have 10lt bags with hydration built in.

So what do you guys pack in this case.
The best thing you can do are as many Saturday/Sunday overnighters as possible and you will answer your own needs. Because they WILL be different than ours and you will develop both your kit, your packing, and your habits. So will she.

As for clothing, we strive for zero cotton. Synthetic clothes take less space, dry much faster, and hold smells less. Get the better stuff, because the cheap stuff feels horrible and makes you look like a beggar. We take no more than 3 sets and try to anticipate temperatures changing. Good rain gear doesn't need to be expensive. Check out Frogg Togs.

In camping gear, the smaller and lighter stuff is generally the expensive stuff. Don't cheap out or you will be replacing gear.

Don't forget a good camera, smart phone, and netbook or tablet to put your photos on the cloud, where they can't be lost or stolen.

Figure that every 3rd or 4th night you are going to want to sleep indoors for a shower, dry bed, and to clean up. Could be a cheap motel or couch surfing, but you'll want the great indoors at about that rate after a while.

Anything you don't have can be added at stores in any town, so if you don't need something today (excepting rain gear), leave it at home.