Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
This makes the prospect of having kids seem like a lot more fun. I hope I have a kid/kids that desire to go on rides like this.

If he made it to Yellowstone and loved it, he'll love AK.

Man, I really wish I had a dad that was into motorcyling.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
B.E. Coyote OP
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,359
Done deal, heading to AK in June.

Bought the latest milepost and he has been checking it out hard.

I think much of the trip will be a repeat of my last trip there, which is mostly okay with me. I made two trips to Denali and never did see Mt. McKinley.

Ordered a pair of Sena headsets and starting to make my lists. Probably going to have to pull my small trailer with the FJR so warm and comfortable should be less of a problem.

When I went before my wife flew into Anchorage and then home from Anchorage. We toured AK together but she missed a lot in the Yukon. Very wild but not touristy like AK can be.

I'm going to have the boy ride the entire way up and around AK, but may fly him home from some point. He doesn't need the round trip, and without him I can really knock out serious miles and stealth camp.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #18
unknown stuntman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Do it. My 9 yr old girl is my copilot on the back. Never complains, even in lightning storms. Take it easy, stop for lunch, answer lots of questions. You're a good dad.

unknown stuntman screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 11:51 PM
unknown stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #19
B.E. Coyote OP
(Super-Genius)

ok, since I started this thread I sold the FJR and bought a Tenere. Got it set up for two up touring and we plan to leave for AK on June 20th!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #20
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Sounds like an awesome trip. I wish I could do something like this with my dad.

I wish you guys luck and look forward to the ride report.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,755
I think it speaks volumes about your son's maturity that he was planning this a year ago.

I bet your new bike is going to be perfect for this trip. I kind of skimmed through some of the thread so maybe I missed it; do you have intercoms?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #22
Turtletownman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
When my youngest daughter turned 8 she started riding. I tried to give her choices of where to go and where to stay when I could. She normally got two choices either of which worked for me. She felt like she had some control over what happened.
She was good for about 650 interstate miles and when at a destination obviously a lot less. On an unplanned BRP trip, we met a school teacher who talked about the Museum of Natural History dinosaur display in DC and all plans changed.
A look at the map afterward and off we went to the outer banks. The park service has a junior ranger program which she loved.
We did Mesa Verde on her western trip. Trowing snowballs in June in New Mexico is an experience for a girl raised in Atlanta. We left the park in a light snow.
She had a leather jacket, custom made chaps a good helmet and raingear. She got hot-she got cold and was already to do it again. She was bad about going to sleep on the back and I never found a good answer other than a threat to return home.
Our travel was on an R65.
When her daughter was born, I asked when can she ride? As soon as she can wear a helmet was the answer. Hasn't happened yet.
Many women I met in our travels said they were glad their fathers had taken them on motorcycle trips or either they wished they had.
It will be a great trip.
Bob
Turtletownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #23
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtletownman View Post
When my youngest daughter turned 8 she started riding. I tried to give her choices of where to go and where to stay when I could. She normally got two choices either of which worked for me. She felt like she had some control over what happened.
She was good for about 650 interstate miles and when at a destination obviously a lot less. On an unplanned BRP trip, we met a school teacher who talked about the Museum of Natural History dinosaur display in DC and all plans changed.
A look at the map afterward and off we went to the outer banks. The park service has a junior ranger program which she loved.
We did Mesa Verde on her western trip. Trowing snowballs in June in New Mexico is an experience for a girl raised in Atlanta. We left the park in a light snow.
She had a leather jacket, custom made chaps a good helmet and raingear. She got hot-she got cold and was already to do it again. She was bad about going to sleep on the back and I never found a good answer other than a threat to return home.
Our travel was on an R65.
When her daughter was born, I asked when can she ride? As soon as she can wear a helmet was the answer. Hasn't happened yet.
Many women I met in our travels said they were glad their fathers had taken them on motorcycle trips or either they wished they had.
It will be a great trip.
Bob
Awesome story - thanks for sharing it.

My daughter is almost 3, and I can't wait to take her for a real ride. She's been on my small dirt bike, but to do a road trip like yours would be a dream.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #24
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
Do it!

If my 5 year old can happily handle 6500 miles I'm quite sure your soon-to-be teenager can handle the ride to AK, and you'll be creating memories that neither of you will ever forget! I would LOVE to take my kiddo up to AK when he gets a bit older and I know he'd be keen to go!

Two big tours under our belts and looking forward to another one this summer!

Here are some of our previous adventures-

Father and Son US Road Trip 2013 WA-MN on a Bavarian Land Yacht
Father and Son Road Trip- 9 States, 2 Months, 6500 Miles!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT

TonyBKK screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 10:06 PM
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #25
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Be careful with those Alaska trips folks... I rode up in 2008... I live there now
mach1mustang351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #26
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Laugh

Given a little planning long trips with kids is doable and fun for both parties. My daughter started two month trips when she was around 7 or 8 on the back of a tandem bicycle. We switched to a GS when she was 12 or 13. On the GS we generally did about 25,000 miles a trip. Went to a Ural and kept the mileage about the same. Then onto a hacked BMW mileage went up. We mostly camp, and generally just wander with no real destinations in mind. Some days we see huge iron butt miles other days none, keep it fun and the kids will have memories to last a lifetime.

This is actually the first summer she is staying home and working getting ready for college!
drbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #27
B.E. Coyote OP
(Super-Genius)

Well despite being called irresponsible and stupid right here on good ole ADV, we are set to leave on June 19th.

Short day from Va. to Pittsburgh to see my folks for a night then we will be on the road till early August.

We took a good shake down trip over Memorial Day weekend. Our other trips have been on an FJR pulling a small trailer. We tried this with the Tenere and the trailer on some rough roads in the National Forest. The trailer took the beating but it wasn't fun. We decided that for this trip we will just pack small and leave the trailer at home.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #28
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,848
Good for you. Way better to ditch the trailer and go light.

And to hell with the idiots that would wrap their kids in bubble wrap. Life is about managing risk, not trying to avoid it at all cost. We started taking long MC trips with our daughter when she was 8. She's been on lots of trips to Baja and to Canada, Alaska and Panama on the back seat of my bikes. Great experiences for a kid. And let's just say she has made me proud to be her father as she has grown into an adult.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #29
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
Wishing you a fantastic ride and looking forward to your ride report!!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #30
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,028
My oldest (12) and I go on many day and weekend rides together. The only issue is she tends to fall asleep and that makes me nervous. I tap her leg from time to time to wake her up. She is in charge of stops (bladder size u know) and photography. She picks the destination, I the route.

She too wants to go to Alaska, she's been there before. And Maine. She is an honors student, so before 9th grade we go to Maine, then after highschool we go to Alaska, unless I can swing it earlier.

You need to do a detailed report. What worked/didn't, what HE liked/didn't, and what you and he would like to have changed. Include costs (if you don't mind the intrusiveness) and equipment. Do you plan to camp???

Great idea!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote