Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #61
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Very good review again I must say but very strange about this soft forks. This is the first time I heard some one actually had a bad review about WP suspension.
If you saying you did the adjustments all the way to hardest and if it is still too soft either the rider too heavy or the that bike got a little problem.

Ktm 1190 one of the best enduro bike I think at the moment in the market.

Ps - I still have some wankers here saying that I didn't read or listen the story just go away and think about your comments. I had manual suspension all the bikes I had so when I write something just read and try to understand before stupid cocky comments.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #62
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
PPiA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #63
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Very good review again I must say but very strange about this soft forks. This is the first time I heard some one actually had a bad review about WP suspension.
If you saying you did the adjustments all the way to hardest and if it is still too soft either the rider too heavy or the that bike got a little problem.
Maaaaate. The bike forks don't have a problem. The observation is the forks bottomed on numerous occasions when we were RIDING HARD. There is nothing wrong with the forks bottoming, IF, the design brief is to cater for the average rider.

It's like you're saying, well if you observed that, then you're probably mistaken
or the forks weren't set up correctly, or the bike had a problem. NO PROBLEMS. NO BAD REVIEW. NO BAD SETUP. NO AXE TO GRIND. NO HEAVY RIDER. THAT'S WHAT WE OBSERVED! THAT'S WHAT i REPORTED.
edog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #64
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post
Maaaaate. The bike forks don't have a problem. The observation is the forks bottomed on numerous occasions when we were RIDING HARD. There is nothing wrong with the forks bottoming, IF, the design brief is to cater for the average rider.

It's like you're saying, well if you observed that, then you're probably mistaken
or the forks weren't set up correctly, or the bike had a problem. NO PROBLEMS. NO BAD REVIEW. NO BAD SETUP. NO AXE TO GRIND. NO HEAVY RIDER. THAT'S WHAT WE OBSERVED! THAT'S WHAT i REPORTED.

ok still i find it strange that you observed that. to bottom the forks in sports mode isnt a easy task really thats all i can say :) i know the WP is great ..
Old 08-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #65
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
It's OK if quote this pic? I think it's a good response. Again.
More to come, stay tuned.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #66
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
ok still i find it strange that you observed that. to bottom the forks in sports mode isnt a easy task really thats all i can say :) i know the WP is great ..
Let it go mate. The guy is talking about riding it hard 'off road', so you are going to bottom out the forks and the rear suspension.

All my previous EXC's including my current 350 F bottom out at both ends when you hit the big jumps, whoops etc. They all have decent WP suspension and far more travel than the 1190, including the R version, its simply physics.

The point is KTM produce great dirt bikes and some of that knowledge and DNA gets into their road bikes, which is why the 950/990/1190 are the bikes to beat off road.

The WP suspension is not the limiting factor, or indeed the bike - it is all down to the riders skill. Few of us can take these bikes to their limit and beyond.

It's just nice knowing you can try.............
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #67
FuTAnT
KTM 990ADV

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
You're flogging a dead horse. There's more suspension threads than I can count on here complaining about the 990/950/690 WP suspension being OK, but never fundamentally great from the factory. Each bike has their own quirks and short comings. Why would we expect the 1190 to be any different? The front end on the 990 is notoriously soft, perhaps they have carried through that theme to the 1190.

Long ago I reserved the opinion that every bike I buy goes straight to the suspension tuner a few weeks after purchase for the required re-spring and re-valve. Presenting it would work any other way is like me trying to believe in honest politicians. Evidently its the same for the 1190. No problem, just enjoy the massive improvement when its complete.

So I guess where I'm coming from is I actually think all bike suspension is shit, some are just a little less shit than others.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #68
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:

Ktm 1190 one of the best enduro bike I think at the moment in the market.

Ps - I still have some wankers here saying that I didn't read or listen the story just go away and think about your comments. I had manual suspension all the bikes I had so when I write something just read and try to understand before stupid cocky comments.
Saying they are on the soft side is not a bad review... You need to experience and read more about off-roading with the stock WP suspension setup mate.

The common 'complaint' is that they are a bit on the soft side. But it's not seen as a problem because altering suspension setting on an off-road bike is common practice.
The forks are fine, but become a littlebit on the soft side when you punish them. There is no problem with the bike or rider, it's the soft spring or oil viscosity/level that needs some adjustment.
Some people even want a revalve to get things perfectly to their likings.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/adven...ong_term_test/
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/178/14...omparison.aspx

The road performance of the stock WP's on the other hand are superb!
Took my '08 SDR to the tuner and he just made some adjustment settings on em and told me to come back when i felt i was on the edge of them, i never came back.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 01:05 AM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #69
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Saying they are on the soft side is not a bad review... You need to experience and read more about off-roading with the stock WP suspension setup mate.

The common 'complaint' is that they are a bit on the soft side. But it's not seen as a problem because altering suspension setting on an off-road bike is common practice.
The forks are fine, but become a littlebit on the soft side when you punish them. There is no problem with the bike or rider, it's the soft spring or oil viscosity/level that needs some adjustment.
Some people even want a revalve to get things perfectly to their likings.

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/adven...ong_term_test/
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/178/14...omparison.aspx

The road performance of the stock WP's on the other hand are superb!
Took my '08 SDR to the tuner and he just made some adjustment settings on em and told me to come back when i felt i was on the edge of them, i never came back.
I agree WP is superb, yes I read some complains yesterday actually. My only complain with the suspension would be is when I am two up on comfort damping the front dive a lot but its ok you don't feel any bumbs on the road.

God I miss my bike guys still waiting for my ignition. 2 weeks ago its attempt to stolen. They brake the steering lock and ignition key.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #70
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I agree WP is superb, yes I read some complains yesterday actually. My only complain with the suspension would be is when I am two up on comfort damping the front dive a lot but its ok you don't feel any bumbs on the road.

God I miss my bike guys still waiting for my ignition. 2 weeks ago its attempt to stolen. They brake the steering lock and ignition key.
That's the trade-off for comfort. My SDR had a good anti-dive setup build into it, but it was not comfortable. It was even terrible to ride for longer hauls.

Suspension is giving and taking, if you want performance your giving up comfort, and vice versa. That's why the stock adventure bikes are a tad soft in the front, KTM wants them to be comfortable so the public enjoys the ride instead of being shaken up. The % of riders that wil bottom the thing out is marginal to the riders that are happy with the stock setup. If they spring them harder the first complaint wil be the lack of comfort, and you don't want to be reviewed as an uncomfortable travel bike. That's a death sentence to your sales number. People buy travel bikes to have comfort, so it's the first priority.

The low % of riders that do get to the edge of the stock setup are mostly found on forums like these. That's why the subject is commonly discussed here, and that just gives a false impression about the WP forks.
The ammount of posts about suspension alteration makes it seem like the setup is horrible for the common rider, while it isn't.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 07:25 AM
Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #71
grunkster
n00b

Oddometer: 6
lol i have never seen "superb" and "great" included in a WP conversation in any motocross circles!! "harsh" and "horrible" are more like what i hear.
grunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #72
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunkster View Post
lol i have never seen "superb" and "great" included in a WP conversation in any motocross circles!! "harsh" and "horrible" are more like what i hear.
That's why the "superb" is about the road performance and not offroad.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #73
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
That's the trade-off for comfort. My SDR had a good anti-dive setup build into it, but it was not comfortable. It was even terrible to ride for longer hauls.

Suspension is giving and taking, if you want performance your giving up comfort, and vice versa. That's why the stock adventure bikes are a tad soft in the front, KTM wants them to be comfortable so the public enjoys the ride instead of being shaken up. The % of riders that wil bottom the thing out is marginal to the riders that are happy with the stock setup. If they spring them harder the first complaint wil be the lack of comfort, and you don't want to be reviewed as an uncomfortable travel bike. That's a death sentence to your sales number. People buy travel bikes to have comfort, so it's the first priority.

The low % of riders that do get to the edge of the stock setup are mostly found on forums like these. That's why the subject is commonly discussed here, and that just gives a false impression about the WP forks.
The ammount of posts about suspension alteration makes it seem like the setup is horrible for the common rider, while it isn't.
That is exactly what I am thinking. Those riders who will ride them hard off road will change the springs or the whole fork for longer wheel travel.
So everything is good.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #74
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgios View Post
That is exactly what I am thinking. Those riders who will ride them hard off road will change the springs or the whole fork for longer wheel travel.
So everything is good.
And even the wheels
Old 08-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #75
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Thanks e dog for the honest and practice review. Being a heavy guy and wanting to spend my money on a bike that can do it all and want to make sure it doesn't need even more money spent on what should be good equipment coming from the factory.
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote