Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
You've clearly not attended a Ryan Young school, he's going to spend the first day on as basic of techniques as you can get.

Trying to steer anyone away from his school to read a book would be pretty damn silly considering the man spent a considerable amount of time learning from Bernie back in the day!
Absolutely agree with you Longboardr. Would recommend this clinic over reading a book any day. Heck it's even cheaper than the price Choicecut found for a copy of the book anyway!

Agree with garrett on balance drills. Also practice full lock figure eights and front wheel bounces too!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
GrayEagleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Delayed Response

I appoligize for the delayed response to all that have sent PMs to me expressing interest. I am currently on a business trip that does not allow frequent access to the interwebs.

I believe I am caught up on responding to messages, if not sent a follow up and I will reply soon.

Thanks to all that have chimed in and answered questions regarding the event. Hopefully we can get a few more riders to come out and hone their skills and have fun while doing so. Hope to talk to you soon.
GrayEagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagleRider View Post

Also, Ryan Young will be able to provide a few bikes as rentals for the event at $200 for the weekend.
With this, I may have a friend to join in. He's been interested since I got a trials bike last year. Good guy, excellent rider, always wanting to hone his skills.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 290
Getting pretty excited for this class! I am going to ride in the novice class at the Trials Inc. event on the 31st and the 1st and should have a really good idea of what needs work. Can't wait to go to NC. Wife and daughter decided to tag along and hang out at the hotel pool all day while i'm in the class.
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #20
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Absolutely agree with you Longboardr. Would recommend this clinic over reading a book any day. Heck it's even cheaper than the price Choicecut found for a copy of the book anyway!

Agree with garrett on balance drills. Also practice full lock figure eights and front wheel bounces too!

Thing is most newcomers to trials have no real idea of the basic techniques, and without a reasonable grasp of these attending a trials school isnt going to be of much use. For more advanced riders, who are comfortable with the basics a school is a very good idea.

Newcomers would be well advised to get a copy of the Schrieber book, and to remember that learning to ride a trials bike reasonably well, is directly linked to mastering the basic techniques first, and there is little point even attempting the more advanced stuff initially.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #21
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Thing is most newcomers to trials have no real idea of the basic techniques, and without a reasonable grasp of these attending a trials school isnt going to be of much use. For more advanced riders, who are comfortable with the basics a school is a very good idea.

Newcomers would be well advised to get a copy of the Schrieber book, and to remember that learning to ride a trials bike reasonably well, is directly linked to mastering the basic techniques first, and there is little point even attempting the more advanced stuff initially.

Have you ever attended a Ryan Young Clinic? As stated previously by other inmates, you start the clinic with bike setup, figure eights and balance drills...basic stuff I'd say.

Most people are visual learner's, and there's NO better way to learn than by the I do, we do, you do methodology that Ryan uses.

This thread is about giving riders/inmates the opportunity to learn from a fantastic instructor in a great clinic environment. Please don't try to talk people out of that experience.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:

Have you ever attended a Ryan Young Clinic? As stated previously by other inmates, you start the clinic with bike setup, figure eights and balance drills...basic stuff I'd say.

Most people are visual learner's, and there's NO better way to learn than by the I do, we do, you do methodology that Ryan uses.

This thread is about giving riders/inmates the opportunity to learn from a fantastic instructor in a great clinic environment. Please don't try to talk people out of that experience.
You have to ignore him. I think he spends all his free time posting contrary comments in threads.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
The Bernie Book is great and should be considered a "must have" for trials riders IF you can find one reasonably priced ($40-50, tops, IMO). As others have stated, there was a recent influx of copies and there should still be some available.

That said, there is absolutely NO reason to think you need the book prior to attending the RYP clinic. As others have stated, Ryan starts with basics (bike setup, body position, etc.) and works up from there. Brand new riders may not get as much out of the more advanced stuff, but it is very far from a waste of time.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
GrayEagleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

LOL TW, please tell us how you really feel about this.

I am waiting for how TS is going to segway to how learning on a twin shocker bike is better vs a modern bike into this thread.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #25
GrayEagleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
With this, I may have a friend to join in. He's been interested since I got a trials bike last year. Good guy, excellent rider, always wanting to hone his skills.
If he is interested have him shoot me a PM and I can give more detail. We are still looking for more riders.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagleRider View Post
If he is interested have him shoot me a PM and I can give more detail. We are still looking for more riders.
I talked to him last night after I sent him the link. He's interested, just has a couple of John Prine tickets to unload for the same weekend.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #27
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 729
Cry If only...

I would love to make it to this, but a trip from Boise this Oct. just isn't in scope.

Maybe next year. For everyone that can make it please post your thoughts after the class. I am sure it will be fun and great learning, but always love to hear how things like this went.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 189
Guys
Sign me up, I will get the deposit to you here in a week or so.

Trying to talk a friend into coming and renting one of the rentals, not sure if I can get any participants to join me but may show up with a small entourage lol.

Thanks

wb
Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
GrayEagleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds good. I will sent out an update this weekend with all the details up to this point.

Got room for a few more riders if anyone else is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb22rules View Post
Guys
Sign me up, I will get the deposit to you here in a week or so.

Trying to talk a friend into coming and renting one of the rentals, not sure if I can get any participants to join me but may show up with a small entourage lol.

Thanks

wb
Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
GrayEagleRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update on RYP Clinic

Still a few more spots available for this event.

It should be a great learning experience as well as a lot of fun for all riders attending. The area designated for the clinic has a very good mix of various terrain to support Ryan’s instruction as well as new challenges to attempt during break out sessions. Spectators are welcome.

These events are based on riders availability and willingness to host such an event vs scheduled on a reoccuring basis. In other words, if you are waiting til next year to attend a RYP Trials Clinic the opportunity might not be there.

Best,

GER