User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
jaredfedex OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I joined the agility club yesterday

brand new! kind of got ripped off on the price 2500, but oh well that's my fault for not researching "assembly" and "freight" fees
jaredfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,530
Welcome. You actually didn't do to bad depending on what the sales tax and title and registration are in your state. A new Agility 125 is $1900 MSRP, and it would have cost me around $2250 OTD without the fees. I've noticed that dealers who only sell Taiwan and Chinese scooters don't charge those fees, while major brand dealers (Japanese, Piaggio, Vespa, BMW, etc.) who basically carry Kymco as a "sideline" do tend to add on fees.

As far as the scooter itself, I think you will love it. It's as fast or faster than a Zuma 125, and pretty much the same quality. Kymcos rarely break down as long as you do the maintenance. Should be a ton of fun, and very inexpensive transportation if that's what you are going to use it for.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
jaredfedex OP
Adventurer

also had a question about servicing/ servicing charges. The manual says to bring it in for a full service at 200 miles but the dealership told me to do it at 600. does anyone have any experience with the first full service and how much it costs?

GOOD TO HEAR yeah that makes me feel better about the purchase. and yes i'm using it to commute to and from work. oh and i've already driven it around alot! it is alot of fun to ride it and i'm happy I bought it!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

600 is about right, but if you are mechanically inclined, there is nothing on it you can't do yourself, and save a fortune. Hardest thing to begin with are the valves, if you can do that you can do anything else. At around 12,000 miles it will need a new drive belt and rollers, that is also easy. Most everybody disagrees, but I recommend changing the oil every 1000 miles or so on a 125. They only hold about a qt. and those small engines are really hard on oil. I have 24,000 miles on a Japanese 125, and it still runs like new. I have always changed the oil in it at around 1000 miles. It's cheap and easy. One qt. of oil, and no filter. My Japanese 125 was made in Taiwan. It's a Vino 125, and I paid $3000 OTD for it back in 2008. An Agility 125 should be the same quality.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
jaredfedex OP
Adventurer

i've changed a spare tire once! haha but yeah i think i can do a lot of it myself as well. without a doubt i will be doing the oil changes because it is so easy on a scooter. I agree with the every 1000 miles too oil is not that expensive and doing it over the weekend is something i can easily make time for. i'll have to look up info on how to do the more technical stuff and see if i'm ready to dive right into the harder aspects you mentioned like valves.
hopefully mine lasts that long as well!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Nice

I think most people get screwed by dealers.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
I think most people get screwed by dealers.
So do I, but you had better be careful about saying stuff like that on here. Seems like almost everyone here is more than willing to fork over their hard earned money to crooked dishonest dealers. Many even seem to take pride in it. Even most wealthy people didn't get that way by throwing their money away.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
So do I, but you had better be careful about saying stuff like that on here. Seems like almost everyone here is more than willing to fork over their hard earned money to crooked dishonest dealers. Many even seem to take pride in it. Even most wealthy people didn't get that way by throwing their money away.

Same can be said for auto mechanics jerry, if you want to generalize.

Fact is every occupation is in it to make a profit....
Old 08-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,891
Sweet looking scoot! Happy riding!

I hate paying excessive fees but normal profit is no problem. We want the dealers around when we need them so, support them when you can.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,872
That's one of the best values in all of motorized two wheeling. Good choice!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Sweet looking scoot! Happy riding!

I hate paying excessive fees but normal profit is no problem. We want the dealers around when we need them so, support them when you can.
Agree.

Some posters (who shall remain nameless) grouse and call dealers uncomplimentary names at every opportunity when all those dealers are doing is being a part of the distribution model in our capitalistic economy.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredfedex View Post
i will be doing the oil changes because it is so easy on a scooter. I agree with the every 1000 miles
Since most GY6 type scooter engines only have an oil strainer screen, consider initially changing oil frequently to flush out the suspended metallic micro-particles. Walmart SuperTech 15W40 works fine for break-in oil. When the glitter in the drain pan subsides, consider a more slippery oil such as Delo 400 LE. Everyone has to make their own determination if the synthetics are worth the money.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Same can be said for auto mechanics jerry, if you want to generalize.

Fact is every occupation is in it to make a profit....
I'm retired... of course, I'm in it for the love of it, not the profit. These "fun summer jobs"?? Wife's idea... and then, I'm in it for survival (the couch is a cold, lonely place), while she likes being productive. Fortunately, she gets over that after a few months.

23 days, but who's counting? Then, a few playing days, and we'll be heading south. Back to the scooters and the hot tub (the two things I miss the most when we're living on the boat).

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

If someone grouses about the dealer added mark-ups, don't take offense... if you like 'em, pay 'em. As a former business owner, I can't get into paying MORE than retail for a product. Consumer protection forced the issue of a sticker price on cars years ago. Not just cars, many products list a Manufacturers Suggest RETAIL Price... not too many savvy consumers are willing to pay more than that price. If you want to support a dealer, buy more stuff from them: helmets, jacket, bike accessories... how many people shop online for that stuff to find the best price?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
I have a Super 8 which has nearly the same engine. I changed the oil at around 180 miles, then 600, then every 1200 after that. I use Rotella T6 full synthetic. My manual did not call for a valve check until 2500 mi. The newer ones call for the first one much earlier. I didn't check mine until 2500. Out of the four times I checked the valves, they needed adjustment twice. Oil changes are easy, no need to have the dealer do that. I also changed the belt, rollers and sliding blocks around 7,000. It wasn't to difficult. Since these scooters use a very common GY6 engine, it's easy to find information on how to do this maintenance. I found a U tube video showing the valve adjustment in an easy step by step way.

Since there is no oil filter I installed magnetic drain plugs in the engine and final drive. It's cheap insurance, I think a paid 9.99 for a mag plug kit.

After 12,300 miles my scooter is still running great and I certainly haven't taken it easy while riding it.

Enjoy your Agility. Kymco makes some good scooters and I'm sure yours will serve you well.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #15
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Enjoy the Agility 125!

I just took delivery of an Agility 125 myself. So far for what I can tell its an impressive scooter. A really strong and smooth runner. Even better its a tremendous bargain.

Don't worry about the price. If you look at what other comparable scooters go for its still a great deal. Plus they are so economical they pay for themselves in short order anyway.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote