Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,625
I work for the fleet services department of a medium sized city, so my salary and benefits are paid for by the taxpayers. But I am certainly not overpaid. In fact, NO mechanic is over paid, unless they are in business for themselves. Dealer mechanics (car/truck/motorcycle/scooter/whatever) work for peanuts. It's the dealership OWNER who is raking in all the money. The local "powersports" dealership charges $100 per hour for labor. I can guarantee that the head mechanic makes under $20 an hour.

As for dealers, being my own mechanic I don't need them for service/repairs, and wouldn't trust their underpaid and usually incompetent mechanics anyway.

I would get parts and accessories from them, if they were competitive with other local "brick and mortar" places. But here is an example of what you run into. Yesterday, I went to buy a set of front brake pads for my Vulcan 750. I called the dealer to see if they had them in stock. They did. EBC part #FA85. Price $44.99. I then called the local Cycle Gear store, less than 2 miles from that dealer. They also had them. EXACTLY the same part. Price $33.99. $10 less for exactly the same thing. Why? I don't know, but obviously I got them from Cycle Gear.

Back to the Agility, I agree with tortoise for the most part. Change the oil 3-4 times during the first 1000 miles, to get anything left by the manufacturing process out. Cheap oil is fine. I use Shell Rotella 15w40 in my Vino and Zuma, I get it by the gallon. Delo is also fine. JMO, but you don't need synthetic if you change it often. Using synthetic won''t hurt anything, but it cost a LOT more, and still needs to be changed just as often, not because it wears out, but because it gets dirty. Leaving oil in an engine for to long causes sludge build up, and seriously shortens the life of the engine.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Kattzoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Enjoy

That's a great looking scoot! I hope you enjoy every second on it.
Kattzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
andymach23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Excellent choice!

I got a 2006 Agility 125 last year. I had read positive stuff about these on here. It was cheap as it needed work, so I thought It would be worth a punt as an inexpensive scooter experiment.

It is pretty beat up looking with a broken floor board,ripped seat, rust etc. The PO had left it outside. It has 20 thousand KM's on it now. It was very smokey on start up so I stuck a set of valve seals in and a new piston and rings for good measure. It was also leaking oil from the cylinder base gasket.

As the engine is a GY6 clone, parts can be picked up for buttons. A full engine gasket set was less than 10 pounds and the piston kit was about the same. I found it very easy to work on and it is now running great.

The original Cheng Shin tyre was on the front and it was dodgy in the wet so for safety I bought a new set of Avon Vyper Stryke .These transformed the handling of the scooter.

The front wheel bearing collapsed when I was out on a run, thankfully I wasn't too far away from home and nursed it back. A new bearing set was very cheap and simple to fit. Not so easy getting the old race out though.

Another useful point is that it comes standard with a rear rack. This saves even more coin not having to pick one up after market.

Also interesting to hear comments that it is just as fast as the Zuma 125.

I'm delighted with mine overall and love having a scooter. Big fun
andymach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredfedex View Post
also had a question about servicing/ servicing charges. The manual says to bring it in for a full service at 200 miles but the dealership told me to do it at 600. does anyone have any experience with the first full service and how much it costs?

GOOD TO HEAR yeah that makes me feel better about the purchase. and yes i'm using it to commute to and from work. oh and i've already driven it around alot! it is alot of fun to ride it and i'm happy I bought it!
the first service is good at 600 miles imo. its when i had mine and it is fine. mine was $65 or $95? i don't remember which but one or the other. idk what they do besides change oils and tighten a few things? adjust the brakes, maybe. i think some CLAIM to check the valves. they may or may not...who knows? whatever the case i think an hour labor max...give or take....is fair for a first service. $125 tops if its more involved then a general inspection and oil change. imo the best reason to do it is to keep the warranty intact your first few thousand miles if a "self service" first isn't acceptable to the company . otherwise my experience with this scooter is "gas and go." you should not need to see a dealer for 10,000 miles except for tire changes if you can change the oils and clean the air filter and change the brake pads yourself. i mean you never know...this or that can go wrong now and then. but otherwise after the first service....just ride

i also think you got a fairly good price. MSRP on scooters...especially value scooters...are seldom negotiable. you can find a sale or deal, but don't look for a SPECIAL discount on a $1900 125cc scooter with a two year warranty and reliable dealer and parts network. thats a pretty good deal already. where i live add tax and destination and DMV and prep and roll it all up and it's right there at the $2400 mark depending on dealer particulars.

plus it's SUMMER, a sellers market. you did well. another guy on the board got his for $2045 but that was from a dealer dropping the brand and closing 'em out. so you did fair

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 10:03 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I work for the fleet services department of a medium sized city, so my salary and benefits are paid for by the taxpayers. But I am certainly not overpaid. In fact, NO mechanic is over paid, unless they are in business for themselves. Dealer mechanics (car/truck/motorcycle/scooter/whatever) work for peanuts. It's the dealership OWNER who is raking in all the money. The local "powersports" dealership charges $100 per hour for labor. I can guarantee that the head mechanic makes under $20 an hour.

As for dealers, being my own mechanic I don't need them for service/repairs, and wouldn't trust their underpaid and usually incompetent mechanics anyway.

I would get parts and accessories from them, if they were competitive with other local "brick and mortar" places. But here is an example of what you run into. Yesterday, I went to buy a set of front brake pads for my Vulcan 750. I called the dealer to see if they had them in stock. They did. EBC part #FA85. Price $44.99. I then called the local Cycle Gear store, less than 2 miles from that dealer. They also had them. EXACTLY the same part. Price $33.99. $10 less for exactly the same thing. Why? I don't know, but obviously I got them from Cycle Gear.

Back to the Agility, I agree with tortoise for the most part. Change the oil 3-4 times during the first 1000 miles, to get anything left by the manufacturing process out. Cheap oil is fine. I use Shell Rotella 15w40 in my Vino and Zuma, I get it by the gallon. Delo is also fine. JMO, but you don't need synthetic if you change it often. Using synthetic won''t hurt anything, but it cost a LOT more, and still needs to be changed just as often, not because it wears out, but because it gets dirty. Leaving oil in an engine for to long causes sludge build up, and seriously shortens the life of the engine.
Im not going to bother to dig up your post about your left-handed scheme to finagle a new car purchase through a relative out of state to avoid paying taxes in your own state of residence jerry, and from which you derive your income (from taxes) but you seem to want to have things "both ways"....

Having you proclaim that YOURE not overpaid, but to accuse repeatedly that powersports dealers are getting rich on the backs of their employees and unwitting customers (an industry youre not even a part of) shows just how narrowly focused and ill-informed you are.

Your opinions about commerce, and the flow of money etc are so twisted it really waters down any value I might get from your posts about stuff which you actually KNOW something about.

Id venture to guess that were you working in a private enterprise you'd see things in a broader, more balanced way about how business in these United States works and be more empathetic towards the small businessperson trying to supply knuckleheads like us with bikes, parts, and service.

I must add, I think you know more than enough about scooters and bikes to keep me interested in your posts and consider you a good guy to BS with would it not be for your insistence on singing the same off-key song over and over.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #21
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #22
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Im not going to bother to dig up your post about your left-handed scheme to finagle a new car purchase through a relative out of state to avoid paying taxes in your own state of residence jerry, and from which you derive your income (from taxes) but you seem to want to have things "both ways"....

Having you proclaim that YOURE not overpaid, but to accuse repeatedly that powersports dealers are getting rich on the backs of their employees and unwitting customers (an industry youre not even a part of) shows just how narrowly focused and ill-informed you are.

Your opinions about commerce, and the flow of money etc are so twisted it really waters down any value I might get from your posts about stuff which you actually KNOW something about.

Id venture to guess that were you working in a private enterprise you'd see things in a broader, more balanced way about how business in these United States works and be more empathetic towards the small businessperson trying to supply knuckleheads like us with bikes, parts, and service.

I must add, I think you know more than enough about scooters and bikes to keep me interested in your posts and consider you a good guy to BS with would it not be for your insistence on singing the same off-key song over and over.
I've grown so tired of the ill informed garbage he posts that I'm tired of telling him I'm tired of it!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #24
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I've grown so tired of the ill informed garbage he posts that I'm tired of telling him I'm tired of it!
That's funny, I'm also tired of all the ill informed garbage you post as well, but I'm not going to let it bother me. It's just part of the price you pay for being here. I have never before seen a forum with so much arguing. At least the ride reports are pretty good, and some are great.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #25
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #26
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,622
Way to fuck up a nice little thread, ladies. You should be proud of yourselves.

OP, nice bike. You'll have years of fun on that thing.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #27
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Way to fuck up a nice little thread, ladies. You should be proud of yourselves.
True.
Neither the first, nor the last thread to derail around here.
Part of the deal.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 657
this forum is weaksauce when it comes to flaming and arguments. usenet circa 1991 -- now THAT was the place for some firebreathing, hatemongering nerdrage.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #29
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

internets in '91?

foolhardy rumor, i say!

why i was still using cassette tapes and VHS in '91. interent, usenet? no way!!

Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #30
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 657
it was all a fever dream! all kids know the internet didn't happen until al gore laid that first oc trunk down with his bare hands during clinton's '92 campaign!

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote