User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Lagarto OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Opinions on Honda Reflex vs Silverwing?

I'm definitely going to buy a Silverwing or a Reflex or a Yamaha Majesty 400; It will be used for a 20 mile (1 way) trip to work 2-3 times a week on a 55 mph highway- I am really interested in the Reflex to due to fuel economy, but my main concern is how many rpms at 60 mph (will be top speed). I presently use a Yamaha TW200 occasionally, sprocketed for highway use but even so I absolutely hate the high rpms and vibration at 60 mph, just too small of a bike for that for me. from what I've read the Silverwing would easily fit my preferences, but honestly I'd rather have the Reflex due to size and economy--everyone says the reflex will go past 60 easily and they use it on the highways, but what about RPMs and vibration at 60 mph? Thanks for any opinions!

Lagarto screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 06:08 AM
Lagarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,164
I've had both. Reflex will easily fill the bill and be fairly quiet at 60. It can rev pretty high so 60 won't be pushing it at all.

You may read about the k-mod for the reflex to make it accelerate faster. I found the mod made the reflex too noisy for my tastes.

The silverwing will work but gas mpg sux.

The majesty is a single cylinder and IMO the 400cc singles have too much vibration.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
The Reflex will do what you want it to do and it is satisfyingly smooth, though you do get a bit of an unobtrusive vibration under hard acceleration. Fuel economy is fantastic, though the capacity is a bit frustrating Storage space is good. It pulls fairly strongly up to about 60. After that it works hard to make gains, so on those 55 MPH highways, it won't like passing.

I have never owned a Majesty or an SW. I have owned a Burgman 400 and 650. Assuming the Majesty is similar to the Burgman 400 in power, economy and refinement, I'd go with the Majesty. 60-65 MPG, nimble, plenty of power for any kind of normal riding situation, tons of storage and a loads of fun. For anyone who wants to ride on the highway and in town, I think it hits a sweet spot.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
scooterryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Opinions on Honda Reflex vs Silverwing?

A standard Reflex will work fine. If you are concerned about engine speed at 60 mph, you can do a simple modification to the variator to lower the engine speed. I installed a Big Rukus moveable face and 19 gram rollers in the variator. Engine speed went from the stock 6500 rpm at 55 mph to 6000 rpm. Much quieter and averaging about 67 mpg riding two up 50 % of the time. Off the line acceleration is just a little better than stock.

If storage capacity is a concern, it is easy to add a topbox to the Reflex.
scooterryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterryder View Post
A standard Reflex will work fine. If you are concerned about engine speed at 60 mph, you can do a simple modification to the variator to lower the engine speed. I installed a Big Rukus moveable face and 19 gram rollers in the variator. Engine speed went from the stock 6500 rpm at 55 mph to 6000 rpm. Much quieter and averaging about 67 mpg riding two up 50 % of the time. Off the line acceleration is just a little better than stock.

If storage capacity is a concern, it is easy to add a topbox to the Reflex.

What he said, except I have 19g Dr. Pulley sliders installed with my Big Ruckus face b. Rpms vary some due to load and wind, but mine normally runs about 6000 rpm at 60mph. 6500 rpm gets me 70 mph.
I bolted an Actionpacker on the rear luggage carrier, really adds to storage capacity. Trimming the ribbing in the lid will allow a full face helmet to fit.
Reflex has super-easy valve adjustments, easy oil changes, tire are fairly cheap.
I have two, will probably try to buy up some more when the New Forza comes out and everyone has to have one.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
What he said, except I have 19g Dr. Pulley sliders installed with my Big Ruckus face b. Rpms vary some due to load and wind, but mine normally runs about 6000 rpm at 60mph. 6500 rpm gets me 70 mph.
I bolted an Actionpacker on the rear luggage carrier, really adds to storage capacity. Trimming the ribbing in the lid will allow a full face helmet to fit.
Reflex has super-easy valve adjustments, easy oil changes, tire are fairly cheap.
I have two, will probably try to buy up some more when the New Forza comes out and everyone has to have one.

Oh, yea. I tried a Silverwing. Too much vibration and fuel mileage sucked.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarto View Post
I'm definitely going to buy a Silverwing or a Reflex or a Yamaha Majesty 400; It will be used for a 20 mile (1 way) trip to work 2-3 times a week on a 55 mph highway- I am really interested in the Reflex to due to fuel economy, but my main concern is how many rpms at 60 mph (will be top speed). I presently use a Yamaha TW200 occasionally, sprocketed for highway use but even so I absolutely hate the high rpms and vibration at 60 mph, just too small of a bike for that for me. from what I've read the Silverwing would easily fit my preferences, but honestly I'd rather have the Reflex due to size and economy--everyone says the reflex will go past 60 easily and they use it on the highways, but what about RPMs and vibration at 60 mph? Thanks for any opinions!
Like others have stated, the Silverwing is really more than what you need as far your described needs go. I rather think its twin cylinder engine makes it smooth and powerful enough for unimpeded 2 up riding but the fuel economy is disappointing at what seems an average of 50 mpg or less. Maintenance/repair that is more involved than the Reflex may make it less desirable as well.

My Reflex runs less than 6000 RPM at 60mph (GPS) probably in large part due to the fact that I run a car tire on the rear which effectively ups the ratio just a bit. Standard set up will yield 6000 to 6500 at 60 indicated but the actual speed may be lower due to the usually over optimistic speedometer. Mine may not be as fast off the line as a standard set up, but still gets away quicker than cagers at lights. Redline for the Reflex is 8300 RPM I believe, so going 55/60 mph either way you figure is still only going to have you 6500 RPM or less at that speed. And it can comfortably an easily go like that all day long with no strain.

The Reflex does indeed get up to 60 quickly and easily, after that, the wind drag and horsepower available at that speed and RPMs slow down acceleration considerably. I've had mine up to 86 mph(GPS) and still accelerating, but just barely creeping up. From about 60/65 mph on up, it just doesn't have guts enough for responsive/reasonably safe passing power IMO.
However, that never stopped me from pulling my loaded single wheel trailer behind my Reflex at 70/75 mph. I think at 160# or so, I'm on the light side of rider weight, so that may have an effect of the numbers I've given. I've never identified vibration as an issue.

It has good under seat storage, but a lot of people add a top box or some other form of storage capability. I am currently building a streamlined fairing for my 2007 Reflex which will have the added benefit of relatively huge lockable storage. (pics when I'm done with it)

For the riding that you state you will be mostly doing, I would recommend the Reflex over the Silverwing. Easier and cheaper to run and maintain, maneuverable and lighter than the S-wing and probably less expensive to insure as well.
And some Reflex scooters have ABS, so that aspect is available if you deem it necessary though it may add to the price.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Kattzoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Not a bad choice to have either way. From what you describe, it sounds like the Reflex would be good fit for you. I have a Majesty, and can't say enough good things about it, but would have easily considered a Reflex if one was to be found when I was in the market. I hear the Reflex is one of the most comfortable rides in the scooter market.
Kattzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
I've owned both , the Reflex IMHO is a DOG !!!!!

The Silverwing is by far , as in VERY FAR the best bet .

Also the Silverwing is easy to sell , the Reflex is tough to sell .

If you do decide to get the Reflex , don't pay any more than $1,500
for a nice one .

Did I mention DON'T BUY A REFLEX ?

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
I've owned both , the Reflex IMHO is a DOG !!!!!

The Silverwing is by far , as in VERY FAR the best bet .

Also the Silverwing is easy to sell , the Reflex is tough to sell .

If you do decide to get the Reflex , don't pay any more than $1,500
for a nice one .

Did I mention DON'T BUY A REFLEX ?

TheReaper!
?
This? from a guy that has had a gazillion Big Ruckus scooters which BTW is the funny looking twin brother of the Reflex?(same 12" front wheel and basic motor with interchangeable drive line parts and very similar frame)
Some Reflexes may be hard to sell because the current owners ask for too much. I almost agree about not paying more than $1500 for a nice one; 2001 through 2003 especially. 2004 and later under 14000 miles may command a little bit of a higher price. Personally, nowadays, I wouldn't spend more than $2100 for an exceptionally nice low mileage 2004 - 2007 and it would need to have ABS for $2200 and not a dime more. But about the only way that happens is when the seller is desperate, doesn't know the true value of what they are selling, (angry ex-wives might make it into the mix...... It's a reality ladies.... get over it) there is something wrong with it in some way, (cracked, scratched, high mileage, driveability issues etc.)
or the rare low price found at auction other than ebay. Or the occasional ebay seller that knows the $1500 to $1700 that it ends up selling for is really all that they are going to get after posting it for sale a half dozen times already.

For what the OP stated as his needs, the Reflex fills that need very well. The S-wing is bigger, heavier (over 550#), uses more fuel and is more complicated and expensive to maintain and operate. The Majesty might be a bit better price wise than the Silverwing and has a little more HP than the Reflex. But, from what I've seen discussed about the Majesty, the fuel economy is not much better than the S-wing. And, it is considerably heavier than the Reflex as well. 430 to 470# depending on model year for the Majesty as opposed to 375# or so for the Reflex.

For what the OP stated as his wants and needs, the Reflex fills the bill.
anything more would just be excess.
If he wanted more bike, there is always the afore mentioned Majesty or the Burgman 400 could be an option. I'm not sure if the Majesty (US models) have ABS available; ABS is available for the Burgman 400.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

bandito2 screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 05:24 PM
Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
?
This? from a guy that has had a gazillion Big Ruckus scooters which BTW is the funny looking twin brother of the Reflex?(same 12" front wheel and basic motor with interchangeable drive line parts and very similar frame)
Some Reflexes may be hard to sell because the current owners ask for too much. I almost agree about not paying more than $1500 for a nice one; 2001 through 2003 especially. 2004 and later under 14000 miles may command a little bit of a higher price. Personally, nowadays, I wouldn't spend more than $2100 for an exceptionally nice low mileage 2004 - 2007 and it would need to have ABS for $2200 and not a dime more. But about the only way that happens is when the seller is desperate, doesn't know the true value of what they are selling, (angry ex-wives might make it into the mix...... It's a reality ladies.... get over it) there is something wrong with it in some way, (cracked, scratched, high mileage, driveability issues etc.)
or the rare low price found at auction other than ebay. Or the occasional ebay seller that knows the $1500 to $1700 that it ends up selling for is really all that they are going to get after posting it for sale a half dozen times already.

For what the OP stated as his needs, the Reflex fills that need very well. The S-wing is bigger, heavier (over 550#), uses more fuel and is more complicated and expensive to maintain and operate. The Majesty might be a bit better price wise than the Silverwing and has a little more HP than the Reflex. But, from what I've seen discussed about the Majesty, the fuel economy is not much better than the S-wing. And, it is considerably heavier than the Reflex as well. 430 to 470# depending on model year for the Majesty as opposed to 375# or so for the Reflex.

For what the OP stated as his wants and needs, the Reflex fills the bill.
anything more would just be excess.
If he wanted more bike, there is always the afore mentioned Majesty or the Burgman 400 could be an option. I'm not sure if the Majesty (US models) have ABS available; ABS is available for the Burgman 400.

I gave him my opinion relative to his question , did some one die and put you in charge of my opinions ? Why don't you give the guy your opinion also , and get the fuck off my back ass hole . jealous ?

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
Quote:
I gave him my opinion relative to his question , did some one die and put you in charge of my opinions ? Why don't you give the guy your opinion also , and get the fuck off my back ass hole . jealous ?

TheReaper!
This isn't Jo Momma.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Buy what you want

By what you want and deal with the regrets later, or, buy the Silverwing.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
CosmoKorny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I don't think you want a Reflex or a Silverwing, the sweet spot for what you describe is larger than 250cc's and smaller than 650cc's. I say that because I just bought Kymco Xciting 250, and am wanting more acceleration in the 60-75 mph range. The Majesty or Burgman 400 is where I'd be looking if I got a do over.
CosmoKorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

TheReaper!
JEEZ!!! No need to get all teeth grindy and white knuckled/head explody about it. Jealous? No and sorry, but I don't see the relevance in that question. >shrugs shoulders< My message was an observation and a curiosity as to why you would dis the Reflex. (in what I thought was a light hearted way by poking innocent fun at the Big Ruckus) Really sorry that you feel like I was getting on your back about it. That was not my intention at all. I'm OK with your right to opinion and wasn't trying to tell you how or what opinion to give. I did give my opinion too and my thoughts on why I thought the Reflex was better suited to his stated needs and wants and why I thought the Silverwing was maybe too much and if he wanted more in a bike then I offered the Majesty and Burgman 400 as the next step up to consider. Even kind of mostly agreed with you on Reflex pricing. That, and I merely made reccommendations, not directly telling him as to what he should or should not buy like you did. (through a thinly veiled question) Really, that's all it was. No big deal to get all bent up about. So, C'mon... lighten up a bit.

bandito2 screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 10:50 PM