User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
OK...moving back to subject...

I have not ridden the Reflex and so won't opine about it.

Fuel mileage is apparently of interest. On the freeway, my SWing averages 40-45 mpg at 70-75 mph indicated. If I hold it under 70, it's right at 50 mpg. Around town, about 40-42 mpg.

I love the SWing and for me, it would work fine for commuting. It is, however, pretty large and significantly heavier than the Reflex. If the bike will be used for local and commute only and you don't want to wrassle with it, the Reflex might be a better choice for those purposes. If you wish to use the machine for touring, longer distance riding, two-up or so on in addition to commuting and local riding, the SWing might be better.

As others have noted, there are other choices out there as well...the Kymco People 300 GTi has been getting really good reports. The Burgman 400 also good.

Good luck with your choice. Interested to see what you might pick and what your observations are while riding it.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 85
Previously owned a '07 Reflex ABS (did the K-mod and then the BR face & sliders), '09 MP3 400, an '09 TMAX & my current ride, a '12 SW ABS. I've also put about a 1K miles on a buddy's '11 Burg 400 (w/ABS).

My $0.002:

The Reflex will be okay for sub 60 riding, its not a real good idea to try passing around high 50s/low 60s unless you've got a long clean shot. Its a fine little scooter but lacks guts at your intended road speed(s).

Yeah, it will go a good twenty plus over 60 but you're winding it out and you've no juice at the higher speeds for evasive maneuvers when you might need it. If you're riding steeper hills - you'll wish for more power.

Acquisition & maintenance costs are low, MPG is probably the best you'll get for the buck. Its a very solid, nimble ride, just not really a great choice for highway speeds (60s>). You could ride it cross country on the super slabs, it just wouldn't be much fun and not my choice.

The SW will do it all, good on twisty 2 lane back roads and perfectly comfortable at any speed you want to sensibly ride on any public roads.

I don't think you care that some folks with them have noticed a slight wobble in the 90s and up. Mine at the track is dead steady at 100, but off the track - riding much above speed limits is just rolling the dice on any ride.

The SW negatives are much higher acquisition cost, maintenance slightly higher and anywhere from 10-20+ worse MPG. Its way heavier than a Reflex.

The Reflex weight is so relatively low that it would be hard to lose it, the SW - you've got to be careful, if it starts tipping - watch out.

IMO, the Reflex is okay, the SW is way overkill - a 400 Majesty or Burgman would be my choice for your parameters. I'm especially fond of ABS, so that means a Burg 400.

Its got all the power you'll need, handles well and the post '07 models have reportedly been reliable. What you didn't mention but is critical is how well the ergos fit you. That would be a primary consideration driving my choice overall.

Ride safe.

Pilgrim21784 screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 09:59 AM
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
blackcat54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Not sure if you are looking for used or new.

For new, I'd take a look at the Honda Forza. It just might hit the sweet spot being capable for both hwy and local riding.

I guess it is a (small?) step down in price & performance from Burgman 400.
blackcat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat54 View Post
Not sure if you are looking for used or new.

For new, I'd take a look at the Honda Forza. It just might hit the sweet spot being capable for both hwy and local riding.

I guess it is a (small?) step down in price & performance from Burgman 400.
Price point for them is kind of high I think it 5 to 6 grand in canada when they come out. COmpaired to 1500 to 2500 for a use reflex.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,414
I ride a Yamaha XT225 with stock gearing on the freeway for over 100 miles at the time at 65 mph with no problems (other than getting on and off) so I guess different people feel differently about vibration. To me it is part of riding a motorcycle.

Of your 3 choices, I would go with the Majesty. It's big enough for freeway travel if you want, and has no known mechanical issues, other than a $600 valve adjustment at 26,000 miles. If you can get one with way less miles on it for a good price, that shouldn't be a big deal.

I just don't like the Reflex, never did. If you want a 250, I seriously suggest considering a Helix.

JerryH screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 09:28 AM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #21
Lagarto OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks, all of this has been very helpful..I think I will pass on the SW but am leaning toward the Majesty..I will post the outcome of this when it happens in the next few weeks. I have the opportunity to try both the Reflex and Majesty (huge used dealership here) and will pick one!
Lagarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,422
As the owner of two Reflexes, I think I would consider the Majesty as the scoot of choice for your commute. For mine, the Reflex is just fine.

[REDACTED]

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 07:13 AM
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #23
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Oh God, here we go...

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #24
Texnmidwest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
From reading this I can say that one can not truly go wrong with any of the choices!

I have a Silverwing and I can only say that it is my first scooter and I am truly enjoying it. Handles nicely on the highway and travels at 70mph with out strain. Fuel milage is not what I bought it for. It gets WAY better milage than my Volvo S70. I bought it as a grocery getter and for meadering down the rural roads. It fits the bill nicely.

I like the Swing. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't like the others as well!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #25
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I wouldn't rule out a Downtown 300 as it seems to have similar specs to the Forza (minus the ABS option) but would probably come out the door quite a bit cheaper.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarto View Post
Thanks, all of this has been very helpful..I think I will pass on the SW but am leaning toward the Majesty..I will post the outcome of this when it happens in the next few weeks. I have the opportunity to try both the Reflex and Majesty (huge used dealership here) and will pick one!
The Majesty is a much better choice for highway use than the Reflex , as long as you are not 2 up you will have enough power . That said , if you are like most you will eventually want bigger and a little more power . Make sure you take your time and look around for the best scooter at the best price . Don't be afraid to make a "low ball offer" , bikes aren't selling and with winter around the corner it's a buyer's market for sure . Be patient grasshopper and stay away from the dealers , paying retail is a no no .

Good luck ...........TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
scooterryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
"The Majesty is a much better choice for highway use than the Reflex."

Just curious, but have you ridden a Reflex on the highway? Not being nasty, just wanting to know as I have ridden a Majesty and can't say there is a whole lot of difference between the two except for size and weight.

I weight 200 lbs, my wife about 115 lbs and we ride two up all the time. Legal highway limits here in Illinois are no problem at all.
scooterryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #28
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterryder View Post

Just curious, but have you ridden a Reflex on the highway? Not being nasty, just wanting to know as I have ridden a Majesty and can't say there is a whole lot of difference between the two except for size and weight.

I weight 200 lbs, my wife about 115 lbs and we ride two up all the time. Legal highway limits here in Illinois are no problem at all.
I owned a Reflex once , it had like 200 miles on it when I got it . I bought it for a flip and was amazed at what a dog it was . I bought it cheap and wound up selling it for what I paid . A couple of people test drove it and they too thought it was a dog , even after I re-jetted the carb . It was virtually brand new an NO ONE wanted it . My Big Ruckus scooters were the same way off the show room floor , but after re-jetting the carb and installing a jcosta the Big Ruckus ran like a 400cc scooter . IMHO that scooter was the absolute worst scooter I've ever owned or driven . As far as the Big Ruckus goes , with the mods it's a great around town scooter . By no means would I take it on the freeway in heavy traffic , I don't think you should be driving any thing that take a wide open throttle 100% of the time . Both the Big Ruckus and the Reflex are to heavy for that little 250cc engine , I made the B.R. work with the mods power wise and the fact that I could install a mega trunk and the ass end of it for running errands etc . Bottom line both of them of the showroom floor ran for SHIT ! Maybe that's why they didn't sell ?

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #29
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,422
So interesting to hear that. Both of my Reflexes run great and go like Hell. Yours must have been made on a Monday...... I have K-Modded both of mine but have not messed with the carburetors. I am considering a BR variator face and some different rollers though. I do agree with the weight issue, I can't figure out why they need to be so heavy.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterryder View Post

I owned both a Reflex and a Burgman 400. The Reflex was fine up to about 60 indicated. In stock form you could coax it up to an indicated 72 which is probably an actual 67, but it took a long time to get there. On 55 MPH roads, the Reflex is great unless you want to pass. If you do, it doesn't have the guts. The Burgman 400 had plenty of ass to pass. I ran it up to an indicated 93.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote