User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #31
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,455
Subscribed.

I've been wanting to ride central NV for a couple of years now. Not sure about hundreds of miles of silty sand tho.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Definitely Nevada riding style :yup

Bet someone's filter was a little... clogged

Think I been on that road........ no wait.... they all look alike

Awesome guys, your friggin hardcore

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I brought some flags and had planned on going up to the Crash Site to put them up there on Friday when we arrived but I left too late and we drove too slow and there was too much to do when we arrived at DJ so there was no time for that. I left them with Bobby at the DJ bar. If someone is by there, maybe they could take them up??
We were up at the B24 Site last week, most of the flags that HodokaGuy and crew took up are still in pretty good shape. Some had been blown over or had the sticks crack from wind, we were able to get most of them back up and standing as intended.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #34
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,040
Looking good. I'm following along out here. More please.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #35
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
Doing good,thanks for the pics and story.

A friend and I rode up to the plane crash site,it was about 106 degrees and the bikes didnt like chugging up that road and stopping to open gates so much. Some steaming.

The hot springs near the beginning of the road to the crash site are a nice place to camp.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #36
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x View Post
Riding Nevada is great. Looking forward to more of your story.
Still waiting for more comments on Day 1 from the other riders...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Whoa! That's a busy first day out. Buncha miles and silt and rocks,sounds like Nevada. Kudos to the Gentleman riding the KLR,that's a lotta bike to ride through tricky desert.

Hard to plan around smacking a metal grate buried in the silt,that sucks!

Looks like a nice camping spot,hope the next day goes smoother.
It was a great day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKSPANKER View Post

We found out they are Giant Mushrooms and can get up to 40lbs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvatia_gigantea
Thanks for looking up the info on the giant mushrooms. Those things were a trip!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #37
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
We were up at the B24 Site last week, most of the flags that HodokaGuy and crew took up are still in pretty good shape. Some had been blown over or had the sticks crack from wind, we were able to get most of them back up and standing as intended.
Thanks for checking. Is the sign still up there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Looking good. I'm following along out here. More please.
We are all waiting for the picture guy to post up his shots from Day 1! Hopefully he will get on it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Doing good,thanks for the pics and story.

A friend and I rode up to the plane crash site,it was about 106 degrees and the bikes didnt like chugging up that road and stopping to open gates so much. Some steaming.

The hot springs near the beginning of the road to the crash site are a nice place to camp.
Bog Hot looks like it would make a good camp spot.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #38
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Subscribed.

I've been wanting to ride central NV for a couple of years now. Not sure about hundreds of miles of silty sand tho.
The silty part was only for about 30 miles or less. (Maybe it was more??? )I am not sure really how long it was. It did suck big time and I was happy when it finally ended. Crossing the Owyhee Desert is always a long slog.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #39
oregonlmd
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 159
Been waiting for this report all summer. My Nevada plans for the summer ended June 8th with a splintered head of my left humerus from an over-the-bars getoff on the xr650r while on the Black Dog Dualsport. Crashing in the desert is seriously scary.
Looking forward to more....
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #40
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Thanks for checking. Is the sign still up there?
Yes, the memorial sign is in great shape. By your next trip the flags may need replacing

oldtrucks screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 10:58 PM
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #41
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Last night was my first time trying out the 'multi-quote' option. I did not realize at first that it only lets you do 3 at once. That kinda screwed me up. I will have to try to figure out how to do more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
I think I'll tag along. Nevada was termed by Glen Plake as "just like Baja
20 years ago." If it's half as good, I'm in.
I have not been to Baja yet. We were thinking of going down there in 2011 but it seemed much easier to go to Nevada. There is still so much to see in NV, I am not sure when I will make it to Baja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Great intro pics. And the story line is developing nicely . . .
Hi RRR. Thanks for the tips on Zion. I can't wait to share the beauty of the SW with my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
In!

Love those pics
Of northern NV
It is an amazing place. There are still more great pictures to come. Good to see you are following along. I am looking forward to your next report.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #42
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonlmd View Post
Been waiting for this report all summer. My Nevada plans for the summer ended June 8th with a splintered head of my left humerus from an over-the-bars getoff on the xr650r while on the Black Dog Dualsport. Crashing in the desert is seriously scary.
Sorry to hear you're hurt & not riding. I read your post on nailing the gate last year somewhere in the desert (Owyhee?). Use the time to rehab the bike, that's what I did after losing an argument with a rock. I popped the bone out the top of my foot and it reset again. 6 weeks gimp and mechanic time for the most part.

Now where the hell is the rest of the crew??
Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #43
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonlmd View Post
I know. I know. It takes a lot of free time to get the pictures online, write the text, etc. It all tends to get pushed off until later. I hope you are healing up well. Follow along with your Benchmark. We found some good stuff to incorporate into future rides. I think I have the route from Owyhee to Jarbidge fully sorted out now. There is just one short section near the end that I have not laid tracks on yet. It should be no big deal. Hehe! I know there is one section to avoid! Ooops. I am getting ahead of myself.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #44
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,040
Quote:
I know. I know. It takes a lot of free time to get the pictures online, write the text, etc. It all tends to get pushed off until later. I hope you are healing up well. Follow along with your Benchmark. We found some good stuff to incorporate into future rides. I think I have the route from Owyhee to Jarbidge fully sorted out now. There is just one short section near the end that I have not laid tracks on yet. It should be no big deal. Hehe! I know there is one section to avoid! Ooops. I am getting ahead of myself.
I slid down that section a couple of months ago on my 450. And then watched my wife tip over her four wheeler near the bottom.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #45
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Sorry to hear you're hurt & not riding. I read your post on nailing the gate last year somewhere in the desert (Owyhee?). Use the time to rehab the bike, that's what I did after losing an argument with a rock. I popped the bone out the top of my foot and it reset again. 6 weeks gimp and mechanic time for the most part.

Now where the hell is the rest of the crew??
I hit a cow while passing a truck not far from Bog Hot springs in 2011,about 55mph following my buddies past a line of trucks,this one cow was backed up to the fence on the right side of the road,out of our line of sight.
It sprinted as hard as a cow can sprint in order to come across the ft of a truck and have me hit it in the rear the second I saw it.

Hit with my left handguard and some parts on the left side of the bike,I launched about 60 ft down the dirt road with the bike endoing along with me ending up on top of my legs. Sky/ground/sky/ground sort of thing.

Pulled the handlebar mounting bolts out of the triple clamps with my thighs under the bars on the way over the bars.

The truck guys were ready to call for a life flight copter,but I gradually got up and wobbled around some,kicked some things around on the bike,picked up some loose parts from the road.

Rode back to camp and took a break for the day,it hurt so much just to sit still I rode 80 miles the next day trying to get up to Onion reservoir which was snowed in.

Things can happen quick. I still feel lucky.

Looking forward to more story/pics!