Oddometer: 240

Hokey smokes!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #47
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Day one pictures

:

Ok. Mike has been terrrorizing me to get my pictures up. As has been discussed, Day 1 was a long, long, adventurous start to an eight day trip.

Our crew this year grew considerably from last year (eight riders from last year's six):

Last year my Husky died within sight of Denio Junction due to a problem we would only diagnose that night -- a poorly manufactured Acrebis gas cap. No such problems this year and we were off as a rolling mass of enthusiasm. Our first group stop:

Damn, that is a lot of guys riding together.

Bill riding across a grass covered dry lake:

Here are some more pictures of the odd mushrooms we came across in a small valley between Denio and Orovada:

I have never seen anything like these things before or since. Probably alien pods....

A shot of the 610 as I wait for folks to come up a valley:

Bikes coming up the valley:

Bill thought he would get fancy and pull the front wheel up on the KLR (1/2" of air in this picture). What he didn't realize is that the road turned left at the top of the hill, so this picture was immediately following by a small scream as he managed to throw the bike into the corner:

Here is a rare picture of Dan taking a picture. Dan normally doesn't take pictures and what Dan doesn't know is that this isn't a camera. Its a Cracker Jacks box his wife gave him:

After climbing the first (short) mountain range, we sighted the Kings River valley:

We were surprised that it only took a few hours for the military drones to send ground troops after us (actually private side by sides on a camping trip):

A telephoto shot of the crew coming into the valley, led by Mike's 500exc and its annoyingly bright LED light. I had pre-rode some of this area, including this road, several weeks before on my GS. This was one of the few areas of cross-over, as most of our trip was far from GS friendly:

Just prior to Orovada, Mike made the mistake of looking at this whimpy KTM kickstand. Big mistake, his gaze alone broke the damn thing, meaning that he would be leaning his bike on things for the next eight days:

I'll take a quick break and be back with more of our exciting Day 1 adventure. Talk amongst yourselves until I post again in a few minutes...

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #48
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #49
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26

Dr Dan's hammer time move.
Can't touch this!!
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #50
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Ok. When I last left you we were heading towards Orovada when Mike's kickstand broke without provocation. We spent some time at the gas station, fully expecting KTM's known self-healing properties to kick in and re-generate a kickstand. Sadly, this function appears to not be operational. Besides, bikes look bad ass when leaning against things:

An art shot of the old gas station in Orovada, indicating that Chorizo and Coffee was indeed give you gas:

Heading out of Orovada, we immediately started climbing through a super cool route across the next range:

A little mishap climbing one of the hills:

We soon climbed into an altitude filled with bright wild flowers. This scenery was to continue on and off for the next several days:

Nearing the top of the range:

Chuck was having some carburetion issues at higher elevations, so was the last one up...allowing me to get setup for some shots of his climb.

Dan proving that he much better at posing for pictures than taking them. We came from the left:

More shots of our scenic mountain riding in the wild flowers:

A long telephoto (400mm) can make anything seem congested:

We rode in and out of beautiful groves of trees in the higher altitudes. Sometimes this included water crossings with little surprises. Dale takes a bath:

Some more pictures of us navigating through the mountains of day 1:

And finally, the Owyee desert. I have to say, that we saw some amazingly spectacular scenery during our eight day trek. After having now crossed this area three times (twice in 2012 and once this year), I can say one this: I hate this area. Rough, dusty with little scenery and a lot of treachery:

And why do I hate it? Silt. treacherous roads with foot deep ruts hidden by a sea of silt. You either have to ride the desert to either side or balance the ridge down the middle. Slip into the rut and you get this:

Or even this:

As was mentioned earlier, we ended up burning several hours in the late afternoon due to Chuck's encounter with the grate. Unfortunately, due to our large group, we had spread out over many miles, only tagging up at turns (one rider waiting for the one behind). That meant that on open sections of range land, we probably were spread across a 20 mile stretch of the route. Given the high mileage between gas stops in this area, this meant a lot of waiting and speculating rather than back tracking to find out what had happened. In the end, Mike, Bill and I waited until close to sunset before the remaining five riders came limping up the road. The scene from our waiting point:

This is the last shot of the day. By the time we finally got to camp back up in the hills it was almost fully dark, meaning that it had to be about 9:30pm. Whew. Day two awaits.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #51
tele-steve
ya' mon

Oddometer: 264
subscribed!

Nevada is amazing and it looks like you guys did some serious route planning prior to the trip. Kudos to you!
Some friends and I try to make it out there for week long trip every year. This year, we got skunked by a cold front that kept us out of the Owyhee due to rain. We knew that all of the silt would be impassible if it got wet.

Looking forward to the rest of the photos, story, and maps!
tele-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #52
DRDANTDC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKSPANKER View Post

Dr Dan's hammer time move.
Can't touch this!!
Now those are skills!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #53
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nevada is amazing and it looks like you guys did some serious route planning prior to the trip.
Mastermarine was the Mastermind
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #54
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383

Subscribed........
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #55
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele-steve View Post
Nevada is amazing and it looks like you guys did some serious route planning prior to the trip. Kudos to you!
Some friends and I try to make it out there for week long trip every year. This year, we got skunked by a cold front that kept us out of the Owyhee due to rain. We knew that all of the silt would be impassible if it got wet.

Looking forward to the rest of the photos, story, and maps!
It is not all silt out in the Owyhee. It just seems like it when you are out there. Depending on which way you cross it, there are also rocks and creeks to cross or a really long boring gravel road. These guys are just whiny! I like it even tho it sucks while you are crossing it because it makes it that much better to ride the sweet rdge lines and mountain trails. You have to have the bad to appreciate the good. Sometimes it seems like you have to have the really really bad to appreciate the really totally awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post

Subscribed........
Good to see you on board. I enjoy reading your reports.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #56
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2
June 16, 2013

After navigating with the 60csx, I knew I needed to try to get the Montana going. I had a feeling the problem with my Montana was that the screen thought I was pushing on it all the time since there was dirt jammed between the edge of the screen and the plastic bezel. I used a wrapper from a Clif bar to get the dirt out of the crack. Success!! I was so happy I would not have to navigate with the 60csx.

Chuck started out the day fixing his bike. He had a bad crash in the silt and had smashed up his radiator fan (among other things). While he was working on that, I headed down to a stream to filter some water.

We tried to get up to a cool spot Wachs had told me about but I fell down a few times on the climb and lost interest.

After that, we headed up the highway to Owyhee for gas and a long wait to eat. I had filled up my MSR Dromedary with fuel the day before in Orovada so I dumped that into my bike then filled it up the rest of the way at the pump. Thanks Scott!

We rode on toward Jarbidge. It was great. Some sweet riding. Chuck was having some issues with vapor locking or something so we had to stop and let his bike cool off.

We rode over the saddle near Hicks Mountain and had to stop to take some pics.

You can see there had been a fire there since our visit last year. Here is a picture of where we just were from the bottom.

We split up near the Bruneau River since the Short Timer Group had heard that I planned to go down the Powerline Grade into Jarbidge. They wuz skeered... So they headed off on the easy route we had done last year while the other 4 of us started some new stuff.

I caught a glimpse of this old car buried in the bank and had to take a picture.

We rode along the river for a while and then climbed up along some spectacular flower covered ridgelines. It was amazing how the flower colors would change as we ascended or descended in elevation. The smell was intense. The mountains were breathtaking! What a day! There was a lot of this.

Self portrait.

At one point we came across a tree down and had to divert around it. There was another section with an unexpected steep hill climb with a few large and really big rocks thrown in for fun.

Eventually we arrived at the start of the Powerline Grade.

We headed down.

It sucked.

No pics from me.

It was very steep and very rocky and very loose. I was so glad to get down. I waited for a while for the other guys to come down so I could get a picture of them riding past this sign.

But they didn’t come. I waited and took some more pictures.

Finally after about 30 minutes, I started hiking up the grade. I did not get too far before Don zipped past me muttering something about riding with the Short Timers for the rest of the ride. Then I came across Bill and Mark who were making their way down. Everyone was tested pretty well going down that hill and tensions were high. I am not going to be bringing any more groups up or down this hill. It is just not worth it. I will have to find a way to cut over from the Ridgeline Route to Deer Mt and then go down into Jarbidge.

After everyone had passed me, they all headed to the Outdoor Inn in Jarbidge for dinner. I headed over to the gas station and filled up. Then I went in for dinner. It was great. The food there is really good.

Some of the guys decided to stay in the motel in Jarbidge. Apparently someone had forgotten a very important piece of gear and had a very cold night the night before.

The rest of us headed south of town and camped in the same spot as we did in 2012.

103 miles today.

Today’s route:

Old 08-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #57
oregonlmd
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 156
YES! This report has got me so jazzed up to ride again. Thinking about this trip is all I need to be motivated to work extra-hard on my physical therapy for my busted shoulder.
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #58
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,023
So it looks like you guys went down the powerline road on Sunday (Fathers Day) and we went down it the day after you on Monday.
Thanks for stirring up all the rocks!

3 years ago a couple of us took that same powerline route up from the Bruneau and took a right at the summit and headed over Deer Mountain and came out to the main road at Bear Creek Summit. That route had some pretty steep climbs with loose pea gravel/sand that I was wondering if I would even make the top on my DR loaded down with camping gear. I didn't want to take my wife up those climbs on her four wheeler so I decided to take the easy route downhill following that powerline.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #59
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
So it looks like you guys went down the powerline road on Sunday (Fathers Day) and we went down it the day after you on Monday.
Thanks for stirring up all the rocks!

3 years ago a couple of us took that same powerline route up from the Bruneau and took a right at the summit and headed over Deer Mountain and came out to the main road at Bear Creek Summit. That route had some pretty steep climbs with loose pea gravel/sand that I was wondering if I would even make the top on my DR loaded down with camping gear. I didn't want to take my wife up those climbs on her four wheeler so I decided to take the easy route downhill following that powerline.
Are you still married? She must have been very happy with you. Not!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #60
tele-steve
ya' mon

Oddometer: 264
dropping into Jarbidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Day 2
June 16, 2013
I will have to find a way to cut over from the Ridgeline Route to Deer Mt and then go down into Jarbidge.

Instead of heading down the Power Line into town, you can head north from the Ridgeline Route your on along the plateau (road F072 on your map) and then drop in down valley. There was a sign that said the road was closed, but we could still get through on the bikes.... just sayin' because it is pretty nice up there.

carry on

tele-steve is offline   Reply With Quote