Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #62
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Mike's on the road as we wait for Day 2.
Jarbidge, or Jarbridge. It depends on which sign you read. The OI had great food, the bar, even showers in the back for $2. Three of the group stayed at the hotel next door. Remaining five riders rode south of town to the NFS camp grounds right on the river. Nice spot

Talking to some of the residents, they had recent rain after a dry year. The freezing level never came down, so the wildflowers were everywhere. I never rode Nevada. After Day 1, I was convinced it looked like an ordinary summer ride - Orange KTM front fender buried in a cloud of dust. Ridge top views changed it all. After Day 2, the incredible valley expanse, rock formations, and creeks feeding canyon growth, were amazing.

Scenes like this powered us through the altitude fatigue, long miles, and daily saddle hours. Orange fender and dust were a little smaller after that. This RR is hardly through the first gate.

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 05:37 AM
tundradirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #63
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
I am still out here.

I posted my version of Day 2 already. Just waiting for the other riders to post up their comments and pictures of the day.

Come on guys!

MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #64
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Patiently waiting...

Nice trip guys. Gotta few riders I think I can get to go next spring.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #65
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I am still out here.

I posted my version of Day 2 already. Just waiting for the other riders to post up their comments and pictures of the day.

Come on guys!

Maybe we can send them to Snowden in Russia.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #66
mamacone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Nice been waiting for this report. I am not a picture taker but sure appreciate a great ride report.
mamacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #67
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer: 79
Keep yer pants on... geez.

Day 2 provided a great mix of scenery and nice leisurely ride into the mining town Jarbidge, NV. Toward the end of the day's ride, four of us (the "short timers") chose to ride a route into Jarbidge that mimicked last year's ride in order to allow Dale, (who didn't ride with us last year), to see the great views during the descent into the canyon. It turned out to not only be a good choice for views, but the route that the other riders took was apparently not very enjoyable. Oh... they'll possibly say otherwise here on this thread... but I saw their faces as they limped in to the local bar in Jarbidge... it was not pretty. Mark was the first one through the door and he looked like someone just chased him around the woodshed with a hatchet for about an hour while throwing dirt on his face. Don had a similar appearance... but possibly a little dirtier. The unflappable Bill walked in looking like he always does... as if nothing out of the ordinary happened. However, he did utter a few disparaging words with respect to the last section of "road" into town. Mike wisely went directly to the fuel pumps and filled up before walking into the Outdoor Inn. By the time he showed his face, he was all smiles. Since Mike is the one who planned the routing of the ride, short of someone losing a limb, the route was going to be the "best ever"... no matter what. Of course Mike is the one guy in this group who thrives on extreme challenges. I think we all enjoy a bit of a challenge here and there... but Mike is on another level. (I mean that in a good way)

We all enjoyed a great meal and shared a few stories. I don't want to name names but one of our group (his initials are Dale ) had forgotten a key piece of camping equipment and so he decided to occupy one of the available rooms that the Outdoor Inn had to offer. Since there were three beds in the room, Chuck and myself decided to utilize the other two. This allowed us the ability to relax at the bar instead of riding down to the river and setting up camp. We actually had a good time... possibly too good of a time as you will find out on Day 3.

A little repair work on Chuck's bike in the morning

Vise grips were very helpful in reshaping Chuck's fan shroud

This was a tough hill climb

Dale

Dan (aka Burt Reynolds) taking a break

Mark

Believe it or not, we didn't get rained on

Just before the descent into Jarbidge

Panoramic shot at the top of the canyon

A little post-ride lubrication

All this and a hot shower... nice!

Only about 100 miles today... easy

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by noon I'm only half done.

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/

BUSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #68
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSdriver View Post

Fantastic pic!

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #69
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Fantastic pic!

Thank you.

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by noon I'm only half done.

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/

BUSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #70
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Nevada is a very cool place to ride a dual sport bike. This trip is my third time doing a week of riding in Nevada over the last 3 summers. Every summer it is incredible. Each winter’s rain and snow bring different conditions to the summer and change the landscape completely.
Master Marine, I did not see if you posted any GPS tracks but would like them. Have you looked at my Nevada Statewide MOtorized Trail System file on GPSXchange.com? Would like any additions. I don't have much for north central or North east. My favorite is along Hwy 50 across central.

Thnks for your service.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #71
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Mark was the first one through the door and he looked like someone just chased him around the woodshed with a hatchet for about an hour while throwing dirt on his face. Don had a similar appearance... but possibly a little dirtier. The unflappable Bill walked in looking like he always does... as if nothing out of the ordinary happened. However, he did utter a few disparaging words with respect to the last section of "road" into town. Mike wisely went directly to the fuel pumps and filled up before walking into the Outdoor Inn. By the time he showed his face, he was all smiles. Since Mike is the one who planned the routing of the ride, short of someone losing a limb, the route was going to be the "best ever"... no matter what.
Great post Scott. Hit the nail on the head.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #72
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
wildBill here playing catchup on this thread.

some pics from day 1 , 2, Mike the owaweewee desert was fun again this year, dont take it out of the route, just wouldn't want to break down out there. We were spread out beyond our radio's range so when guys weren't catching up the uncertainty and concern waiting along time at turns kind of made it worse than it was. It all worked out perfect and we made camp just in time.

what fun would riding be without hills ? and they call this desert...

good place to stop after a long grind

good muddy creak bed ride to cool off the boots

how many 21" tubes to fix this, LOL. Truck was abandoned near a cattle watering station

1st night camp after hard 1st day, it'll be dark soon as every rushes to get set

KLR-a6 "Dora the Explorer", 530 x-cw "KLR-lite"

ugo1st screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 10:16 PM
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #73
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 737
glad I stumbled on your report in one of my most favorite places in the world....you're not alone there's others out there just as crazy...

keep it coming...

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #74
ugo1st
Adventurer

2nd day pics.

chuck got up early and stripped the drz down to straighten fan shroud with big rocks and tire irons and vice grips and 4 letter words. Thing was made out of carbon steel ! Others went to find a fast moving creek to set the water filter up to fill bladders and bottles. Then we were on our way.

A few miles up the grade there was an up and back to a view point radio site lookout. The hill was tougher than expected. We watched from below as riders tried one at a time, after some funny attempts we contiued on route

gas stop and eats in owowei, on the paved (yuk) highway it's usually a harley show. Our dirty bikes striked a lot of conversation. Reminded me of the picture of the cat on the fence above the hog pen, captioned "the hog can only dream of where the cat has been" LOL. Anyway, if your ever there DO NOT order off the grill, get cold food, they are slower than molasses,,, 2 years in a row. Good store place to get water jugs.

old KLR and nice clump of tree's

'58 Plymouth "Cristine" used to shore up river bank

power line road that will eventually drop you the back way into Jarbidge, the last part is a steep rock garden (no pics sorry, you'll just have to try it to see)

ugo1st screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 10:51 PM
Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #75
ugo1st
Adventurer

no filter problems THIS year on the klr, I had blocked off the stock stupid rear box entry and installed the snorkle up under the seat where guys do the L mod. Taped of the rear fender seams where Kawaski saved a penny on plastic. Carried 2 extra filters and changed them just cuz, but never choked for air. For other klr'ers this ride was 6-10k riding and I ran a 145 main, stock needle, and an added 1" hole in the box next to the relocated snorkle that I could tape open or shut. Bike ran great the whole trip with great mpg. Stock gearing and a lot of clutch work LOL. Had a 14t but lazy to put it on. Kenda 270 and a hp4 MX tire on front held up great. I felt rim at 20psi so upped to 24 and left it, no flats in the whole group either !! amazing cuz nevada is made out of rocks with roots !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Definitely Nevada riding style :yup

Bet someone's filter was a little... clogged

Think I been on that road........ no wait.... they all look alike

Awesome guys, your friggin hardcore