User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #76
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,043
Wow...awesome!

Five or six of us heading that way mid September. This is great. Can't wait to see the rest of it!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #77
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Old dirt road mining town of Jarbidge, only a handful of people stay there year round, maybe 20. Cafe and bar with friendly people and some room to rent for those who forget their SLEEPING BAG (starts with D), and sleep off a vodka hangover (ends with E). Card operated fuel pump 24hr when the dialup modem is working. County has some camp spots along river just out of town, close enough to come back for breakfast in the AM.

Museum keeper unlocked the door for us to look around, lot of cool old mining stuff. Roof was made out of cut arsenic tins used to extract gold, just hold your breath when the wind blows.... Building was used for town meeting, weddings, partys, schoolhouse and church on Sunday.

this painting was said to remind the miners of their far away home, guessing Venice or ?

pic of arsenic can roofing and building wiring that came later, as a techtrician by trade was impressed with the old knife blade switches

that's the end of day 2 for me,

KLR-a6 "Dora the Explorer", 530 x-cw "KLR-lite"

ugo1st screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 12:44 PM
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #78
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,995
awesome rr.

lots of great pics and commentaries.

thanks.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #79
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Chuck said "If you've never been to Nevada- everything is Wow!"
The best Google Earth view is from the bike- or downtown Jarbidge.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #80
KnightRider374
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Great ride report! Gonna make it back down there, Nevada's been haunting me in my dreams.
KnightRider374 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #81
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Here are my pictures from Day 2 of our 2013 ride. After arriving after dark, it was a bit of mystery as to where we were actually camping. Turns out...we were camping in a field of flowers:

Before we could embark, however, we had to fix Chuck's bike after the silt bed grate encounter. Before:

During:

The fix consisted of beating on the radiator shroud with blunt instruments:

and then some fine tuning:

Some scenery as we motored throughout the morning on our way to Owyhee:

Ah, yes. The not-so-fast-food in Owyhee. After waiting 90 minutes for our food last year, we swore would only order cold cut sandwiches this year. Well I guess we forgot and ended up ordering burgers and suffered the consequences. The elapsed time from the first burger order and the last delivery was somewhere in the neighborhood of two hours. Ugh. Oh well. Next time we will learn...maybe.

More of Day 2 in a few minutes.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #82
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Leaving Owyhee, it was back into the mountains and the flowers. This is a road:

Bill emerging from a grove and into the flowers:

Using flowers for traction:

Last year, I took a picture of Scott crossing this same pass with his overloaded WR250. This year his bike went on a diet. Last year:

This year:

Its probably hard to see a difference...

Bill riding in more stinkin flowers. I swear this is a legit NF or BLM road:

The posse stops to take in the scenery:

Thunderstorms to the east. I love this picture looking into the clouds as we crest a pass:

And Don riding into the storm:

The crew stops at the pass:

Some shots at the top:

And we press onto into the harsh Nevada landscape:

Scott braves the flower glare without sunglasses:

Scott stops to check out the scene and the looming clouds:

Shots of the canyons on the way to Jarbidge:

As we got closer to Jarbidge, we broke into two groups -- The four long distance riders (below) (Mike, Bill, Don and me) and the short timers (Scott, Dale, Chuck and Dan).

Our route to Jarbidge was to take us high along the ridge line and plunge (violently) directly into town. The ridge ride:

As we got closer to the rim and the decent, the road became a lot less traveled, requiring some reroutes around some fallen trees. We should have listening to our intuition.

The road immediately started going DOWN. I've always seen myself as pretty good at downhills, but this route into Jarbidge is straight down -- along what used to be powerline road before it was washed out years ago. Now it is a vertical boulder field.

With big-bore bikes, big tanks and lots of camping gears, gravity was winning on the way down. I managed to ride down about 3/4 of the way, but was then stopped by Don and Bill. Don had tipped over and needed help getting back going given the severe incline. And Bill was having trouble due to the wimpy nature of the KLR front brake and its...um...weight.

Since there was no way to take my hand off the front brake when stopped I was unable to take any pictures. Here is a topo snapshot of the routethough. Note how close the gradient lines are together toward the bobottom:

This road (if you can call it that) literally dumps you right into the middle of town, so that within five minutes of thinking I was going to die, I was having a cold one in the Jarbidge bar. Whew!

A tired looking crew. Days 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 yet to come!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #83
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele-steve View Post
Instead of heading down the Power Line into town, you can head north from the Ridgeline Route your on along the plateau (road F072 on your map) and then drop in down valley. There was a sign that said the road was closed, but we could still get through on the bikes.... just sayin' because it is pretty nice up there.

carry on
tele-steve

Some of the guys kind of did that. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Loving it...keep it coming!

Can't wait to get back down there!!!

Hodakaguy
Hey Hodakaguy!

Good to see you are following along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Patiently waiting...

Nice trip guys. Gotta few riders I think I can get to go next spring.
Hi browneye,

It is going to take a while to get this ride report wrapped up. Getting everyone to get their comments posted is kind of reminding me of trying to keep them all headed down the right trail!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacone View Post
Nice been waiting for this report. I am not a picture taker but sure appreciate a great ride report.
mamacone,

I sure hope you enjoy reading along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Master Marine, I did not see if you posted any GPS tracks but would like them. Have you looked at my Nevada Statewide MOtorized Trail System file on GPSXchange.com? Would like any additions. I don't have much for north central or North east. My favorite is along Hwy 50 across central.

Thnks for your service.
Countdown,

Thank you for your interest in our tracks. I do not post my tracks from big rides online. I want to retain control of them and encourage people to research the area more before they explore it rather than just download some tracks and follow them like lemmings. That said, I am willing to share the tracks and any knowledge I have with other riders who are researching the area to do a ride. I just ask that they not post them online. These areas can become rather extreme and I think it is better to talk to people about the area and roads before they go out there. I hope you understand.

I am sure that if you or others ar e interested in following along on the exact tracks we rode, you can just buy a Benchmark and follow along in it as you read the descriptions of where we went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
glad I stumbled on your report in one of my most favorite places in the world....you're not alone there's others out there just as crazy...

keep it coming...
dvwalker,

Thanks for following along. There is still much more to come as we get into some areas we had never been to before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn View Post
Wow...awesome!

Five or six of us heading that way mid September. This is great. Can't wait to see the rest of it!
Hey Humunn,

I can't wait to read about your trip! It will be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
awesome rr.

lots of great pics and commentaries.

thanks.
NSFW,

Thanks for the positive comments. It really help us all to keep motivated at writing these reports when we get comments from the readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider374 View Post
Great ride report! Gonna make it back down there, Nevada's been haunting me in my dreams.
KnightRider374,

Do it! The mountain ranges are fantastic!

To my fellow riders,

Great pictures and commentary everyone. I really enjoy reading about how all of you were experiencing the ride. It is surprising to me that I have not read more about the "missing camping gear" but I am sure Chuck will let the cat out of the bag. Now where is Chuck anyway???

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #84
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
Awesome photos Marc.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #85
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
All caught up.

So many great photos in this RR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramsetac View Post
I equate mule's ears with good riding. hardly ever see them except on a nice trail.

yay, MasterMarine - multi-quoting your ass off!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #86
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Day 2

After a good night's sleep I was woke up by a sound like an angry bear with a chainsaw I think it was Dan but he told me it was coming from the area around Mike's tent, Dan said (Trust me I'm a doctor) I don't snore it had to be Mike.

With the help from everyone we did first aid on my arm then worked on the repairs on the fan assembly, that thing was so well built I think it saved the radiator from being smashed more than it was, the only thing I could not repair was the throttle assembly from sticking a little, that would haunt me a few days later. I did not take to many photos on day 2 it hurt too much to get the camera out but I did take some.

We got to Owyhee I ordered the cold cut sandwich but it still took 1 hour, good for 24hr gas and cold water but that's it.

Mike

I did think we might get a little rain but we got lucky so far.

After we split up the sort timers took the 2012 route to show Dale the great views of the canyon road down to Jarbidge and after reviewing the route on the map I wanted to avoid the power line road into town, we tried to climb that same road in 2012 and after day 1 crash I just had a feeling this was the right choice.

It was a relaxing ride, but Dan and I did get schooled by a few cattle dogs that almost had us for lunch.

We got gas first thing when we got into town, and the locals walked up to us and told us they were surprised , the phone lines were down for the last few weeks and they were not sure how we got the pumps to even work as they use the phone lines for approval.

Time for a cold one, order food and wait for the others to show up. They did open up the town hall for us to check out. After the walking dead finally showed up(very happy they survived the road from hell) we all got drinks, food more drinks and the after a few more drinks the cat was finally out of the bag, Dale informed us he forgot his sleeping bag at home so we recommend he get room for the night but the only room they had left sleep 3 so Scott, Dale and I shared the room and had few more drinks at the bar (maybe too many).

Dale made some new friends.

Day 3 on the way......

DUCKSPANKER screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 12:27 AM
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #87
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,778
Hey you flower smashers! Incredible photography and what a route Mike

Broken leg and torqued ankle prevented me from seeing this part of Nevada last fall dang it. You guys hit it perfect - subscribed!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #88
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Subbed.I was just up in Jarbidge 3 weeks ago.I need better maps .I tried taking the 2nd left north of town(next left past the closed rd) and ended up on the closed road back in Jarbidge.I wanted to goto Owyhee.I ended up taking the county road south out of town to rd 746.Noob with a gps
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #89
SirDurable
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Nevada Noob

Well, I guess I'll pipe up and elaborate on my master plan of comic relief on this trip.

I am Dale, and Dale is me....and I've ridden much of what Washington State has to offer, and until this trip, *none* of Nevada.

Since we've only been talking about days 1 & 2, I'll limit my snarky comments to those days only. And I'm going to just link to the other guys' pics, since I don't have mine with me at the moment.

Day 1:
Everything was great, except the amount of miles we had to cover, and that damn silty desert crossing. Man, that was not fun, but hey, it was a new experience for me. :)

Chuck's bike dismount wasn't pretty, and I am very grateful he wasn't hurt more than he was (or his bike). It could have been a real quick end to the Short Timers ride (it would have been a *very* Short Timers trip).

Once we got Chuck's bike working again, we headed into the hills looking for a decent camp spot. Man, it was getting cold...good thing I had my jacket with me. As we started setting up our own tents, I started thinking about where I had packed everything...I needed to unpack a bit to get my gear, and as I started doing so, I felt ill. Only because it hit me then that I didn't actually pack my sleeping bag. :| Bah, who needs a sleeping bag when you can borrow a coat from your brother to cover your legs at night. I'm sure I got a *few* hours sleep - morning couldn't come soon enough. (I would overcome the embarrassment of not bringing my sleeping bag, and borrow an emergency blanket for the other nights).

Day 2:
The sun came up....praise jeebus! I was soooo happy to get warm.

Starting out on day 2, my bike started getting more and more comfortable on the ground. Maybe it was tired.

Here, I had slid sideways with my front tire in the right (wrong) rut and my rear tire in the left rut. After stopping, I lost my footing and laid my bike down gently in the water for a quick rinse. Man I was pissed. :) Sorry for yelling Chuck...hehe.

We had great weather and great views this day. Finishing up the day was the ride into Jarbidge, with spectacular views like this:

It was a great way to finish up a day of riding....and then the drinking started. :| Something happened - that thing where all reason went out the window. Well actually, reason went out the window when I told Chuck that I was done after the three drinks I had, but then proceeded to go back into the bar and resume the punishment.

Oh happy times.

I was violently ill from about 3AM till 9AM. Then, all was good except that I didn't really feel like eating any food. ;) Thanks for not leaving me in Jarbidge, fellas.

It was a rocky start to my trip, but I can take it easy when I'm dead. Cheers!
SirDurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #90
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Great report guys! Nevada was my favorite part of the TAT and I'm ready to get back there. It's shocking how fine the riding is. Just bought a place in AZ so I'm close now. Browneye, when you get your group together, drop me a line....
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote