Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #91
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
Awesome photos Marc.
benwiggin2,

Thanks for your comment. I am sure Mark appreciates it. He goes a bit crazy taking pictures out on the trail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
All caught up.

So many great photos in this RR!

I equate mule's ears with good riding. hardly ever see them except on a nice trail.

yay, MasterMarine - multi-quoting your ass off!
Hi LittleWan,

There are a lot of those flowers in Northern Nevada too. Maybe I should edit that wiki! Thanks for the tip on the ultra multi quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Hey you flower smashers! Incredible photography and what a route Mike
Yo wachs,

Good to see you are following along. Thanks for all the input. You will recognize more of our trip in the coming days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Subbed.I was just up in Jarbidge 3 weeks ago.I need better maps .I tried taking the 2nd left north of town(next left past the closed rd) and ended up on the closed road back in Jarbidge.I wanted to goto Owyhee.I ended up taking the county road south out of town to rd 746.Noob with a gps
Hi oldxr,

There is a lot of exploring to be done up around Jarbidge. Lots of beautiful country up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDurable View Post
Well, I guess I'll pipe up and elaborate on my master plan of comic relief on this trip.

I am Dale, and Dale is me....and I've ridden much of what Washington State has to offer, and until this trip, *none* of Nevada.
Hey SirDurable,

I am glad to see you have decided to post in here with your first post. Now we have everyone giving their comments. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
Great report guys! Nevada was my favorite part of the TAT and I'm ready to get back there. It's shocking how fine the riding is. Just bought a place in AZ so I'm close now. Browneye, when you get your group together, drop me a line....

Hi Blaise W,
Thanks for the positive comments! Lots of good stuff for sure.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #92
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391

Day 3
June 17, 2013

We started out the morning with a trip back into Jarbidge to have breakfast. It was great. Someone did not attend breakfast and was a little slow getting up and at ‘em so we had some time to check out the Jarbidge Community Hall.

The original stage curtain is still there.

The Community Hall was really pretty cool. If you have time, you should check it out.

Once we regrouped and had everyone ready, we headed out of town and back up into the hills toward Charleston. We stopped and looked around from Deer Mt. We stopped a bunch and took lots of pictures along here.

We reached Charleston Lake and then split up with the Short Timers heading back west from here and the remaining four heading south toward Wells.

We said goodbye and wished each other well and then split up.

After riding thru some pretty desolate country on some pretty unused tracks, we came to this Orange Bridge. I was happy to have someplace to lean my bike up so I could get off of it.

Don was having some trouble with his electrical gear so he went over to work on it under a shady tree. I dunked my helmet it the stream and cooled off. Mark discovered his pants had zippered vents that he had forgotten about. He opened them up and enjoyed the “Gift”.

Once Don had fixed his issue, I went back over to the bridge for a fresh helmet dunk. As I climbed back up to the bridge, I heard a bike coming. A group of 5 riders arrived. We chatted for a bit and found out they had 2 other riders in their party who were trying to get a bike fixed somewhere down south. They were on an 8 day loop too going in the opposite direction that we were. They took off. I wondered if we would see them again?

We rode a bunch more fantastic 2 track before getting dumped off onto a fast gravel road.

I zoomed past this crazy scarecrow thing and had to turn around to have a better look.

We stopped at Metropolis to check it out. It was hot!

Mark is hot and tired of taking pictures. Time to go!

We rode into Wells where some guy doing some construction waved us down. He was excited to see a Husky. Apparently he thought they were not built for the last 20 years or something. Anyway, we asked him where to go for lunch and he sent us over to Luther’s. We went in and ordered burgers. While we were waiting, a couple riders walked in. It turned out they were the other 2 from the group we had met earlier. We exchanged information and talked about how our rides were going. They were heading NE and we were heading South.

We headed out of Wells after filling up with gas. Our destination for the night was Angel Lake Campground. It turned out to be a great road up to the campground. We cruised around and selected our favorite 2 campsites. The camp host was quite a character too. He was kind enough to give me a Crystal Lite package so I could drink something besides straight water. What a beautiful spot!

113 miles today.
Today’s route.

MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #93
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,039
I'm enjoying your report! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

It looks like the demon witch has been updated. This is what she looked like in 2011.

She liked Bob.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #94
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Which one's Bob?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #95
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Which one's Bob?
Did you lose your glasses?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #96
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Found em. Bob's on the right.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #97
trailrider383
867-5309

Quote:
Found em. Bob's on the right.
Exactly, Bob is on the demon witch's right side.

trailrider383 screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 04:35 PM
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #98
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,456
All this time I thought I was Bob!

Two years ago I missed my clockwise loop thru Jarbidge, because I missed the Orange bridge. Counter CW wasn't bad. Actually it was beautiful.
I gotta check more to the north and west sometime.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #99
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

For Mike, no kickstand added to the challenge. I read a lot about the new bikes, no comments on the kickstand. Unlike the older bikes- whole threads dedicated to dealer death threats, and bikes tipping over. I bought the PMB as part of the setup. No way the stock stand could support 6.6 gallons fuel, and the coyote bag. PMB warned against excess loading. Bill just leaned the KLR over, gassed it in first while I burst sprayed the chain for the day.

Bill had some repair pics at the orange bridge. A leatherman repair for loose ground got the KTM charging again. Later, some tiny gauge wires for the fan and gps had to be reconnected. Mike talked to the group riders while Bill helped w/repair at the orange bridge. After that it was fuel, fluid checks and chain lube.

Metropolis again

'She Demon' shows what a charmed ride we had. The weather cooperated 100%.

Riding for 8 days in Nevada makes day riding a bore.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #100
tele-steve
ya' mon

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Riding for 8 days in Nevada makes day riding a bore.

Couldn't agree more!
tele-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #101
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post

Holy smokes!!
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #102
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,482

Waiting for more. Headed out to this part of Nevada at the end of the month. It will be our third time out to the best secret state too. Will be interesting to see the difference in the seasons at the same locations.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #103
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Don. Pic of your loose ground rect.reg repair stop which took a fuse out. Quick find and repair, no problem.

Mike spent the time dunking his helmet in the river

while I check to see if the bridge might be overloaded by the KLR

KLR-a6 "Dora the Explorer", 530 x-cw "KLR-lite"
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #104
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
after poking around the ruins of a failed city's dream

we rode into town where we were pointed to the best burger in town at a local pub, burger and service was good. They also had a water faucet on the patio to fill our bladders and bottles. Fun things to look at on the wall, and target practice in the washroom.

probably get audited for posting this....

Met other dusty riders going the opposite direction as us and was told about a awsome place to camp with view, Angle Lake, sportbikers dream road climbing up there too !

Lake in the foreground was like a mirror to the snow crested bowl behind it.

that's all for that day

KLR-a6 "Dora the Explorer", 530 x-cw "KLR-lite"

ugo1st screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 06:12 PM
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #105
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a good shot of Bill at Angel Lake. The NFS campground is at 8,000 ft and we had a 72 degree day. Snow is inside the crater bowl, but we slept warm. Great camping spot.

Pocket cam self timer on a mini-clamp. Mark and Mike took good pictures. I had the Harley look, ready to eat and crash.

Snow scenery above the bikes.

By this time in the trip, everyday was something new. Get up, grab a bite, head out and look for a meal down the road. The bikes were incredible. Just fire it up and go. Ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? It was nothing like that, except they ran great. Mike will chime in soon. This was the man trip, some of our group still had family time scheduled. Vacation time has limits, we ran hard to stay within the time slot. More time would have been great, but we knew the program months in advance.

This was all part of desert riding. Who woulda thunk?

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 08:08 PM
tundradirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote