User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Motorcycle lift...Handy vs. Atlas

I am seriously considering buying a motorcycle lift table and want to buy a good quality table. I have narrowed it down to an Atlas table (Greg Smith Equipment...http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Cycle-Lift or a Handy Standard table (Model 10740...http://www.handyindustries.com/produ...-1000-air-lift) from a local retail outlet that sells and services heavy duty landscaping equipment.

Both tables are rated at 1000 pounds and both are air operated.

The Atlas table (made in China) sells for $749 and includes the front wheel vise.

The Handy table (made in US) sells for ($950 plus $150 for the front wheel vise. (So, about +$350 for the Handy)

Other considerations: Handy table has an optional dolly for moving the table around my somewhat crowded shop (Atlas does not offer this). Handy table is shorter drive to pick up (60 miles vs. 140 miles). I'd expect the resale value on the Handy to be higher. Warranty on Atlas is One year-Parts only...Handy is "limited lifetime". If I needed service, the retailer selling Handy would be my choice.

Any one have any experience with either of these tables? Is the Handy table worth the premium?

bobframe screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 04:53 AM
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,193
A few years ago I picked up a used standard Handy lift. The BEST money I have ever spent on a tool for working on the bikes. It even makes for an adjustable height work bench. It's probably just me but I'd buy American if I can.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Used...

I'd absolutely pounce on a used lift...my impatience is my worst enemy.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
I have used both side by side. Although the Handy was much older than the atlas. They both worked fine. I like the the textured surface on the atlas. The handy is smooth and can be a little slick, although easier to clean.

I think you be happy either way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
bobframe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Side extensions

A number of folks have mentioned the "need" for the 8"-12" side extensions. While I understand why these are necessary for a lawnmower/four wheeler...their use on a motorcycle escapes me. Probably because I've never used a lift table before.

So, please help me understand why I need them on a table to be used only for a bike.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
hogasm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
A number of folks have mentioned the "need" for the 8"-12" side extensions. While I understand why these are necessary for a lawnmower/four wheeler...their use on a motorcycle escapes me. Probably because I've never used a lift table before.

So, please help me understand why I need them on a table to be used only for a bike.

Thanks.
Because there will be a day when you will need the extensions. I purchased a new Handy lift without the extensions and kick myself in the ass everytime I need to work on the lawnmower or the golf cart
Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Sevv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Sometimes, they're nice to put a small lift under the bike to take the engine out, lay out parts on, place tools on... sometimes a piece is too awkward to install alone and you can balance it. Sometimes the lift is 2 feet off the ground, and you just need to get above it for 10 seconds, stand on extension, or drop the lift then raise it again?

No matter which one you look for I'd check to see if they have the removable section at the back under the rear wheel. Makes it stupid easy to pull a tire for a tire change.
Sevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
pecos
BAM!!

Oddometer: 514
my take....

I have a direct lift. Looks the same as the atlas. http://www.directlift.com/MotorcycleATV-Lifts-C15.aspx

I also have a handy lift. 1500 I think the model is. I think its the higher end model of their line.

Here is my take...

I love the direct lift. I like the diamond plate or what ever its called. I think it helps with bolts/hardware from rolling off. The foot piece that raises it is extremely quiet. That is a huge plus. I have been beating this thing up and no issues. Paint is in great shape. No dents. I think I am on 6 years or so.

The handy...well I would not buy one again. This one was basically new when I got. Now...after a year of use its worn. Metal is thinner. Dents are in it. Paint stratches off easily. The foot piece is extremely loud. 15 years ago when my old man bought his handy brand new...his foot piece was extremely loud too. Its a poor design. When I let the air out of mine, I plug my ears with my fingers. Its dangerous to your ears. Anyone want to buy it?

Something else to note...handy's foot piece is either 100% on or 100% off to allow air in. Direct is more like a gas pedal. A spring rocker. You can throttle up or down what want to do. I may not be describing it correctly but for me I just don't like how handy's foot piece operates.

I have been thinking about buying a direct lift foot piece and installing it on the handy.

The handy does raise higher and is broader...I like that. Handy does have the rear wheel cut out. I like that too for the old bikes. Also, handy has a better stance than direct/atlas. Meaning...Look at the legs of the atlas....you will trip...nail your toes on that round bar 100 times before you figure how to walk around it. That's just a learning curve. Handy has no legs spanning the floor.

Both lifts have option for the wing extension. Those are used for ATVs and such. You don't need them unless you have an application like that.

Just because Handy is made in america, does not mean its quality.

I use the handy for my long term restorations b/c I do not like operating the table. Its stays static in workbench fashion. And my direct for daily/quick servicing of bikes.

I just looked closer at the atlas and I love the way the back end comes off. Wish my direct has that. Handy has the drop panel but I like the idea of the whole backend being able to be removed.

pecos screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 11:22 AM
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
DrDaytona
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I just purchased the Atlas lift from Greg Smith Equipment. I looked HARD at the Handy lift and as much as I wanted to buy American and highest quality, the price difference was too much for me to justify in a home shop.

I was looking at shipping costs plus the price of the lift itself and the extra $700+ just didn't make sense. I could pickup the Atlas from Greg Smith in Delaware, about an hour from home and no sales tax.

I had issues with my first lift, the locking bar didn't engage properly and the lift action was really choppy. I emailed them and received a phone call from an actual human. They gave me no hassle whatsoever and simply replaced the lift. I'd give Greg Smith an A on the customer service front.

As to the lift itself, my second unit works flawlessly. I really love it. The rear section does drop out for easy tire changes and the included vise works as well as a vise can. I'm probably going to use my Baxley chock in place of it just for one person convenience. I likely won't add the side extensions but they are an option down the road if my mind changes.
DrDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
DrDaytona
Adventurer

Also, if you buy the Atlas XLT, it comes with the wheeled dolly, though I cannot find a link to buy it separately, I have to imagine it's available.

I can manage mine well enough without it though it might be a nice add on.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Heres an old thread with lots of info

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532103

I have the bendpak RML-1500XL. Have had it a few years with lots of weekend use. Comes with side extensions, goes up higher than most, and rolls easily.

http://www.bendpak.com/shop-equipmen...ml-1500xl.aspx

">

"
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Falconfixer
It is what it is....

Oddometer: 388
I've got a Handy

I scored a used Handy lift 3 years ago for $420 (guy's a pothead, go figure) from a guy on Craigslist, some of the best money I ever spent. It came with the side extensions, which are cool for big projects, as you have a bigger flat surface to lay parts and tools on, which eventually turns into a big mess and causes frustration for us aircraft mechanics with OCD! :-) They are nice to have, but you Can add them later. They usually get in the way when you're removing or installing an engine anyway. Whichever one you pick though, you will be spoiled for life from here on out, as far as bike Maintenance goes. I do wish mine had the dropout tail section for quick rear tire changes, but I can live with what I got. But I'll agree with what's been posted already, the foot pedal air control valve is loud as hell.

Falconfixer screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 09:56 PM
Falconfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
Falconfixer
It is what it is....

Oddometer: 388
Don't forget to get the small bike jack for $99 in the related products column. It's way more beneficial than the side extensions.
Falconfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
DrDaytona
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconfixer71 View Post
Don't forget to get the small bike jack for $99 in the related products column. It's way more beneficial than the side extensions.
+100 on that

Crap cell phone pic but my lift and jack in action, well worth the 99 bucks.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,366
I know no one asked, but after looking at the Handy and Atlas, I still prefer my HF. It has lips on each side to keep stuff on the table, diamond plate, and I added a HF chock that works great, you can get side extensions for it, and it has pretty solid metal and powder coat.

I got mine when air power was available, but I never use it. I have used it extensively for 7 years now, and never had a single issue with it.

Just some thoughts.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote