User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Pilgrim21784 OP
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 84
Dealers Dumping New '12 Silverwings!!!

To my somewhat sad surprise, Baltimore area Honda dealers are pricing new '12 SWs at $5,999 (plus the usual setup/prep & delivery costs). It makes me sad because I bought mine earlier last year for $8K and that was a good deal at the time.

A new Forza w/ABS will cost more than a SW, go figure!

Oh well, anyone in the market for the SW can make out like a bandit. I plan on keeping mine until it dies so can't cry too much. It surely does reaffirm that buying used is a generally a better deal but the tab on a new '12 is hard to argue with for those who are interested.

The flush out pricing might be an indicator that the SW is coming to the end of its run and the Integra might be next up in the US. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Pilgrim21784 screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 04:23 PM
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
To my somewhat sad surprise, Baltimore area Honda dealers are pricing new '12 SWs at $5,999 (plus the usual setup/prep costs). It makes me sad because I bought mine earlier last year for $8K and that was a good deal at the time.

A new Forza w/ABS will cost more than a SW, go figure!

Oh well, anyone in the market for the SW can make out like a bandit. I plan on keeping mine until it dies so can't cry too much. It surely does reaffirm that buying used is a generally a better deal but the tab on a new '12 is hard to argue with for those who are interested.

The flush out pricing might be an indicator that the SW is coming to the end of its run and the Integra might be next up in the US. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
That is pretty amazing price for a Silverwing if you think about it.

I was at a dealer near me who had (has) a few and he told me they are blowing them out at the same price. If I did not already have a Silverwing I would probably be on it. Also who knows how the fees are? Sometimes you get lucky though especially if the discounting is provided by Honda direct.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
There are only 2 Honda dealers around here I would consider buying from, and one doesn't have any. The other has them for $6999. Thats about almost $2300 under MSRP. Unfortunately most of that gets eaten up by fees. It's still a good deal, OTD for under MSRP. Unfortunately the timing isn't right for me to spend $9000 on impulse. Also it does look like the reason is that Honda is discontinuing the Silverwing, as there was no 2013 model. I thought the Silverwing was the best of the Japanese maxis, bigger and faster than the Majesty or Burg 400, but lighter than the Burg 650, and without the quirky transmission. But I guess it wasn't selling well, as they still have 2012 models leftover. And that could well mean that other maxi scooters won't be selling well either.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 621
around here, the burg's been eating the s-wing's lunch, sales-wise. the 650 model actually gets a lot of positive chatter on the corporate bike alias, and a lot of older riders have picked it up as a second ride. i also see at LEAST one every time i do a ferry crossing.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Swings are becoming the new Helix. Just because they are long in the tooth, doesn't mean they no longer function well. The drop in prices for new and used will bring in a whole new fan base of owners who don't have to own the newest widget. It does look like Honda is moving on to a more competitive updated model. I'm not sure the Silverwing will ever reach cult status like the Helix or Ruckus, but it's possible.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I sortof guessed the Swing was coming to an end as a lot of people that wanted an automatic for some light touring now have other options from Honda. The DCT bikes are going to attract a lot of riders that would have otherwise considered a larger Maxi. I'm guessing they could steal even more scooter riders with DCT CBR250 and am surprised they haven't at least introduced a concept of one yet.

I know the Hondamatics in the late 70s/early 80s weren't a success, but automatics weren't even that old in cars at that point. Considering a huge portion of the driving public has never even tried a stick shift, it's probably past time for automatic bikes to start taking a bigger share of the market, and for a lot of the public scooters have a very negative image.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I get the CTX with a DCT as a possible alternative, as they have comfortable riding positions. I can't see an automatic CBR, because the type of person who would have a hard time with the shifter and clutch due to medical reasons would also have a really hard time with the sportbike riding position.

I rode my XT225 to work this morning, managed to get on it ok, but when I got here, I had to have someone hold the bike so I could get off, because I was afraid of dropping it. Seat is about 1 1/2" higher than a stock XT. But that is becoming an issue for me as my arthritis gets worse, and my knees are starting to fall apart. I like step through scooters that I don't have any problem getting on and off of.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Ok, maybe not a CBR, but a fuel injected automatic 250cc bike would make a nice bike for a beginner or commuter.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #9
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
Ok, maybe not a CBR, but a fuel injected automatic 250cc bike would make a nice bike for a beginner or commuter.
ummm that's where scooters come into play... traditional size and a few 250cc maxis. At that cc rating... few manufacturers are likely to put auto onto 250cc motorcycles since an auto does not float everyone's boat, and that 'everone' is the majority.
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I get the CTX with a DCT as a possible alternative, as they have comfortable riding positions. I can't see an automatic CBR, because the type of person who would have a hard time with the shifter and clutch due to medical reasons would also have a really hard time with the sportbike riding position.

I rode my XT225 to work this morning, managed to get on it ok, but when I got here, I had to have someone hold the bike so I could get off, because I was afraid of dropping it. Seat is about 1 1/2" higher than a stock XT. But that is becoming an issue for me as my arthritis gets worse, and my knees are starting to fall apart. I like step through scooters that I don't have any problem getting on and off of.
Good point.
I moved to scooters from a HD after a spinal cord injury. The feet are worthless for things like shifting and braking. I can stand and hold up a bike but manipulation of the feet is gone.

The big thing is swinging a leg over a bike. Adding a auto trans to a motorcycle doesn't fix that problem. As age catches up with many riders mounting a bike becomes a problem.

I never understood why a 400cc scooter had to be a behemoth. They need to put all the maxis on a diet. Then the powers that be need to reconsider the "hump". Some of the new scoots require one to swing a leg pretty high over it. Again not user friendly.

Ok I'm ranting. This is just my .02 but trying to make scooters sexy by blurring the line between scoot and MC won't work. Those that want sexy will buy a cycle over a scooter every time.

A scooter is a purpose machine. Form over function hasn't cut it in the past and won't in the future. The young ones who want to go fast or look cool are not the ones who will buying scoots. That market can be romanced but that's not a good target.

The target should be the 13,000 people who reach retirement age every day. Since I started riding a scooter 3 old riding buddies who hung it up for physical reason have bought scooters. More will follow.

Sorry to rant. Now ill go to a dealer and see if there's a 2012 Wing that needs a home.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
The big thing is swinging a leg over a bike. Adding a auto trans to a motorcycle doesn't fix that problem. As age catches up with many riders mounting a bike becomes a problem.

Snip

I never understood why a 400cc scooter had to be a behemoth. They need to put all the maxis on a diet.

Snip

A scooter is a purpose machine. Form over function hasn't cut it in the past and won't in the future.

Snip

ONE target should be the 13,000 people who reach retirement age every day
AMAC
+1 with one change.

JerseyBiker screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 11:39 AM
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
+1 with one change.
Very good call my friend.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
Good point.
I moved to scooters from a HD after a spinal cord injury. The feet are worthless for things like shifting and braking. I can stand and hold up a bike but manipulation of the feet is gone.

I never understood why a 400cc scooter had to be a behemoth. They need to put all the maxis on a diet. Then the powers that be need to reconsider the "hump". Some of the new scoots require one to swing a leg pretty high over it. Again not user friendly.

Ok I'm ranting. This is just my .02 but trying to make scooters sexy by blurring the line between scoot and MC won't work. Those that want sexy will buy a cycle over a scooter every time.

A scooter is a purpose machine. Form over function hasn't cut it in the past and won't in the future. The young ones who want to go fast or look cool are not the ones who will buying scoots. That market can be romanced but that's not a good target.

The target should be the 13,000 people who reach retirement age every day. Since I started riding a scooter 3 old riding buddies who hung it up for physical reason have bought scooters. More will follow.

Sorry to rant. Now ill go to a dealer and see if there's a 2012 Wing that needs a home.

Be Big,
AMAC
Most of the big maxi scoots are behomeths because that's what people buy. If you want a reasonably big scooter with a flat floor, relatively light weight, and no hump, get a Kymco GT300i. Given how "well" that is selling, it's likely we'll be seeing more behomeths, hump and all.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Most of the big maxi scoots are behomeths because that's what people buy. If you want a reasonably big scooter with a flat floor, relatively light weight, and no hump, get a Kymco GT300i. Given how "well" that is selling, it's likely we'll be seeing more behomeths, hump and all.
It may be what people buy but there aren't many of them buying, here anyway.

I'm with you on the GT300i great scoot. The problem with that scooter is a 32.5" seat height. I know its a product on 16" wheels but I'm doing a balancing act with my S200.

At the moment the SYM RV200 is what I'm close to buying. I would prefer a few more cc's but it is what it is.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I am also getting to the point where I am having issues getting on any motorcycle but a cruiser with a low seat height. Cruisers have always been mt preferred type of bike, all the way back to 1980 when I bought my first new bike, a 1980 Suzuki GS450L. It could be ridden across several state lines in comfort. I can still ride my 750 cruiser in relative comfort, especially out on the highway with minimum shifting. But it looks like I'm going to have to give up the XT225, I can barely get on and off of it, didn't have that problem a year ago.

I have several small scooters, but I want a freeway capable scooter bad. But I don't want something the size of the Queen Mary. I am wary about buying something like a GTi300, because with it's CVT transmission, I don't know how it will do on the freeway and in the mountains. I had a 250 Rebel, which was very easy to get on, and it had a top speed of near 80 mph, and no problems climbing mountains. But a 250 scooter is not going to have that kind of power, due to the CVT. Someone needs to figure out how to put a larger cc engine in a smaller scooter, or come up with a more efficient drive system. Not only does a CVT have a very narrow gear range, but it eats up a lot of power compared to a manual transmission, or a real hydraulic automatic. I don't know exactly how Honda's DCT transmission works, but that might be an option for larger highway capable scooters. It would have been interesting to see in on the Silverwing. It can't be that expensive, considering the price of the CTX and NC700s with it.