User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 03:35 AM   #16
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
I hear you Jerry.

I took a test ride on a Can-am and the semi auto trans on it worked great. Of course that's a large displacement ride.

That said, and I'm speaking from my own gimpy body, how about a shift button on the left grip. Now the feet don't need to function well.

But just as I thought it was cool not to have to shift with the feet I see ill have to mash down on the brake. Close no cigar.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,849
I used to have a 2007 Honda Recon 250 quad (TE250ES) with a shift button and no clutch. It was NOT a CVT, it had either 5 or 6 gears, and even had a digital gear readout to tell you what gear you were in. You pushed on the top of the button to upshift, and on the bottom to downshift. I wound up selling it shortly after I sold the 8 mpg truck I was using to haul it around in.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Based on the comments here regarding "freeway capable but not huge" I wonder if that is part of the reason the Silverwings have apparently lost their audience?

I'm thinking that with all the great 300cc models out there (Kymco, Piaggio, Burg 400)....that there are good alternatives that will suit the purpose without having to go with the maxi. I realize the Burgman 400 is still big, but it IS lower cc....Or has the new bigger competition like the new Beemers hurt it?

I can understand it, as with age my R1200gs has become a painful handful, and I would definitely like to scale back but have something more road worthy than just my P200, although I still think my sweetspot is going to be with the SYM HD200....

Maybe a lot of us are downsizing everything with age...

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,213
I think they have been over priced forever.
The new Honda line up has some pretty fair pricing on some well put together bikes.

$7,000 bikes vs $10,500 and up scooters.

I have owned a silverwing, good bike, just wasn't a full time keeper for me.

The most fun bike or scooter for 80% of my riding today only has to be highway (interstate) capable and light.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,712
I think this price is more in line with reality.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,849
Yes the Silverwing was overpriced, as are all the Japanese maxis. But I doubt that had much to do with it unless BMW goes down the drain too. BMWs are seriously overpriced, and not as reliable as the Japanese scooters. 400cc is plenty for the highway, I have put at least 100,000 highway miles on 400-450 sized motorcycles (solo) and they did just fine. Now if someone can just manage to put a 400cc engine in a scooter that is not much longer than an early '80s 400cc motorcycle, they would have exactly what I want. The GTi300 is very tempting, 100cc more and I would probably bite the bullet and buy it. A really low seat is not that important to me. But I need a stepthrough with an automatic transmission than can cruise at a reasonable speed on the freeway. It also needs to be a true stepthrough, with a flat floor. Having a high tunnel across the middle defeats the purpose of a stepthrough.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #22
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Why not just buy a BV 350? It ticks all the boxes you keep harping about, and it's available now.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #23
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Why not just buy a BV 350? It ticks all the boxes you keep harping about, and it's available now.
Yepper as far as "traditional" scoots that's a good choice. I have a little dealer issue in my area but the "Bev" is a fine scooter.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #24
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
I'm moving to Oregon so I'm down sizing and sold my 07 Silver Wing

After some thought and 40,000 miles on my Silver Wing I have sold it. What a fine ride for the last 5 years. If they are seriously dropping the price without gimmicks I would buy another one. I did look at the new BMW 650 cc they are $10k-11k.
After closing and selling our home in Oregon we will move to NC.
I still have my CT 90 but it does not address my need for speed.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
A dealer in the area has recently tagged the 2012 Silverwing's at $5,900. Interestingly the dealer nearest to me witch is owns the other dealership has a 2012 Silverwing marked at $6,999. They did tell me that they could match and its likely that they will be marking the one they had for the same price they just have not got around to it. No idea on the fee's as I did not have time to find out.

If you could get it for $7K or less out the door that is just a screaming deal. The Silverwing really is a wonderful scooter and its got the power to get any job done.

Its only real fault is its economy but the newer ones with an O2 sensor get about 10 MPG better then the older ones.

If I did not already have a Silverwing I got a deal on I would be all over this.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #26
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 150
I agree that price has hurt the Silver Wing. I really like mine but wish I had not paid the price for a "new" one. Especially now that they are closing them out. It is an awesome bike and my only trepidation was its weight (550 lbs or so). But on the road the weight is not noticeable and that weight makes for a stable and smooth ride on the super slab...

I tried the BMW but the height is a concern, I had trouble "flat-footing" it and I am nearly 6'0" with a 32 inch inseam. Plus the price...

Mine was purchased to replace my 2009 KLR as it just was too high and top heavy for this 60 year old guy! And I was riding more on the street so the SWing is a much more comfortable choice for me.

The Silver Wing was purchased for around town errands (lots of storage) and solo touring. For that is is superb. For two-up touring a different steed would be in order. I have taken 2 1000+ mile trips on my Wing and have another scheduled in a couple of weeks.

If I was in the market; I would certainly look at the $5900.00 Silver Wings; however, my suspicion is that the "fees" will eat up a bunch of that savings. So might not end up much better than the deal I negotiated last year.
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
The Silverwing is the Timex watch in the mega scooter world , it takes a licking and keeps on ticking . The 650 burg has a habit of self destructing some where between 25 and 50K on the odometer , depending on your luck ? I've heard of Silverwings lasting 2 and 300K miles , you won't get that out of any other mega scoot . Also the Silverwing is the easiest to work on , much simpler set up . All that said NOTHING rides or is as comfortable as a 650 burg . On another note , nothing is as fun to drive as the Tmax . So what do you do ? Get one of each of course

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote