Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Chay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Question Has anyone had any luck painting plastics?

Well, recently i got it into my head that i should paint my helmet to match my 1100gs. I found that Krylon makes a paint called bauhaus gold, it matches the BMW's mandarin orange pretty well.

Here are the steps i took while painting.
  1. Remove parts and tape it off.
  2. Sanded with fine sandpaper to get rid of gloss.
  3. washed with soap and rinsed and dried well.
  4. Many light even coats of paint with 25 minutes drying time between coats.
  5. A whole can of krylon clear coat.
  6. Reasemble.

Its been at least two weeks now, and the helmet has sat on the bike in the sun for at least a couple of hours, but the surface is still tacky and very easy to scratch off. I assume a lot of it, was attributed to how freakin humid it has been here in ks. Maybe i should have allowed greater time between coats. Have you ever had success painting plastics? If so, what process did you use? (ps. Sorry if this is totally in the wrong section, I had no clue where to put this.)
Chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 506
Not me...

I tried it before on a plastic gas tank, not with rattle can, but checking with the folks at an auto paint store. They sold me some stuff that was supposed to be flexy and bond better to plastic that I mixed in with the paint. Still scratched over time and showed underlying color. There's probably folks here who know the secret, pretty sure it's not as simple as buying some Krylon if you want it to be long lasting. Good luck, and if you end up with some expertise, share it.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Chay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
I tried it before on a plastic gas tank, not with rattle can, but checking with the folks at an auto paint store. They sold me some stuff that was supposed to be flexy and bond better to plastic that I mixed in with the paint. Still scratched over time and showed underlying color. There's probably folks here who know the secret, pretty sure it's not as simple as buying some Krylon if you want it to be long lasting. Good luck, and if you end up with some expertise, share it.

roy
It doesn't need to be incredibly high quality, or all that durable, in the end this helmet will be my off road helmet, and will only serve me until i can afford the speed and strength dual sport helmet, it matches the gs beautifully.
Chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,101
Paint is very tough, and the conditions should be ideal for better than mediocre results. The time between coats should be much longer, but I don't think that it would matter so much as to feel tacky weeks later, unless you're mixing different types of paint. Some types match, others do not. For example, You can't apply lacquer clearcoat on enamel paint, but you can use enamel on top of lacquer. I think it has to do with fumes and how fast it dries. I'm not sure about polyurethane.

2K urethane clearcoat works well over enamel, which is what I'd recommend. I'd use an enamel primer as well.

I've used Eastwood's clearcoat with great success: http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2...oss-clear.html

Two part means it won't chip as easily or erode with gas/oil. 2k spray bomb isn't very cheap, but it's certainly worth it.

EDIT: good thread here over on a ZX forum: http://www.zxforums.com/forums/gener...spray-can.html
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 244
Did the color can state you needed to clear coat?
I have found if you clear coat a paint that does not require you will get problems usually later when you clean it the clear coats craks and falls off leaving a mess.

I use my air compressor and two stage paint in my garage with great success. Cheap gravity feed gun from Harbor freight.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 124
Krylon Fusion is made for plastics. Wipe down with rubbing alcohol and paint. Changed the grey on my Versys to black 5yrs ago and still going strong. Even where my boots contact it.

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
adhesion promoter.... several good brands out there, I have had good success with House of Kolor & Bulldog. krylon not drying.... don't know about that. bad paint
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
I didn't see where or if you said what kind of helmet you have, but if you are focusing on painting "plastic" then may I assume it is a polycarbonate or other like-type material and not fibreglass/carbonfibre etc.?

Are you suuuuure this helmet is alright to be coated without reacting badly to the chemicals in the paint?

I've seen a fair amount of helmets painted by friends and others, split and/or shatter like eggshells when they have been painted and they weren't the type of material to take kindly to chemicals!

I painted an LED strip with Krylon Fusion black a few years ago, and it was the same as you state- it never dried, but remained soft and very sticky, it did not ever "dry". After a couple weeks sitting to see if it would, I gave up and wiped it off, but it had disolved the plastic and turned it all melty and weird.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,638
Personally, I would have used a plastic primer.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 17,918
Plastidip spray??
Old 08-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
the1mavin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
adhesion promoter.... several good brands out there, I have had good success with House of Kolor & Bulldog. krylon not drying.... don't know about that. bad paint
Adhesion promoter is the key, I think I found some that allowed the paint to remain flexible as well, so if you twist a plastic part it doesn't just crack off. I've done a ton of classic car interior parts that weren't available in the color I wanted, so custom mixed rattle cans and adhesion promoter did the trick. It stood up for years on kick panels, armrests and other small hard and soft plastic parts in the Vegas heat with no garage.
the1mavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
CoCamper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Both Krylon, and Rustoleum suck in the grand scheme of spray paint. For rattle cans, look for Ironlak or any Montana brand spray paint. Then use an adhesion promoter as others have said.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #13
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I didn't see where or if you said what kind of helmet you have, but if you are focusing on painting "plastic" then may I assume it is a polycarbonate or other like-type material and not fibreglass/carbonfibre etc.?

Are you suuuuure this helmet is alright to be coated without reacting badly to the chemicals in the paint?

I've seen a fair amount of helmets painted by friends and others, split and/or shatter like eggshells when they have been painted and they weren't the type of material to take kindly to chemicals!

I painted an LED strip with Krylon Fusion black a few years ago, and it was the same as you state- it never dried, but remained soft and very sticky, it did not ever "dry". After a couple weeks sitting to see if it would, I gave up and wiped it off, but it had disolved the plastic and turned it all melty and weird.

Seen that too.................never a good idea to paint plastic helmets. Your only sensible option here is to bin the helmet and buy a new one, as the paint has reacted with the plastic, and has effectively destroyed the helmet shell.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #14
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Ive just painted my Arai Xd3 with Plastic dip , very happy with the results .
It was White .
Check out Youtube clips re Plastic Dip helmet painting

Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 716
Not sure whether all this advice does much good AFTER you painted your helmet, but anyways:
I had good success matching my plastic system cases to the mandarin paint on my bike. I used paint, prep solvent, adhesion promoter, clear coat from automotivetouchup.com , as described in this thread. Should have also used primer.

This picture shows the match:

I don't know what you can do to harden the paint on your helmet. Maybe remove all the padding, visor, strap, and cautiously bake it? If you decide to go that route, it might be good to wait for a moment when the main caretaker of the oven is distracted for a few hours.
Or try to wipe it off with solvent, but which? The prep solvent I got seemed pretty potent, and actually attacked the case surface a little bit. But the helmet is probably a different material.

Either of these methods might leave the helmet less protective. So it probably wouldn't hurt to at least mentally prepare for helmet shopping...
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote