ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Bikepin OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
990 stalling under hard acceleration

2008 990 adv. 1300 miles. relocated side stand with KTM side stand kill switch bypass. 500 miles since bypass installed no issues.

yesterday was out enjoying the day and was slabbing it home after a 150 mile ride. throttled hard to pass some trucks and the bike stalled...6th gear, 75 mph. got it to the side of the road, key off, key back on, started no problem.

this morning was riding to work in city traffic, throttled hard from second ready to shift to third and it stalled. started right up.

air temp both time in the 60s, only 4 or 5 bars on bike temp. smooth pavement so no additional vibration.

I really don't want to take apart the bike to make sure the bypass is still wired in but that's probably what I'll have to do.

any other thoughts?

thanks in advance
Bikepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Whec716
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Sounds to me like it isn't getting enough fuel when you twist the throttle so it is stalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikepin View Post
2008 990 adv. 1300 miles. relocated side stand with KTM side stand kill switch bypass. 500 miles since bypass installed no issues.

yesterday was out enjoying the day and was slabbing it home after a 150 mile ride. throttled hard to pass some trucks and the bike stalled...6th gear, 75 mph. got it to the side of the road, key off, key back on, started no problem.

this morning was riding to work in city traffic, throttled hard from second ready to shift to third and it stalled. started right up.

air temp both time in the 60s, only 4 or 5 bars on bike temp. smooth pavement so no additional vibration.

I really don't want to take apart the bike to make sure the bypass is still wired in but that's probably what I'll have to do.

any other thoughts?

thanks in advance
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
I would be giving the fuel pump filters a good clean in a jar of gas.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
I would have thought fuel filters or pump also. At 1300 miles, probably not. Re checking the side stand bypass would be a good start. If you just taped them together they will come apart eventually.

FWIW
Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
It is the fuel filters. The early 07-08 model filters would clog easy and fall apart. I suspect they have a time related failure, not miles. The newer updated filters are much better. Not cheap though. There is an inmate selling a set from a new source. Geti? Get the two o-rings to seal the tank also.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,615
+2 on the fuel filters diagnosis.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Could be I guess. Just changed the fllters and pump in my 07 with 32k miles on it. Filters were plenty dirty but not falling apart. Bike was still running fine.

After an Alaska trip, I have put 5k miles on the GEFR filters and pump with no problems.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Bikepin OP
n00b

So I was thinking about it some more, it wasn't like running out of gas...sputtering until you turn the peacock to reserve, just a straight shut off.

After work I took my time starting the bike, immediately noticed the initial fuel pump wrrrrrrr wasn't there. Checked the fuses, all good. Turned it on/off several times and nothing. Started right up though. Drove home peacefully keeping the revs lower as that is what seemed to trigger the issue. Got home no problems, turned it on/off a few more times and still no wrrrrrr.

Thanks to all the replies, seems we have a winner. It'll have to wait until this weekend when I have time.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Bikepin OP
n00b

fuel pump in left tank...right?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikepin View Post
fuel pump in left tank...right?
Yes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
It is the fuel filters. The early 07-08 model filters would clog easy and fall apart. I suspect they have a time related failure, not miles. The newer updated filters are much better. Not cheap though. There is an inmate selling a set from a new source. Geti? Get the two o-rings to seal the tank also.
Gefr. Sends bits from Greece pretty fast and very good pricing. Check advert in vendors or PM.

He also upplies o ring for the Assembly going last into tank. I very lightly lubed that one and the one that came out had been pinched. Easy back in and check carefully!

Is this the fuel pump if it just shuts down all the way? Would have thought it would splutter and carry on. Those that have been through it will know for sure.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
990west
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
sounds very similiar to mine when it failed at ~1200 miles. The filters from Gefr arrived pretty fast though a bit after I had paid 5X as much from KTM. I have nice set for spare now anyway. Not sure what happened other than I had bought it from the dealer with 1000 miles on it already so maybe some dirty gas in there somewhere. My issue started with some full throttle choking and seemed alright the next day, only to leave me stranded on the highway so I wouldn't go too far.
990west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Bikepin OP
n00b

I took it all apart on saturday and called around to the various shops that carry KTM products including the 2 dealers in the area...no one has filters in stock! Immediately got on-line and started looking around at prices and availability - CJ designs has the filter replace kit for a hair less than other places and throws in the 2 big pump gaskets for free - and they delivered in 3 days no shipping charge.

I took pictures but can't seem to post them. round filter looked dirty but the new tea bag is made of whiter material so looks much cleaner to start with. Everything back together again and rode it hard this morning, no issues.

hope that was it.