ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #61
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
haven't had it outside yet, id imagine with its glossy screen it won't be great... ill take pics this afternoon when I get home.
"Glossy" isn't the issue when it comes to sunlight readability. The issue is, does the surface of the display (map screen in our case) have enough "reflectivity" to be seen outdoors easily and with good contrast? This requires trade-offs in display design which most smartphone and tablet mfg's are not willing to do.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #62
btao OP
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Hmm?

I'm waiting for CC to get his remote (with GPS chipset) out for DSM, then most any tablet can be fed from the phone and charged by the bike's battery. Check out his vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWlCVZFWnM

He has delayed production because he thinks it is too pricey now.
I guess there are plenty of GPS antenna's for laptops, but that gets plugged into the only USB port on it, so how would you charge it? Splitter option is probably a no-go to work with charging that would keep up.

Everything has so many work-arounds that I just want the damn Earl to exist!! Now dammit! I hope they can do it though, really, because it would be really cool for a crowd-funded project like this to succeed. It's hugely ambitious to give you everything, for a bargain price.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #63
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Too bad it doesn't have a GPS antenna

It's not listed anywhere in the specs on Hisense's website... ut oh...
hmm..and I was just playing with maps...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...e-for-50-less/
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #64
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
"Glossy" isn't the issue when it comes to sunlight readability. The issue is, does the surface of the display (map screen in our case) have enough "reflectivity" to be seen outdoors easily and with good contrast? This requires trade-offs in display design which most smartphone and tablet mfg's are not willing to do.
if you say so, I'm fine with it. so far, when I see a glossy screen I just write it off as far as outside usability.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #65
btao OP
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
hmm..and I was just playing with maps...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...e-for-50-less/
Now I'm listening.

Although, GLONASS is an advantage, it's not a deal breaker by any means.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #66
btao OP
Pwned

shoot, I'd give the Archos ChefPad a shot if it wasn't in that stupid pink case, geeesh.....
Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #67
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Too bad it doesn't have a GPS antenna

It's not listed anywhere in the specs on Hisense's website... ut oh...
gps status (android market) with and without airplane mode (no connectivity to wireless, or bluetooth) activated...

so yes, there is actually a gps antennae. if it didn't, i'd take it back and get the kids version that already has a bumper, and the same quad core tegra 3 cpu... this one:http://www.kmart.com/fuhu-nabi-7inch...7&blockType=G7

ohgood screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 06:04 AM
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:34 AM   #68
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
When you "invest" in anything like this, you need to be in a position, and have the mindset, that you can just as well put a match to the money.

And when people who have not done a major project like this take them on, they often think that the timeline that the "experts" provide just don't apply to them. And then they find that they do.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #69
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
When you "invest" in anything like this, you need to be in a position, and have the mindset, that you can just as well put a match to the money.

And when people who have not done a major project like this take them on, they often think that the timeline that the "experts" provide just don't apply to them. And then they find that they do.
problem is not the crowd funding investors who took the risk and "invested" in the project and over funded project by 2x.

it's all the pre-orders taken by this startup that are creating what looks like looming problems. what happens, if ALL those pre-order folks start demand their $$$ back? And the $$$ has already been spent???

could be wrong, but my guess is that's why the lack of communications for that short period .. they had a crush of refund demands and they got scared...

same thing happened in a number of group buys that I was involved in on Candlepower forums. where a relatively large sum of $$$ was taken in advance for high tech flashlights. it was not unusual for those group buys to total $10k+ for one project with lead times ending up exceeding one year. with one swindler that did multiple projects ended up taking folks on CPF for $20k+

LOTS of pissed off folks when final product was NOT delivered. when folks started contacting law enforcement they had a nasty surprise. folks that "invested" or prepaid for their custom flashlights found out they all had to file charges individually and in the jurisdiction the now swindler lived in.

the total amount taken in may have exceeded $20k, but charges could only be filed for the amount personally lost by individual filing charges. social media like forums allows massive numbers of folks to connect making pooling of funds possible. but when things go wrong.. only individual charges can be brought.

after one year, two years and longer .. paypal charges, credit card, USPS money orders, etc. etc. any recourse are long gone. and NO USPS did nothing about fraud committed across state lines using USPS money orders in actual group buys mentioned above.

_cy_ screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 06:19 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #70
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
I need a tablet-sized gps unless I wear cheater glasses and I'm tired of wearing them under helmet.
I just got back from a trip. I always put two GPS units on my GSA, my Zumo for streets and my DeLorme PN-40 for off-road. The only issue I really have with the PN-40 is the screen is way too small for my eyes. I've started wearing my glasses instead of contacts since I don't need cheaters if I wear glasses (but it's still a PIA since I have to look over or under the lenses). A larger screen would definitely help. But that said, I'm still not quite sure about this device. But then it's not for off-road adventures, it really is for hiking, which I can see this device as usable for... however, not quite sure about bikes.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #71
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I just got back from a trip. I always put two GPS units on my GSA, my Zumo for streets and my DeLorme PN-40 for off-road. The only issue I really have with the PN-40 is the screen is way too small for my eyes. I've started wearing my glasses instead of contacts since I don't need cheaters if I wear glasses (but it's still a PIA since I have to look over or under the lenses). A larger screen would definitely help. But that said, I'm still not quite sure about this device. But then it's not for off-road adventures, it really is for hiking, which I can see this device as usable for... however, not quite sure about bikes.
what you're describing is exactly why a tablet outpaces a standalone gps unit, or really, needing multiple gps units.

totally offline OFFROAD routing, mapping and navigation:
oruxmaps

totally offline ONROAD routing, mapping, and navigation:
osmand+

same device, same microsd card, same screen, just different apps. or, pick from the 20 or so others, with 30 or so map styles and layers of info on top of that....

too bad it looks like earl died, or was a scam, or whatever. :(

go buy a cheap droid tablet and enjoy it.

ohgood screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 05:09 AM
ohgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #72
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
problem is not the crowd funding investors who took the risk and "invested" in the project and over funded project by 2x.

it's all the pre-orders taken by this startup that are creating what looks like looming problems. what happens, if ALL those pre-order folks start demand their $$$ back? And the $$$ has already been spent???.
Agreed.

The meetearl website says
Quote:
Payments are processed at the time of order. This allows us to proceed with development as soon as our goal is met. If we are unable to meet our goal, preorder payments will be refunded in full.
If they are using the money for development, how in the world will they be able to refund any or all of it?

While this looks like an interesting concept, I'd be holding on to my $$ at least until it gets FCC approval.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #73
btao OP
Pwned

The Forum is back up!

http://forum.meetearl.com/
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #74
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
The Forum is back up!

http://forum.meetearl.com/
Link working for anyone? Looks down again to me.

Last tweet was a week ago; "your request will be honored" in response to someone asking for a refund four times with no prior response. I don't tweet or follow any, but I'm guessing a week is a good while in twitterspeak?
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #75
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Link working for anyone? Looks down again to me.

Last tweet was a week ago; "your request will be honored" in response to someone asking for a refund four times with no prior response. I don't tweet or follow any, but I'm guessing a week is a good while in twitterspeak?
Yes, its working for me right now.