ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #76
btao OP
Pwned

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Link working for anyone? Looks down again to me.

Last tweet was a week ago; "your request will be honored" in response to someone asking for a refund four times with no prior response. I don't tweet or follow any, but I'm guessing a week is a good while in twitterspeak?
Yep, working fine.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #77
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM 3 View Post
Yes, its working for me right now.
Thanks guys. Must be firewall issue for me or I have been banned. :-)

Will appreciate it if you keep the thread updated when something new happens or release date is firmed up. thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #78
gpsdualsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
New stuff about Earl Touch Screen

There is a fresh update on the Meet Earl website. Touch screen type has been changed to a glove friendly model from Cypress Semiconductor. According to the smart guys the IR touch screen would be tough to make truly water proof.
gpsdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #79
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
I will forgo the 15% pre order discount and let others Be My Beta testers

I hope it is a decent unit
This.

Looks like a really neat device. I'll be watching this one.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #80
btao OP
Pwned

New update

October 1st, 2013 oktobEARLfest There has been no shortage of excitement since our last update. Between the national holiday of the mid-autumn festival and Typhoon Usagi, local business hours have been unpredictable, to say the least. Fortunately, we have been making solid progress on Earl's development despite these intermittent closures. The hardware engineering team has made some impressive advancements with their iMX6 development and we have some early demo units we've been testing. It looks like we should have an early SDK by mid-October, enabling us to begin app development with a tuned E-ink display API. Team Earl is extremely happy with the progress thus far and will be meeting with the mechanical design engineers next week to finalize Earl's case design. With a myriad of sensors and ports (USB, TRRS, and antenna), the proper and most efficient placement of these components is an engineering feat in and of itself. We are entering the core stage of development and very excited about how Earl is coming together. We can't wait to show off Earl's capabilities and should have demo units ready sometime in November. We'll be sending them out to field testers to put them through the paces while the team fine tunes Earl's final design here in China. The beginning of October marks China's National Day, teeing off a week long celebration that commemorates Chinese heritage. Even though businesses will be closed again, I'll be busy prepping MD files for the team and hopefully, working on my Mandarin! Until next time! 謝謝 / 谢谢 (Thank You!!!) Pronounced, xie xie.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #81
Wanted
Dead or Alive

Oddometer: 89
Is this the right GPS for me?

I don't really know much about handheld GPS units. However I'm hoping someone can just give me a simple unbiased opinion. All I want is a GPS with a large screen like this tablet size to mount to a rally style dash. I want to be able to create tracks off of Google Earth from my base, and import it onto the GPS to use in the field with alternative routes preset as a backup.

I want to take this GPS to some really remote places, I have a SPOT emergency beacon, and no need for any of the fancy extras like 2 way radio or mp3 player, anything like this. Will the Earl do the trick?
Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #82
StoneAgeMan
Wanderer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
Is this the right GPS for me?

I don't really know much about handheld GPS units. However I'm hoping someone can just give me a simple unbiased opinion. All I want is a GPS with a large screen like this tablet size to mount to a rally style dash. I want to be able to create tracks off of Google Earth from my base, and import it onto the GPS to use in the field with alternative routes preset as a backup.

I want to take this GPS to some really remote places, I have a SPOT emergency beacon, and no need for any of the fancy extras like 2 way radio or mp3 player, anything like this. Will the Earl do the trick?
As the Earl has not actually been released, it's hard to say exactly what Android apps will work fine on Earl.

But it's pretty much "just" an Android tablet. All actual hardware, for example the E-ink display, is hidden away from the apps (more precisely from the application programmers).

There are a lot of GPS-based Android apps out there, some with maps, most without. There are several sources for topo-maps, but trail information is what's missing from most.

Tracks from Google Earth can be saved in multiple formats, most of which can be read by most GPS-based Android apps.

Note that I've not answered your question of "Will the Earl do the trick?". The easy answer is "of course it will", for the easy task you specified, i.e. 1) let you load multiple tracks generated from Google Earth; 2) display those tracks; 3) show where the tablet in relationship to the tracks; 4) one you didn't mention, display some map as a background on which the routes are also.

All of that's because it's an Android device with a GPS and the Android tool-kits (used by all the Android app programmers) have a Location service that lets them get the current location.

But the real key is the waterproofing (and shock-proofing and low energy consumption so longer batter life). There are almost no waterproof "large-format" (7-10 inches) screens available to you (except for expensive custom deals). The various GPSes are waterproof, but not large. The various large screen devices are not waterproof, although some have small amounts of water-resistance.

I have not seen an "integrated solution" for your scenario. In other words, there is not (yet) a single app that lets you take routes from Google Earth directly to a tablet/phone. Now that I've posted this, somebody will build it and send the link.

But all that means is that you will have to learn how to save the tracks (whether from Google Earth or elsewhere) in a format that your Android mapping application supports.

Back Road Navigator is not bad, but there are a bunch of these Android apps. Try them and see which one you like as they all do mostly the same thing, just some things easier on some than others.

I think the Earl will be kick-ass, but it will also be my 3rd Android tablet. A couple of friends have iPads and they are also fine. I'm cost-sensitive and am not bothered by the somewhat less predictable apps in the Android market vs. the Apple market.

StoneAge
StoneAgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #83
moto_dmitriy
que?

Oddometer: 71
One of the main problems with earl and other e-Ink navigation devices is that the maps are not optimized to be displayed on a B&W screen hence the resulting display looks washed out and bleak. We need something exactly like the following implementation: http://maps.stamen.com/toner/#12/37.7706/-122.3782
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #84
zardoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
MeetEarl

http://meetearl.com looks very promising for touring AND finding buddies at the rally or campground etc. Not yet a product, but they're hopeful to ship by Spring. Might be worth watching.

It's a gps with topo maps, radio, weather info and radio, barometer, solar charger, walkytalky, well just go have a look at what it can do!
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #85
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
http://meetearl.com looks very promising for touring AND finding buddies at the rally or campground etc. Not yet a product, but they're hopeful to ship by Spring. Might be worth watching.

It's a gps with topo maps, radio, weather info and radio, barometer, solar charger, walkytalky, well just go have a look at what it can do!
Merged

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #86
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
As the Earl has not actually been released, it's hard to say exactly what Android apps will work fine on Earl.

But it's pretty much "just" an Android tablet. All actual hardware, for example the E-ink display, is hidden away from the apps (more precisely from the application programmers).

There are a lot of GPS-based Android apps out there, some with maps, most without. There are several sources for topo-maps, but trail information is what's missing from most.

Tracks from Google Earth can be saved in multiple formats, most of which can be read by most GPS-based Android apps.

Note that I've not answered your question of "Will the Earl do the trick?". The easy answer is "of course it will", for the easy task you specified, i.e. 1) let you load multiple tracks generated from Google Earth; 2) display those tracks; 3) show where the tablet in relationship to the tracks; 4) one you didn't mention, display some map as a background on which the routes are also.

All of that's because it's an Android device with a GPS and the Android tool-kits (used by all the Android app programmers) have a Location service that lets them get the current location.

But the real key is the waterproofing (and shock-proofing and low energy consumption so longer batter life). There are almost no waterproof "large-format" (7-10 inches) screens available to you (except for expensive custom deals). The various GPSes are waterproof, but not large. The various large screen devices are not waterproof, although some have small amounts of water-resistance.

I have not seen an "integrated solution" for your scenario. In other words, there is not (yet) a single app that lets you take routes from Google Earth directly to a tablet/phone. Now that I've posted this, somebody will build it and send the link.

But all that means is that you will have to learn how to save the tracks (whether from Google Earth or elsewhere) in a format that your Android mapping application supports.

Back Road Navigator is not bad, but there are a bunch of these Android apps. Try them and see which one you like as they all do mostly the same thing, just some things easier on some than others.

I think the Earl will be kick-ass, but it will also be my 3rd Android tablet. A couple of friends have iPads and they are also fine. I'm cost-sensitive and am not bothered by the somewhat less predictable apps in the Android market vs. the Apple market.

StoneAge

All I really need to do is get GPS tracks for BDR rides from the internet and download them on a large screen GPS , would Earl be what I 'm looking for. ???.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #87
gpsdualsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Earl is currently vapor ware. The web site looks promising but the planned Nov 2013 release date has come and gone.
The release has been pushed to spring/summer of 14 if you believe the development schedule.
If you really want a tablet sized GPS unit you will have to roll your own for now. The link below has the details of the pioneers who have attempted what you are talking about.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942663
I'm waiting for Earl myself. But then I bought a Aprillia RXV 450 thinking it would be a good dual sport bike.
gpsdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #88
btao OP
Pwned

At least they have been communicating vastly better. And once a month is vastly better... Should be great someday...

I do like the improvements they have been making recently.

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator
Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #89
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
just a february ping.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #90
btao OP
Pwned

Update

And here's a word from our sponsor:

March Madness

Reinforcements have arrived! One of the initial members of Team Earl recently relocated to Hong Kong in order to help during the final stages of development. Tyson Fok has been integral in the early stages of development and PR for the crowd funding campaign. As he gets up to speed on all the current ongoings, update frequency and communication with backers will see a marked increase. We are very excited and happy to welcome him to the fray. Earl has become a bit like conducting an orchestra. Though a little chaotic and out of tune at times, our main partner has done an amazing job of coordinating all the individual teams developing each of the components for Earl. Our RF system is an engineering feat in and of itself. A local Shenzhen manufacturer of two-way radio modules has tackled the task of creating an all-in-one radio that will pass FCC, CE and C-tick requirements. Though we were promised a developer friendly module by early February, debugging proved to be more complicated than anticipated and took an additional few weeks to work out the kinks. But we couldn't be more pleased with the results. When we arrived at our office on Friday we were pleasantly surprised to see our walkie talkie team waiting with our module mounted on a demo setup with microphone and speaker. Still waiting for custom Android drivers to be built, this was a suitable alternative to finally test out Earl’s radio system with the requisite, crystal clear, “Can you hear me now?”. It was like witnessing the birth of our first born, only better! The next treat was to finally see data streaming across the airwaves from our new modules, no cell phone towers, no wifi, just Earl to Earl. One of the big decisions we made early in development was to make the move from a fixed to a removable antenna system. We knew this would give users the flexibility to switch out antenna for clearer and longer range transmissions on more specific frequency ranges. We also wanted to make sure the antenna that Earl ships with would be top notch. Working closely with our tooling factory and a recommendation from our two-way radio manufacturer, we set out to develop a custom dual band (VHF/UHF) antenna. Because Earl can be used in landscape or portrait modes, we also had to design an antenna that adjusts to each mode. We chose to affix the antenna with a standard SMA connector on the back of Earl which allows for these multiple positions and stores nicely in the groove of Earl’s hand grip when not in use. We have a few options for the connector and locking mechanism for the connection and will be visiting our tooling factory this Friday to discuss the details of manufacturing our new antenna. Just a few more tweaks before we throw up version 1.5 of our site. We need final approval of the antenna system design with our tooling factory before preparing imagery. So in the meantime we have an updated list of the official specifications of Earl below:
Android 4.4 (Kit Kat)
6” Flexible, sunlight viewable, E-ink screen (1024x758) with front light
Glove friendly capacitive touchscreen
i.MX 6 DualLite 1 GHz Cortex A9 processor
1GB ram
16GB memory + microSD (up to 128GB)
WiFi 802.11 B/G/N
NFC with Android Beam
Bluetooth 4.0
ANT+
AM/FM/SW/LW world radio
2w two-way radio with 1w/0.5w low power modes
GMRS (USA/CA): 462 + 467 MHz
PMR446 (EU): 446 MHz
UHF CB (AU/NZ): 477MHz
VHF: 2m, 136-174 MHz
UHF: 70cm, 400-480 MHz
GPS with support for GLONASS (Russia), Galileo (EU) and Bedidou (China) locational satellite systems
9-Axis Accelerometer/Gyroscope/Magnetometer
Temperature, Humidity and Barometer (10cm resolution)
Wolfson WM8960 audio codec
Waterproof microphone and speaker, 1 watt
Vibration alerts
3.5mm TRRS headphone/microphone jack
Micro USB
Impact resistant solar panel, 22% efficiency rating
20+ hour Li-Ion 3000mAh removable battery
Quick Charging system with data support
Dual quick disconnect sling connectors
IP68 certified, Ingress Protection of dust and water up to 2 meters (6.6 feet) for up to 60 minutes
125mm x 178mm x 15mm (24mm w/antenna)
We’re still waiting on a few more details to come in from our manufacturing partners so we can reassess our timeline. Since our walkie talkie module was delayed, we had to push back certification until the beginning of April. It will only take a few days to test and pass tests here in Shenzhen, after which we can submit for final approval. We’ll be using this time to run through a few tooling tests so that we can start manufacturing in mid to late May. We have a few meetings this week and once we chat with everyone about their individual timelines, we’ll post an update with the de facto schedule.