User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
This sucks! Headset woes

Is it just me or for the amount of money we pay for these things, shouldn't they get somewhere close to just working and working the way we would like them too?

All I want is to be able to ride with my girlfriend, talk with a headset, and have us both listen to the same music. I would like to be able to use speakers around town and headphones on the highway, with the same device.

I have a Sena SMH10 and think it's a good product but it cost around $250 for the set and still doesn't do half of these things. You have to spend another 100 dollars to get a device so we can both listen to the same music. Then, of course, there's no option for headphones and speakers, so you have to hack it all apart and solder it, then you suck at soldering so one of the solders comes undone... Then if you would like to have bluetooth music and gps you need a nice garmin and that's another ton of money. So you're in over $850 to do what seems to me to be a few simple tasks. Weren't they able to talk to astronauts in orbit in 1962?

Just seems like a lot of money to spend on stuff that's still not that great.

Oh well. Life sucks, sorry for the rant.

And yes, it is sweet that these products at least exist!
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
I think its you and the amount of features they have stuffed into these BT headsets has been amazing. Early BT headsets were pretty painful and Sena & Scala have both come a long ways since the early setups.

One of the things you have to understand that BT is a 1 to 1 relationship between each connection and always has been. When you start thinking about all the multiple connections these BT headsets can do and how many other headsets and devices they can connect to at the same time, that actually gets pretty mind boggling when you really thinking about it. There's a lot of work involved in getting all those connections to play nice together.

So when you talk about you and your gf both listening to the same music source, well that means the device you are listening to music from would need to support 2 simultaneous connections. I don't know of a common music device out there that supports 2 BT connections for 2 headsets at the same time. Ipods/Iphones don't, Android smart phones don't, so maybe you should be angry at these devices for not supporting 2 simultaneous BT headset connections because then it would be easy to share a music source.

What that means then is the only other way around this is that the BT headset manufacture needs to find a way to rebroadcast that single BT audio channel from the BT device and have 2 different BT profiles available so that 2 different headsets can connect at the same time. Sena was the first one to do with this with the SM10 which allows a hard wired music source to be rebroadcasted from their BT hub and allow 2 headsets to connect to it. My understanding is that the Cardio Q3 also does this now, so it must also be able to rebroadcast the music signal to the 2nd headset?

As for as actually intercom conversations, I personally think Sena has done a terrific job here and they work exactly like they should. They are simple and they work.

Oh yeah, Sena has just released a clamp that has both speakers and a headphone plug. They actually have two different models depending on the mic setup you want. Mine just came in the other day.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
BlueLghtning has touched on some of it, but bear in mind that the bluetooth protocol was designed primarily for stuff like mice, keyboards, phone to earpiece and so on. Class 2 is up to 10m. Class 1 (the most powerful) was for up to 100m - and like anything, good luck getting that range. I did once try bluetooth access points instead of wireless... had 4 fail in the space of a couple of months and gave up.

I reckon they done pretty good, but there will be further improvements as time passes...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
As for as actually intercom conversations, I personally think Sena has done a terrific job here and they work exactly like they should. They are simple and they work.
I will agree with that point, I used to only use it for conversation and it is pretty damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Oh yeah, Sena has just released a clamp that has both speakers and a headphone plug. They actually have two different models depending on the mic setup you want. Mine just came in the other day.
I just saw on the Sena board this device they released. It seems kind of stupid. They add another long chord on top of your already long headphone chord. I thought that was screwy when I tried the earbud clamp as well. I do like that it seems clear that they are listening though.

I just finished resoldering my jack and I have a headphone jack right on the bottom of the clamp. This seems like a cleaner solution and I wish sena did it that way.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Yeah, I agree they're new headset clamp could have been designed better without that extra long cord, but it is a step in the right direction.

Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just looked at the Cardo Q3 and it seems to do everything I want. That said, I've set my Sena up to do that to, so for now I'm all good. I like the one button design of Sena much better than cardo's setup.

Didn't mean for this thread to be a knock on Sena, just on how much money it takes to get things to do what I want. But I'm a needy little bitch, aren't I?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
Didn't mean for this thread to be a knock on Sena, just on how much money it takes to get things to do what I want. But I'm a needy little bitch, aren't I?
Simple problems, simple solutions... Anything else and you're going to pay. I had a custom made bolt made for me once, coz it _had_ to be like _this_ and it didn't exist in mass manufacturing.

Still, you always appreciate the achievements, because you didn't just walk out and buy it.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Weren't they able to talk to astronauts in orbit in 1962?
Yep but I can assure you that they paid more than 250$ to achieve that.

Quote:
Just seems like a lot of money to spend on stuff that's still not that great.

See previous answer.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
I guess I'm simple, but my GF and I can listen to the same music and talk to each other on our SENA SMH 10 units.

They are fabulous. No issues, great clarity and I've yet to run them out of battery. SENA is probably one of the best motorcycle accessories I've ever purchased.

Good luck and happy riding.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,998
You could always learn to hum a few tunes, and memorize your map.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
mexipike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
I guess I'm simple, but my GF and I can listen to the same music and talk to each other on our SENA SMH 10 units.

They are fabulous. No issues, great clarity and I've yet to run them out of battery. SENA is probably one of the best motorcycle accessories I've ever purchased.

Good luck and happy riding.
I'm guessing to do this though you have to use a splitter and physically plug in to the back if the headsets. I used to do this but found it to be lots of chords jiggling around.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
MelissaToBeMe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
OP, looks like your making the Sena work good for you, but a system like that does exist now. It's still not a 1-button design like the Sena, but:

If you don't need range and it's just to talk to the gf behind you, the Q1 from scala is made specifically for that. I've got the Q3, but to my understanding Q1 and Q3 are identical other than bike to bike ability...

- Intercom (obviously)
- Removable speakers (standard jack built right into base) so you can choose.
- Ability to listen to the same music (no additional purchase like the SR10 required)

Also comes with FM radio built in, choice of microphones, etc.

Best part, $250 total.
MelissaToBeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
SENA is probably one of the best motorcycle accessories I've ever purchased.
Should have FM. I have an autocom that's probably 8 or more years old. It doesn't have FM and it's wired. But I believe it does everything thats been asked of the Sena or Scala. Has never let me down and it hasn't been charged in eight years.

I wouldn't mind upgrading but at this point there really isn't anything to upgrade too. For me, it looks like both systems are a couple models away before I jump the autocom ship. That is, unless my autocom breaks.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Should have FM. I have an autocom that's probably 8 or more years old. It doesn't have FM and it's wired. But I believe it does everything thats been asked of the Sena or Scala. Has never let me down and it hasn't been charged in eight years.

I wouldn't mind upgrading but at this point there really isn't anything to upgrade too. For me, it looks like both systems are a couple models away before I jump the autocom ship. That is, unless my autocom breaks.
Maybe in the later models its gotten better and I'm sure it works better if you are in a "larger" city, but I found the FM in my early Scala Q2 worthless. Changing and storing stations through the device was an absolute nightmare and its reception for stations that weren't "local" was horrible. I'm in a suburb of Atl and can get most stations in a car, but those same stations did not work at all in the Scala unless I was actually in Atl. I know in later Scala's, you can pre-program the stations you listen to via the computer, so that certainly helps there, but unless you are right in a big city with strong FM signals, I still think its really not that great. I believe Sena has an FM model out now also, but again, I really ask why. I'm not even a fan of listening to FM music in the car myself, I'd rather listen to Pandora or my MP3's, etc so I'm sure that doesn't help my view.

IMOP, what any of the manufactures should be looking at is a micro sd card slot where you can store your own MP3's right in the device. Heck, these days a 32gb or even 64gb SD card is pretty cheap and that's a lot of music right at your finger tips without worrying about BT to your phone or music player. Even if it was just always a random shuffle, you would always have the music you like at your fingertips and no worry of where your music signal was coming from. That makes a whole lot more sense than FM, but apparently many people still like FM because they keep adding it to these headsets.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
The new scala q3 does all what you just asked.
Isorg is offline   Reply With Quote