Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Odd question, trials tyres on a DS bike?

I might put a set of trials tyres on my 2001 XR400R and was wondering if the DOT approved versions work better on the street than a DOT approved knobbie and how well they might last with about 60 40 street dirt. My XR is plated BTW....
Old 08-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
I just put an MT43 on the back of my KLX250S. It handles just as the D605 that came off of there on the street, much better off the pavement. Two guys at the shop have them on their dual sports, a KLX300 and a DRZ400 and both like them a lot. Sounds like they wear better than TKCs or D606s as well, I saw the one on the DRZ and the guy said it had 4500 miles on it and still quite a bit of life left.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I might put a set of trials tyres on my 2001 XR400R and was wondering if the DOT approved versions work better on the street than a DOT approved knobbie and how well they might last with about 60 40 street dirt. My XR is plated BTW....
Hmmm. I have questions that I do not think are odd. You have a bajillion post count and you've never seen one thread on this? Search MT-43, read half the threads, and get back to me in two years. (And you're in NM and you spell tires tyres?)

OK, sorry for the above I guess. The short answer is the MT-43 at low pressure is the greatest thing on rocks and roots and logs and even buff ST, and the biggest fail on some other stuff. I won't deprive you of the joy of discovering what that other stuff is. :-) Running regular TTs on heavier, non-trial bikes, especially on the street, will burn the center knobs off or chunk them off. DOT MT-43 has stiffer sidewall for heavier bikes, that's why we don't use then on TBs, but do on DS bikes. They last a long time on street, YMMV, so try one. And they deliver the same traction at end of life as new. There, saved you two years of reading. :-)

(hint: soft, dry, loamy soil where you don't get a run at the hill)
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Monty348
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Oh my, I'm venting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I might put a set of trials tyres on my 2001 XR400R and was wondering....
Never fails to amaze me. Folks, this is a Trials forum, not a trials tire forum. Unless I'm mistaken our focus is Trials specific. That's riding & equipment related to the sport of Trials and Trials motorcycles. There must be XR400 forums that can better answer these type questions. Sigh....
Monty348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,628
Us trials folks are internet snobs...
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Wow quick to judge... Even if it sounds a bit snob-ish the fact is that Monty348 is correct, an XR400 form or some other dirt/dual sport form would have a better idea of how well they would work on that bike.

Though some trials riders do ride dual sport or dirt bikes many of us only ride trials bikes. With that in consideration, would we really know how well it would work on this bike? (maybe... maybe not...)

On the other hand if you ask a group of XR400 or dual sport riders what they have experienced you would at least get feedback from people who know how they work on bikes of the same class or at least close.

Warning! second hand advice... I have a bunch of friends that run an MT43 on the rear and a DOT knobby on the front and love that combination. Most of them have told me that they don't like the MT43 in soft sand or muddy clay, but feel they do well in almost anything else.

Good luck figuring it out.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Hmmm. (And you're in NM and you spell tires tyres?)
Yeah, I'm pretty sur you can get beat up in Albuquerque for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty348 View Post
Never fails to amaze me. Folks, this is a Trials forum, not a trials tire forum. Unless I'm mistaken our focus is Trials specific. That's riding & equipment related to the sport of Trials and Trials motorcycles. There must be XR400 forums that can better answer these type questions. Sigh....
Easy there Monty.
As far as I'm concerned you don't even need to have a motorcycle to post here. Anybody who is interested in Trials is OK by me.
But yeah it is somewhat implausible that someone with 31,000 posts can't find some simple tire information. Maybe he's never stopped posting long enough to look anything up.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
Monty348
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
didn't mean to rile anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Hope I didn't come across as snobbish! That's certainly not my intent. I'm a fan of this sport and want to promote it, not chase anyone away.
My point is that it's best to ask questions in forums where knowledge of the pertaining subject is likely to be most prevalent. Then again, this is the internet.
Monty348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,327
Quote:
Hope I didn't come across as snobbish!
Of course you did! All you low post trolls, should be ashamed of your actions.

Sniper X's title of the thread reads " Odd question", then asks for help about trials tires...on a trials forum! I bet the number of XR 400 owners, who use trials tires is VERY small. So S-X thinks, I bet the trials guys can help me...their a bunch of nice guys. Then, you guys act like a bunch of trolls/children.

What a bunch of Internet tough guys...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Hope I didn't come across as snobbish! ..
I can see where some one could miss read it as such, but I could tell your intent I think they just read to much into it instead of giving you the benefit of the doute.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
I had an MT 43 on the rear of my KLX250 for a while. Great on the road and very grippy off road in the dry desert areas where I ride. One situation where they did not work was on gravel roads with 19 psi. No grip whatsoever and totally squirrelly at more than 40 mph. Fishtailing like crazy. But when I dropped the pressure down closer to 10 psi it helped. I should maybe give it another try but the tire is now on my Reflex. Nevertheless I think overall I prefer the Dunlop 606 I have back there now. Does everything just fine at around 15-18 psi. I don't really want to have to adjust tire pressure going from road to gravel to trail. Not much anyway.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Of course you did! All you low post trolls, should be ashamed of your actions.

Sniper X's title of the thread reads " Odd question", then asks for help about trials tires...on a trials forum! I bet the number of XR 400 owners, who use trials tires is VERY small. So S-X thinks, I bet the trials guys can help me...their a bunch of nice guys. Then, you guys act like a bunch of trolls/children.

What a bunch of Internet tough guys...
I think I helped, no? Even if in a "childish way"? as one of the few that ride other bikes too? With TTs on a couple of them? No, I am sure I did. Going to show this to my wife right now, proof that I'm not always a jerk.

BTW, to the OP, it is worth it to air up and down for street (15-20) and dirt (5-12), I even do it when coming to different stuff, like bigger rocks or slow going over logs, cuz my rims can take a beating at 5 psi on the 530 with Tubliss. If you're not going to run the MT below 10, you'll not be taking near advantage of it, as the DOT sidewall is way stiffer than a TT's.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,327
Quote:
Going to show this to my wife right now, proof that I'm not always a jerk.

You have to check with your wife, to see 'if' you've acted badly...

Isn't that something, you should be able to handle on your own.

I rest my case.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post

You have to check with your wife, to see 'if' you've acted badly...

Isn't that something, you should be able to handle on your own.

I rest my case.
No goofball, you misunderstood. :-) I'm sure I was helpful to the OP, so I'm going to show this to the wifey to show her that I'm not a jerk, cuz she only sees my bad side...oh, never mind.

Hey OP, the MT-43 is so popular out here that a local DS club (NCWR) is hosting a ride coming up that requires a TT on the ST loop, on account that they don't want to jeopardize their unique relationship with the Forest Circus by tearing up the trails with evil knobbies (mostly their words).

So there is the green thing going for them too.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Hey OP, the MT-43 is so popular out here that a local DS club (NCWR) is hosting a ride coming up that requires a TT on the ST loop, on account that they don't want to jeopardize their unique relationship with the Forest Circus by tearing up the trails with evil knobbies (mostly their words). .
Yea, kind of elitist requiring a trials tire for a group ride if you ask me.. Are you going on that ride? I am considering it.

I just went to MT43 front on my KTM450. I had one hanging in the garage and was sick of replacing my front knobby every few months. The MT43 front is better on pavement than a knobby for sure. Over all for a "plated dirt bike" I prefer a front knobby with a MT43 rear.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is online now   Reply With Quote