User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
2-up Beasts?

Looking for input on 2up capability of a few of the slightly older beasts, 1st gen caponord, 955i Tigers, and maybe the v-stroms. I like the TDM's but I'd like something with EFI. I plan to avoid bmw's in the future so despite my admiration of the GS's I don't see one in my future. Anything I'm missing that'd be a practical 2up beast, say available under $6k(cheaper the better, not ready to buy cheaper does =sooner though)

Also of note, I'm 5'10" 195lbs, 32" inseam, wifey is about 5'6" and roughly 160lbs. We are both 30yrs old. Not likely to carry a ton of gear(no camping) but do intend to have a full set of bags.

Crazy as the difference is, I'm weighing my options between a beast, and a touring cruiser of some sort. I actually like the road glides, and electra's(as eye candy, sit test is nice too), but I've not ridden any of the cruisers and am not going to spend the money these bring. Something like a rocket iii would be entertaining though and I've seen them setup for touring fairly reasonably, royal star ventures are cheap but carb'd, if I could swing it I'd even consider a used GL1800.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,424
Buell Ulysses? You can get a good 2006 for around $4 - $5k with bags. Nice engine, great suspension, lots of character. Never owned one but they are on my list of bikes to own.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
MXG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
V-Strom 1000. Best bang for buck. The Buell had too much "character', sold it as soon as I could.
MXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
elementalg20 OP
Studly Adventurer

The Uly is a cool bike, but I think some of it's flaws, as I percieve them are just a little to large for me to deal with. They are supposed to be very good 2up though.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXG View Post
V-Strom 1000. Best bang for buck. The Buell had too much "character', sold it as soon as I could.
Yes, the Buell is definitely the anti-Strom! Definitely polar opposites.

If you get a Strom, go for the 1000, the 650 is too gutless for two up on the hwy.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Buell Ulysses? You can get a good 2006 for around $4 - $5k with bags. Nice engine, great suspension, lots of character. Never owned one but they are on my list of bikes to own.
That really depends on what type of riding you like to do. I love my Uly, but the thought of a long 2 up trip (600+ miles) terrifies me. The suspension is a little soft IMO for that.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 183
2up

The strom is the only way to go other than tiger 955i for affordable fun.The wee was good and very smooth personally it did not feel gutless to me even after selling my HP2 great bike though. The big Vee I have now is great two up and wife approved except the engine sounds like a bag of rocks compared to the wee. Bang for the buck there are plenty of Vees for sale cheap often well farkled.The wee however is cheaper to insure and easy to sell with lower milage. I'm smitten with the Vee and can't sell it because its pretty freaking sweet and the wife loves it, great bike awesome two up pretty close to a VFR minus two cylinders. As for a two up cant go wrong with either buy a Beemer and your partner will ride next to the tow truck driver or leave you for maxing your credit on repairs and services .
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
[QUOTE=elementalg20;22111899if I could swing it I'd even consider a used GL1800.[/QUOTE]

Go for the GL1500SE, '95 or newer, many say it is a "better fit" than the GL1800

I just bought a '99 Honda 50th Anniversary edition, bloody brilliant.

The 'Wings are rock solid high miler's with basically no issues, plenty of after market goodies available as well.

I was looking for a cruiser as my Mrs. feels nervous on the Wee, she gets easily fatigued [since cancer surgery and chemo] and is afraid she will fall asleep and fall off the bike.

Part of my desire was for a decent backrest and arm rests, while looking at a Valkyrie I also threw a leg over a 'Wing.... so much lower centre of gravity and even more opulent passenger seating, perfect.

Being a carby bike is not a problem, super smooth 6 cylinder with heaps of torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Yes, the Buell is definitely the anti-Strom! Definitely polar opposites.

If you get a Strom, go for the 1000, the 650 is too gutless for two up on the hwy.
Bullshit..... but then again, it depends on how hard you want to ride two up.

Personally, I have no issue easily exceeding the speed limits and overtaking on the highway while fully loaded with panniers- top box and the Mrs. [before she had the surgery and chemo] and cruising along at 130+ kph/80 mph.

The Wee is a more than capable and reliable two up long distance touring bike, nothing wrong with the Vee either for that matter [visit the Stromtrooper forum, enough Strom info available to make your head explode].

I have had multiple Beemer's [never again, the repair/maintenance bills are too high and reliability to low], Yamaha's, Suzuki's and Honda's.

My current rides are the Wee I bought new back in '09 and the '99 Honda Goldwing GL1500SE I bought recently.

The pair compliment each other very well for me.

If I was restricted to one bike doing tar roads only, then the big 'Wing would be it.

Doing some dirt roads included in the touring then the Wee would be the choice.

Both bikes are bullet proof reliable and extremely cost effective to own and maintain.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Some years ago, German magazine Motorrad had a big pillion comfort comparo. In their top-10, if I still remember right, were four big trailie bikes: Caponord1000, Varadero1000, Vstrom650&1000.

(And DL650, while naturally won't match the 1000-1200cc options, does two-up highway / long-distance touring better than any other 650cc motorcycle.)
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
FWIW, my wife prefers the pillion on my Roadglide. You won't find any HD touring bikes in the $6K range though. You can find plenty of Ulysses though. I say don't dismiss them so easily, with luggage they can do it all, highway to fire roads, solo or 2-up.

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
tweeder
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
Looking for input on 2up capability of a few of the slightly older beasts, 1st gen caponord, 955i Tigers, and maybe the v-stroms. I like the TDM's but I'd like something with EFI. I plan to avoid bmw's in the future so despite my admiration of the GS's I don't see one in my future. Anything I'm missing that'd be a practical 2up beast, say available under $6k(cheaper the better, not ready to buy cheaper does =sooner though)

Also of note, I'm 5'10" 195lbs, 32" inseam, wifey is about 5'6" and roughly 160lbs. We are both 30yrs old. Not likely to carry a ton of gear(no camping) but do intend to have a full set of bags.

Crazy as the difference is, I'm weighing my options between a beast, and a touring cruiser of some sort. I actually like the road glides, and electra's(as eye candy, sit test is nice too), but I've not ridden any of the cruisers and am not going to spend the money these bring. Something like a rocket iii would be entertaining though and I've seen them setup for touring fairly reasonably, royal star ventures are cheap but carb'd, if I could swing it I'd even consider a used GL1800.
You folks sound very similar to my wife and I, except my wife is 5' and 125 pounds. I have a 2007 DL650, and have a total of about $6k into the bike-front suspension, Ohlins rear shock (amazing), skid plate, engine guards, soft luggage, exhaust, etc. We are very happy with the bike, and I happily row through the gears a little more when riding two up versus what the extra power of the DL1000 would allow me to do.

With the combined mass of you two, I would recommend at least a re-spring of the stock DL shock, if not a RaceTech rear ($500). Makes a big difference when hustling through the corners loaded up.

It has been flawless and cheap to maintain, and doesn't feel like an appliance to me. I have ridden a 1200GS for a week with the wife, and while it was a great bike, I couldn't justify the price for our situation.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
My K4 Wee-strom got high marks on comfort from all pillions (even on some longer trips). One of them mentioned that she preferred it to the Concourse 1400.

For those trips the wee was set-up with panniers and a top box containing our clothes/sleeping bags for the trip. Loaded up like that it was no rocket, but it handled everything without strain.

I have a first generation FZ1 (with some suspension work) now that handles really well with a pillion. They seem to find it comfy, but there might be less room if I had panniers on it.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,896
My wife & I found the Vee to be an excellent 2 up bike, very good passenger ergos and a roomy seat. It has plenty of torque for the extra weight, passing at will is not a problem, even loaded at higher elevation.

We now ride a Stelvio and it's about the same in regards to 2 up riding if you relocate the luggage. In the stock location it's very high and forward which can limit passenger room and complicate boarding. With the luggage relocated it's excellent for 2 up riding.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 300
If you get the Ulysses, look for the XT model as it has lower and stiffer springs compared to the X. It also comes standard with 3 hard bags. It cost about the same as a regular X model, and has more cruiser friendly features (road fenders, taller windshield. etc).
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
That really depends on what type of riding you like to do. I love my Uly, but the thought of a long 2 up trip (600+ miles) terrifies me. The suspension is a little soft IMO for that.
The Uly's suspension is fully adjustable so you can make it as "un-soft" as you want. Neither this guy nor his wife are particularly hefty. I've done 500+ mile days, and my wife and I (who total a bit more than the OP) have done 350+ mile days without a problem.