Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #31
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121

No name for the old girl yet. I'll have to come up with something. In the meantime, leave the guns...take the cannelloni.
Lucky 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,273
When I re-did my T3, one of the most tedious, unlovable tasks I undertook was getting the black paint off of every-fucking-thing that one of the POs improved it with. Did you own my bike at one point? I respect the fact that it's YOUR bike, but blacking out everything seems so wrong on such a classy bike.
Carry on.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #33
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wah, wah (sad trombone)

Can't make everybody happy and life is too short to even try. If it makes you feel better, my blackout comment was in reference to the wheels, not the whole bike. I probably didn't make that clear.

I actually spent a ridiculous amount of time agonizing over the final scheme of the bike. I wanted it to feel like the classy, chromed out old girl that she is, but just a bit darker behind the eyes. A few things are going black against spec, but mostly it's the wheels that will make the difference. Everything that was chrome from the factory will be staying chrome and the chrome tank panels and pinstripes will be brought back to factory look.

I can't speak for tastes, but as far as I'm concerned it's going to be titties in the face when it's all finished up.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #34
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On to wheel building! I must admit, I'd been looking forward to this stage from the day I bought the bike. I've built hundreds (seriously hundreds) of bicycle wheels, but I really didn't know what to expect from the stiffer spoked brethren of the motorized world. Turns out, bicycle wheels have a bit more finesse involved, so I really didn't have much of a problem.

Lacing up (and watching The Watchmen):

Tension and true. I looked high and low for specs on 'how much tension' but only really found recommendations to whack it with a wrench and if it sings, it's tensioned. Easy enough. For bicycle wheel building, there's a tensiometer to tell you where you're at. Not so much here, I guess. Either way, they tightened up nicely and all the hops pulled right out.

The tires went on without TOO much difficulty, although the rear was brand new and fought me a bit. I used a few pieces of garden hose slit length-wise to protect my new powdercoat from the tire irons. Worked like a champ. Then it was time for a little old-school backyard balancing:

Lead/tin solder got them all balanced out:

Perfect! I'm loving the look of the black wheels.

Around this time I got the tank all drained and partially stripped. Alas, the chrome panels had been sanded off to accept paint, so it goes out to chrome with the rest of the pile.

As a side note, this ended up being a pretty terrible day for me. My neighbors contractor didn't clean up after himself the night before so I had a nail in my car tire first thing in the morning. Drag. I jacked up the car and was just pulling out the wheel when the factory jack snapped in half and crushed my hand between the fender and the tire. With no small amount of effort I extricated my hand, but in smashing my hand the fender had a nice big fold and my hand swelled up like an orange. I picked up a proper floor jack from AutoZone, got the wheel out and patched, and got it back to driveable with the intention of filing a claim with Audi. Long story short, they said it was my fault and won't cover the damage. What a crock of shit.

The lesson here is do not, under any circumstances, use the factory jack if you own an Audi. Mine broke in half and collapsed so immediately that I couldn't even get my hand out in time. They're explanation was that I didn't block the tires and it rolled (absolutely NOT what happened), so I got the big GFY from USA corporate. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

On the bright side, I didn't lose my hand and I dropped off parts for chrome. I'll take what I can get, I guess.

Lucky 7 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 11:24 PM
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #35
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152
Holy shit! I hope your hand is okay! Don't take their "go away, go away" as a final answer. When you feel well enough, document the jack failure and at least send it to NHTSA. However, if you have a sensationalizing TV station in the area and they publicize it, that will get you some attention and compensation. I hope you have a good doc and PT, and your hand heals quickly and correctly!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #36
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 994
Damn Murphy!

Incomprehensible that a company that can choose between an apology and proper retribution or a hefty settlement after a costly and lengthy procedure, stubbornly will opt for the poorer solution.

Anyway, take care of that hand. You're making great karma with the build. Love the wheels.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #37
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 185
What make and size of tyres do you have fitted there mate?
Rgds,
D.
'81 MZ 250/1 '91 Jawa 638
'90 Moto Guzzi 1000S
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I had similar thoughts about continuing the fight, but haven't yet decided on a course of action. I talked to a few lawyers and none of them would take the case since my hand wasn't broken. Without serious injury, apparently it just isn't worth the money. Since Audi knew it wasn't broken, I'm sure they weren't concerned about lawsuit. I was still surprised how poorly they handled it, though.

Don't know, mostly I just got tired of dealing with it. That sort of anger starts to weigh on me. I was thinking of writing in to Car & Driver or something comparable and seeing if they'd be interested in doing a story on it. Seems like something they could have fun with...testing jacks to failure and rating them. If nothing else, it could result in some bad publicity for Audi. We'll see.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #39
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebeef View Post
What make and size of tyres do you have fitted there mate?
Rgds,
D.

They are Shinko 230 Tour Masters in a 120/90 - 18. I'm happy with the way they look and they're only like $140 for a set. We'll see how they grip when I put a knee down.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #40
yankeeone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
When I was a kid I was changing the tire on a big compressor the was used in dock building, had the thing up on the jack, put my hand on the top of the tire, old timer yelled at me "never put your hands between the wheel and the fender, what if the jack fails or tips" Ill be damned if the thing didnt tip in the sand. Never forgot it.
yankeeone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #41
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's good advice! Somehow that one never got imparted to me. Nobody in my family was very mechanical. I am, but most of it had to be self taught. I guess that's one that I learned the hard way.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #42
yankeeone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
nice build by the way!
yankeeone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,355
..I think I can FEEL the irony in "self taught".... good on ya

.........and doing a fantastic job for one that is self taught..... I love your solder tire balancers... tres elegante!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #44
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 185
Man, I love the style of those shinkos. Hope they're available in the UK.
'81 MZ 250/1 '91 Jawa 638
'90 Moto Guzzi 1000S
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #45
Roach Carver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I like the tires on the bike too.