Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,199
Holy shit! I hope your hand is okay! Don't take their "go away, go away" as a final answer. When you feel well enough, document the jack failure and at least send it to NHTSA. However, if you have a sensationalizing TV station in the area and they publicize it, that will get you some attention and compensation. I hope you have a good doc and PT, and your hand heals quickly and correctly!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #32
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
Damn Murphy!

Incomprehensible that a company that can choose between an apology and proper retribution or a hefty settlement after a costly and lengthy procedure, stubbornly will opt for the poorer solution.

Anyway, take care of that hand. You're making great karma with the build. Love the wheels.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 247
What make and size of tyres do you have fitted there mate?
Rgds,
D.
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #34
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Yeah, I had similar thoughts about continuing the fight, but haven't yet decided on a course of action. I talked to a few lawyers and none of them would take the case since my hand wasn't broken. Without serious injury, apparently it just isn't worth the money. Since Audi knew it wasn't broken, I'm sure they weren't concerned about lawsuit. I was still surprised how poorly they handled it, though.

Don't know, mostly I just got tired of dealing with it. That sort of anger starts to weigh on me. I was thinking of writing in to Car & Driver or something comparable and seeing if they'd be interested in doing a story on it. Seems like something they could have fun with...testing jacks to failure and rating them. If nothing else, it could result in some bad publicity for Audi. We'll see.
Lucky 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #35
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebeef View Post
What make and size of tyres do you have fitted there mate?
Rgds,
D.

They are Shinko 230 Tour Masters in a 120/90 - 18. I'm happy with the way they look and they're only like $140 for a set. We'll see how they grip when I put a knee down.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #36
yankeeone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
When I was a kid I was changing the tire on a big compressor the was used in dock building, had the thing up on the jack, put my hand on the top of the tire, old timer yelled at me "never put your hands between the wheel and the fender, what if the jack fails or tips" Ill be damned if the thing didnt tip in the sand. Never forgot it.
yankeeone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #37
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's good advice! Somehow that one never got imparted to me. Nobody in my family was very mechanical. I am, but most of it had to be self taught. I guess that's one that I learned the hard way.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #38
yankeeone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
nice build by the way!
yankeeone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #39
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,747
..I think I can FEEL the irony in "self taught".... good on ya

.........and doing a fantastic job for one that is self taught..... I love your solder tire balancers... tres elegante!

Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
davebeef
Buffoon

Oddometer: 247
Man, I love the style of those shinkos. Hope they're available in the UK.
davebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #41
Roach Carver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I like the tires on the bike too.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #42
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm still waiting for chrome to come back before I can send my tin out to paint, but in the meantime I busied myself with some other cleanup items. I'm still not quite ready to get my fingers into the engine. In good time, in good time...

The starter was in bad need of cleaning and fresh paint. It seemed to work just fine, but it wasn't looking pretty.

I love learning how all this stuff works! The mysteries begin to unravel for me as I see the functions behind the curtain. The starter solenoid engages the drive wheel, gets to the bottom of it's stroke and fires a line to the actual starter motor to start cranking. Simple and logical, but new to me.

A detailed cleaning, fresh paint, and new brushes has it looking much better.

I bench tested the solenoid and the whole unit and everything seems to be working as it's supposed to. I have my suspicions about the solenoid being properly spaced (those little cardboard shims are pretty old), but for now I'll call it done. I may come back to it later if I don't feel like it's meshing well prior to cranking.

As a funny side note, Jodie (my wife) helped me bench test the solenoid due to my lack of three hands. I wasn't sure which leads or contact points would make it fire, so I was just poking around when WHACK!!! down it went. I was unprepared for the power with which that thing retracts and it scared the crap out of Jodie. After some laughing, we tested it again knowing what to expect. Works well!

Some more polishing work. The generator belt cover was quite nasty.

Wire wheel, then 250 grit, then 400 grit, then denim wheel. Much better!

photo IMG_0291_zps4b361c7c.jpg

Now that I had some final finish parts laying around, old rugs and blankets became necessary implements of parts protection. Ever my companion, Syri had other ideas for proper usage of the rugs.

In the photo above, I had just reinstalled the headbadge and was prepping for fork install. I love those little screw rivets used on the badge, by the way. I've never seen them before but they work great.

Reassembly of the fork legs is easy, but when it came time to install the legs into the crowns, I was scratching my head. A quick search online told me that there's a special tool to pull the stanchions up into place. Nonsense, I say! Special tools are for quitters!

This is my favorite improvised tool to date, made even better by the fact that it was comprised of parts already in the garage.

One (1) rear quick-release bicycle skewer and one (1) toggle bolt drywall anchor join forces to become the perfect stanchion puller:

The toggle bolt inserts easily and springs against the threads with an almost unbreakable force. In fact, once the fork leg was in place, it took no small amount of jiggering with a screwdriver to extract the little SOB. The special tool looks much longer than my homebrew tool, so I was worried the length wouldn't be enough, but there too it worked fine.

I love it when a plan comes together:

With this rash of assembly projects, the burden on my cheapo shelf is lifted a bit.

Now I just need to focus on getting the bench fully cleared and ready for the engine tear down. Re-assembly of the rear drive and a few other minor things and it'll be time to get into that monster.

What? Scared? That's stupid! Why would I be scared of it? I'll be awesome at engine stuff. You'll see. And then you'll be...stupider...for sayin' stuff...

Okay, I'm a little scared.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #43
Billedale
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Loving the project! Keep it coming!
Billedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #44
Giddy Up
Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer: 55
Ride the snake, baby

There is only one way to get this bike done before the snow flies: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcz...-the-snake_fun

So funny.

The build is looking great. Let me know when I can come back over and love up your Italian twin.
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #45
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Johnny! Glad you could join in. I'm going to try to get the build finished without choking down handfuls of crystal meth, but we'll see if I make it. What's the worst that can happen? I lose 159 pounds in two days and look fantastic?

A little update on the project:

I'm hoping to have chrome back tomorrow. With that done I can start getting my liquid painter figured out. If anybody has suggestions, I'll take 'em.

I've been buried with drawings for a palace in Qatar (my gas money is finally finding its way back home), but later this week I ought to be able to get the rear drive back together and start on the engine.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to follow the build and I'll post up more updates when I have them.