Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #61
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Funny you ask. Yesterday the neighbor asked me if we'd be willing to take her for a month while they crash at a friend's house prior to leaving for Hawaii. I said sure, and then suggested that it might be easier for everyone if it just became a permanent situation. He offered that it may well become that, but they had to figure things out first.

I suspect the month of babysitting is just a way for them to see how willing we are to take the dog and would be surprised if they actually ended up wanting her back. We shall see.
Lucky 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #62
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/

These guys tell how to do it, and why your doing it with pictures.
The motor is a 270d. V Twin.
You should get that broken part fixed.

Thanks for the link, good stuff in there. I'd seen the engine strip how-to, but the rest of it was new. Looks like I have some reading to do on valves and cams. So far I've read the service manual more times than I can count, studied Pete Roper's photo strip/rebuild, read everything I could at thisoldtractor, and generally tried to immerse myself in engine know-how.

Helpful certainly, but the real test is in the actual job. Obviously I'm hoping that I don't have to replace too much in there, but that's why I'm doing it, right? Time will tell. I'll get it apart and then I can start in on the tolerances and see what needs replacing. I guess it's not a time to start getting shy with my wallet hand.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #63
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Great Thread

I'm always envious of guys that have the patience and talent to do a project like this. I can't wait to see the end result and I'm loving the journey.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #64
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, thanks for the optimism!

I've read your build thread, though, so I know where you're coming from. I'm working on the hope that occasionally god smiles on those too stupid to know better. Maybe, just maybe, I won't find a horror show in there.

Crossing fingers....now.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #65
Giddy Up
Pedal, Damn IT!

Oddometer: 55
Nice work, man.

You've entered whole new world.

Glad about the dog.
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #66
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

Oddometer: 343
Great thread, thanks for sharing it all...
Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #67
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
It's easier to do it once, than do it twice...
Tell me what it's like to do it once, OR twice!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #68
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 513
Bicycle Content

've built hundreds (seriously hundreds) of bicycle wheels, but I really didn't know what to expect from the stiffer spoked brethren of the motorized world. Turns out, bicycle wheels have a bit more finesse involved, so I really didn't have much of a problem.

Tension and true. I looked high and low for specs on 'how much tension' but only really found recommendations to whack it with a wrench and if it sings, it's tensioned. Easy enough. For bicycle wheel building, there's a tensiometer to tell you where you're at. Not so much here, I guess. Either way, they tightened up nicely and all the hops pulled right out.

I see the Park torque wrench, tell about the bicycle, Niner tube?

I've built 4 32 spoke wheels for my bicycle, bought 'The Book' by Jobst.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #69
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocicletta View Post
I see the Park torque wrench, tell about the bicycle, Niner tube?

I've built 4 32 spoke wheels for my bicycle, bought 'The Book' by Jobst.

I wondered if anybody would notice my Niner brand breaker bar. I cut it out of a warrantee frame that came through the shop. Throwing it away seemed like a waste of nice Reynolds tubing. I use it constantly and it makes me smile every time.

Nice work on the home wheel builds, a tip of the hat to you. I've perused The Book and it seems like a fine source of info. I originally learned wheel building at home with the help of Sheldon Brown's webpage. Sadly Sheldon passed away, but his webpage is still maintained by his old bike shop. Once I became an occasional mechanic, I built a lot more wheels and figured out a few tricks to speed up the process, but generally I still do it exactly as Sheldon wrote it out.

I was reflecting a bit on Shop Class As Soul Craft with my friend Doug today and it got us talking about the desire to tackle these sorts of hair-brained projects ourselves while so many seem perfectly happy to hire it out (or avoid it entirely). He mentioned that his curiosity was the driving factor behind his recreational projects. I decided that for me its a certain bullheaded determination that moves me forward. Either way, we both find ourselves working odd hours on odd projects purely because we want to...despite the giant pain in the ass of it all. Maybe its a hunt for knowledge or maybe its just a way to occupy idle hands, but in the end i think the compulsion is a rewarding one. After some of the looks I get from people who obviously think I'm crazy to tread these waters, I love knowing that there are other guys out there learning how to do cool shit in their garages.

...Or maybe I've just been drinking and pontificating with my friends too much this weekend...
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #70
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,490
Shop Class as Soul Craft is an amazing book. I wish that it had been around when I was in my teens. I have recommended it or given copies of it to at least a dozen people, and they've all come back with the same impression. The book is full of ideas and values that I share, but somehow hearing it from the mouth of some guy with a PhD gives it a little more weight. Very validating.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #71
Billedale
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Until you've checked everything, something could go wrong.
I agree... Just expect everything you didn't check to give up on you at a later date --> Been there :-)

It's an old bike that's obviously seen some abuse and poor repairs, it's like a shelter dog, it needs lots of love to understand it can give some back.

Glad to hear about your project, though it was dead for some time and it had me worried :(. Keep going, loving it!

Billedale screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 07:23 AM
Billedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #72
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, that's why I'm servicing it after all. My intention is to touch (and inspect) every piece on the bike. I'd really like to avoid having broken stuff immediately after rebuild. Although, if that happens it'll probably be because I screwed up rather that the part failed at a bad time.

And don't worry, I don't know how to quit once I get started. Mostly it's just that my business is such that I'm either incredibly busy or almost completely unencumbered. I just came off a month of late nights and have a few free days ahead of me, so more engine stripping will follow shortly. I'm hoping to be riding the old gal by spring. :)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #73
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #74
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,490
^Hahahaha
Old 10-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #75