Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #121
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 612
If the headpipes are chromed steel, they're likely 37mm. Stainless, they're probably 38mm . Stainless clamps are the way to go, about the same price as chromed steel and will look nicer much longer.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #122
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Thanks for the tip, Charlie. Slashbacks are on their way.

If anybody wants a set of the original tapered mufflers (or a complete exhaust w/ crossover) let me know. The mufflers are in decent shape under the crumby paint and the headpipes are rusty but salvageable. I think I'll put it all up on ebay eventually, but I'd be happy to have it land with an inmate first.

Looks like I'll be delaying the parts order until after christmas, but in the meantime I'll get the heads cleaned up and ready to go. I talked to a guy that said he'd take a look at them...even though he didn't sound too thrilled. So far it's been a rough go finding a shop that does head work.
Lucky 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #123
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 7 View Post
Thanks for the tip, Charlie. Slashbacks are on their way.

If anybody wants a set of the original tapered mufflers (or a complete exhaust w/ crossover) let me know. The mufflers are in decent shape under the crumby paint and the headpipes are rusty but salvageable. I think I'll put it all up on ebay eventually, but I'd be happy to have it land with an inmate first.

Looks like I'll be delaying the parts order until after christmas, but in the meantime I'll get the heads cleaned up and ready to go. I talked to a guy that said he'd take a look at them...even though he didn't sound too thrilled. So far it's been a rough go finding a shop that does head work.
PM sent.
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #124
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After much searching, I finally landed on a machine shop in town that I think will do the job well. Ridge Reamers in Arvada. $100 to blast the heads and re-cut the seats and valves. Seems reasonable to me. He's going to check tolerances, but he didn't think new guides will be necessary, which strengthens my theory that this engine has been rebuilt in the last 20 years.

They can also do crank balancing, so that'll be convenient when the new pistons come in. I'll reserve final judgement until I see the finished heads, but I left thinking that I'm in good hands.

(warning: aimless musing ahead)

All this searching for various vendors has me thinking lately. I wouldn't have thought twice about it prior to my build, but this process has really made me realize how things have changed. I was amazed to learn that Denver Bumper is the ONLY chrome shop in town. And 20 phone calls just to find a head shop? That's crazy...but I guess it makes sense. Modern engines (and their users) seem to have evolved away from the gearhead ethos.

In the eighties and before, more horsepower meant boring the block, porting the heads, custom cams...engine stuff. Now you can do all that with an intake, exhaust, and re-flash on the ECU. Business probably just dried up for a lot of these shops. For my own sake, I'm really glad there are still a few around, but the hunt to find them has been eye opening. It's made me realize that replacement, not repair, is the modern approach.

Of course, none of that is meant to be taken as crotchety old me sitting in a rocking chair waxing poetic about the good old days. Simply an observation; one that wouldn't have occurred to me before. Generally speaking, I'm a big fan of modern technology. I'll never forget when I got my first fuel injected bike. "You mean I can just jump on and ride it without fucking around with the choke for 10 minutes? Awesome!"

That said, I've found it nigh impossible to work on a 40 year old motorcycle and not get to pondering all that has changed in that time. It's like some sort of cultural anthropology project. This bike rolled off the factory floor to a very different world. I love thinking about that.

So, here's a tip of the hat to Dirty Harry, Richard Nixon, and the Ford Pinto. Without you, 1972 wouldn't be the same.

(end of aimless musing)
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #125
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,139
Well said seven. Personally, I don't mind fiddling with a choke for 10 minutes, but it helps that I'm semi-retired and in a position where I can refuse to be in a hurry.

Despite the bad press about the gas tank thing, Pintos were a pretty good car for the day. Especially if you put a 289 in them.
KTM 640 ADV - Guzzi Centauro - Husky TE510 - other stuff
...sweet dreams and fine machines in pieces on the ground...
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #126
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There's no app for that!

Old 12-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #127
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,567
Man, I love poetry in prose.....

Old 12-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #128
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I guess it's been a lifelong love affair...

My mom found this photo randomly and sent it to me recently. On the back is written neatly:

Spring 1983
Gavin
Age 4

For the record, that crushed velvet polo is still one of the best shirts I've ever owned.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #129
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
^Then-and-now picture opportunity.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #130
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Holy cow! That's really random...same color and everything. Thanks for posting the pic, I've been meaning to look up the bike. As far as I know, it's the first one I ever sat on. How long have you had it?
Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #131
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^Then-and-now picture opportunity.
Now I just need to find a purple 3/4 lid and a crushed velvet shirt that fits.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #132
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The head shop got back to me with their findings on the valves. Sounds like there's a bit of extra play in the guides, so they're recommending replacement. The guides haven't been pulled yet, but the guy at the shop recommended going with the .10 oversized guides rather than the stockers.

Any thoughts on this? I don't want to needlessly upsize the guide sleeve in the head, but seems like it can't really hurt anything. I'm probably going that direction, but just thought I'd ask for a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #133
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,364
I wouldn't want to oversize them either. There is a method of restoring existing valve guides where the old one is bored out, and a new sleeve is fitted into the old valve guide. It does have a half-assed air about it, but it is cheaper and less work, and well accepted as a solid repair. I'm sure there's a name for the process, but I can't remember it. Someone here will know what I'm talking about and give it its proper name.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #134
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Guides can be relined (K-Liner) or also knurled. Can't tell you which process would be do able on a Guzzi though.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #135
Lucky 7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I actually asked the guy about K-liners when I dropped them off. He doesn't like to use them and would rather just do new guides. I'm fine with the guides, I just felt a little reluctance about the oversize. Who knew there would be so many decisions...