User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Faceplant Question....

**************************JUST SKIP THIS TRAIN WRECK AND GO RIGHT TO THE LAST PAGE AND THE LAST POST I MADE********************************

I'm new and I know it...shoot my MSF class is next week I'm so green.

Anyway...I'm cruising down the freeway in my VW bus and I see these people on motorcycles cutting off cars, "sloluming(sp)" in the lane, zipping in and out of cars (and my) buffer zones (a VW bus needs a good bit more to stop than your average Focus), doing wheelies, and other bonker crap....IN TRUE SOCAL RUSH HOUR.

My question is....

If you are riding something that has very little between you and the 60mph ground below you..even what is between you won't save you when the 18 wheeler you cut off crushes your abdomen....why would you do things and act in ways you would never do in the security of a car?

I mean....drivers don't take the same chances with their cars as riders do with their bikes.

I look at the whole situation as knowing that many mistakes I would make will likely end up in death or serious injury...why should I increase those chances by doing silly things when I should be doing everything in my power to limit the ways to die.

Why pass on the right when a driver can/will make a right turn into you...and be fully within their driving rights to do so....you wouldn't try to squeeze a car there or pass like that in a car. So many people complain "stupid driver didn't see me." Well yeah...you're showing up in a place where you shouldn't be. Come on.

This is just an example of the sillyness I see riders doing.

ME? When I get my endorsement...I plan on being very professional and safe and not put myself in any more danger than I have to after stepping onto a bike.

I just don't get it. And its not a jealousy thing...its a common sense thing.

Sniperx screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 09:30 AM
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
I'm new and I know it...shoot my MSF class is next week I'm so green.

Anyway...I'm cruising down the freeway in my VW bus and I see these people on motorcycles cutting off cars, "sloluming(sp)" in the lane, zipping in and out of cars (and my) buffer zones (a VW bus needs a good bit more to stop than your average Focus), doing wheelies, and other bonker crap....IN TRUE SOCAL RUSH HOUR.

My question is....

If you are riding something that has very little between you and the 60mph ground below you..even what is between you won't save you when the 18 wheeler you cut off crushes your abdomen....why would you do things and act in ways you would never do in the security of a car?

I mean....drivers don't take the same chances with their cars as riders do with their bikes.

I look at the whole situation as knowing that many mistakes I would make will likely end up in death or serious injury...why should I increase those chances by doing silly things when I should be doing everything in my power to limit the ways to die.

Why pass on the right when a driver can/will make a right turn into you...and be fully within their driving rights to do so....you wouldn't try to squeeze a car there or pass like that in a car. So many people complain "stupid driver didn't see me." Well yeah...you're showing up in a place where you shouldn't be. Come on.

This is just an example of the sillyness I see riders doing.

ME? When I get my endorsement...I plan on being very professional and safe and not put myself in any more danger than I have to after stepping onto a bike.

I just don't get it. And its not a jealousy thing...its a common sense thing.
the reason is because you can, lol

but karma catches up with most people.

or fate.

cheers.

ps always wear all ur protection. attgat, all the gear all the time.
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Seriously though...its almost like they don't care. THe people I see going easy are the BMW riders (probably higher buy-in makes for an older/respectful owner) and newer riders on cruiser-ish bikes. The nozzles on the sport bikes with Tshirts flying up their back and fancy gloves are the ones I'm talking about.

Not trolling here...just trying to get some perspective here.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

When I was in college, I rode a bike in downtown San Francisco. It was my daily transportation. I rode with a helmet and earphones in (pushing it) and I always either kept in view of the car, was in my space (bicycle lane), or was where the law expected me to be. That being said, I had 2 accidents. One was a 0mph sideswipe...wrecked my pants...I kicked in the BMW's door as I pedaled on down the road through gridlock. The other...a driver turning right against a red in cross traffic (legal) clipped my rear wheel. I had the green, bike lane and lights (night)...he didn't look until I just about reached his hood. Wrecked parts, body was fine.

My point is...I rode in some hairy conditions, but I didn't take unnecessary risks. I did this daily for 2 years.

In my mind...riding a motorcycle is a calculated risk...it is in and of itself a potentially dangerous activity. Your bike's engine siezes (poor maintenance) and you fall off in traffic...you're dog food. Your cars tranmission blows you get rear ended...but probably walk away. So why would you be inclined to continue piling the risk on by not wearing gear, taking chances in traffic, being silly on populated streets, or riding like a butthole?

My plan when I'm finally riding...ride like everything has the potential to kill me and I should do everything in my power to stack the deck in my favor (oil slick stories scare me). It may sound a little paranoid and I'm sure the worry wart will go down after a while....but I want to maintain that understanding of what I do on a motorcycle affects whether I go home or to the ER. Why can't others do the same...it makes a better ride for everyone...nothing spooks a driver more than a stinkin' harley blippin' its throttle while you're cruising down the road in your VW with your favorite music on the radio.

I dunno...I'm running scatter brained on this thread now........
Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
When I was in college, I rode a bike in downtown San Francisco. It was my daily transportation. I rode with a helmet and earphones in (pushing it) and I always either kept in view of the car, was in my space (bicycle lane), or was where the law expected me to be. That being said, I had 2 accidents. One was a 0mph sideswipe...wrecked my pants...I kicked in the BMW's door as I pedaled on down the road through gridlock. The other...a driver turning right against a red in cross traffic (legal) clipped my rear wheel. I had the green, bike lane and lights (night)...he didn't look until I just about reached his hood. Wrecked parts, body was fine.

My point is...I rode in some hairy conditions, but I didn't take unnecessary risks. I did this daily for 2 years.

In my mind...riding a motorcycle is a calculated risk...it is in and of itself a potentially dangerous activity. Your bike's engine siezes (poor maintenance) and you fall off in traffic...you're dog food. Your cars tranmission blows you get rear ended...but probably walk away. So why would you be inclined to continue piling the risk on by not wearing gear, taking chances in traffic, being silly on populated streets, or riding like a butthole?

My plan when I'm finally riding...ride like everything has the potential to kill me and I should do everything in my power to stack the deck in my favor (oil slick stories scare me). It may sound a little paranoid and I'm sure the worry wart will go down after a while....but I want to maintain that understanding of what I do on a motorcycle affects whether I go home or to the ER. Why can't others do the same...it makes a better ride for everyone...nothing spooks a driver more than a stinkin' harley blippin' its throttle while you're cruising down the road in your VW with your favorite music on the radio.

I dunno...I'm running scatter brained on this thread now........
thats cool,but dont expect every one to be like you.Some people base jump,extreme ski,etc.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess my reply to that would be...don't bitch and say "stupid cager" when your buddy gets flattened doing a wheelie on the freeway.

Again...calculated risks...doing what you can to make sure you get home in one piece....
Old 08-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,942
You wait, I know you say the correct things now but 2 years from now when ya have some idea of what your bikes capable of doing you'll do things on it that are questionable.

It's part of the fun, I don't mean being a Squid on the interstate but you will see opportunities that are there when your riding a bike that aren't there in a car.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
2MuchFun
aka CrazyJ

Oddometer: 49
Good policy

Remember that the only thing you have any control over is you.

Ride with the assumption that everyone out there is trying to kill you.

Do those two things & you'll be fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 828
Just out of curiousity, what kind of Harley Davison are you gonna buy ?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,030
Driving a bus is a calculated risk! I know the planning thing, my bunny isn't much better.

Those squids are feeling it. Don't be surprised if when you get on a bike, you feel it, too. There are days that I ride a little bit close to the edge in traffic, no wheelies or such, but closer than perfectly safe.

Finding that edge and being able to explore it is why we ride.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got my GS all lined up thank you very much.

I've been the too fast super car route. I've driven at 130mph through a 3 mile tunnel in the mountains. I found speed wasn't what I was looking for. Going to out of the way places was so I went 4x4 diesels. I am sure I will take some risks such as lane splitting or the occasional yahoo moment but not wrecking is more important than squeezing by a couple cars.

Driving the car I do you get to observe drivers a lot. People race around and pass you and weave through traffic like it's the end of the world. Only to find themselves right next to me At the next light and I was going the speed limit. Why? To get 1 car length? Burn fuel? Wave their balls around? All it did was put themselves and other at risk.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yes driving a bus is a risk. However, I drive well within its limits. Knowing your knees are the crumple zone is very sobering. Being a camper the back right half of the car is a blind spot. I'm well aware of that vehicle. However...I have done things to improve my chances like new/upgraded brakes, seat belts, etc. and I drive at a speed and distance knowing that I could be seriously damaged if I rear end someone at speed.

I guess I'm trying to say this. Being a Vw driver in SoCal has afforded me many opportunities to yell in my car "stupid driver/rider" and I will do my best to remember those instances and not put myself in them.

Another example. A guy on his cruiser tries to pass me on the right, during a prtected left turn, onto a heavily parked major street. All to get around me and end up at the limit line in front of me at the next light. I told him he needs to be more aware of his situation and that I'm totally blind on that side (politely). He gave me the finger. Any one of his poor decisions could have splattered him...rather than learn from My notes...he gave me the f-u. Situationl awareness is something you have to earn I guess.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 828
Sounds like you got it all figured out. Now you just need to get a bike, a license, and ride a few thousand miles.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Look at it like this.

Take a look at the statistics, bikes are horribly dangerous.

Think about the behaviour of the riders you are complaining about, amazed the stats are that good frankly .

O.K. motorcycling *IS* dangerous, but provided you don't do the really stupid things the odds aren't as bad as the stats suggest.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Look at it like this.

Take a look at the statistics, bikes are horribly dangerous.

Think about the behaviour of the riders you are complaining about, amazed the stats are that good frankly .

O.K. motorcycling *IS* dangerous, but provided you don't do the really stupid things the odds aren't as bad as the stats suggest.

Pete
The heavy metal thread had me a little spooked in that regard.

"Sarcasm is the retort of a weak mind.". Don't need an iron butt to know how not to be an idiot...it's something you're born with.