User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
jimhaleyscomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Stacking the odds in your favor

If you really want to stack the odds in your favor start with with a 250. Develop a riding strategy that keeps you out of trouble. Read proficient motorcycling and all the other rider safety books.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Thanks for that. Aside from the bike selection...I will give that some good thought.
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Those squids are feeling it. Don't be surprised if when you get on a bike, you feel it, too. There are days that I ride a little bit close to the edge in traffic, no wheelies or such, but closer than perfectly safe.

Finding that edge and being able to explore it is why we ride.

I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
jimhaleyscomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Bike selection

I am not saying one has to stay with a 250. Just that starting on a 250 allows you to make mistakes without costing a ton of money and / or pain like a heavier bike often does.

Really, a used 250 can be cheap even if only used for a year or two and then sold. Actually much less than dropping that big bike once and paying for plastics, medical bills, and time off work.

If you get a bigger bike and it does start to go down just get out of the way instead of trying to save it. I think we see a lot of the heavy metal users from folks trying to catch a big bike or the big bike catches them.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #20
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,055
A 250 has other rewards, too.

Some of us buy 250s as toys to go with our "regular" bikes. Why? Because they accerate like light, they flick around everything with no effort, they are tiny enough to split the tightest gaps, and they reinforce every good habit there is about riding technique.

I :heart: my GS like nothing else. Not a whole lot can do what it does (when it is running lol). But that CBR250R is a hoot and makes me giggle like a little girl.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #21
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
I'm new and I know it...shoot my MSF class is next week I'm so green.

Anyway...I'm cruising down the freeway in my VW bus and I see these people on motorcycles cutting off cars, "sloluming(sp)" in the lane, zipping in and out of cars (and my) buffer zones (a VW bus needs a good bit more to stop than your average Focus), doing wheelies, and other bonker crap....IN TRUE SOCAL RUSH HOUR.

My question is....

If you are riding something that has very little between you and the 60mph ground below you..even what is between you won't save you when the 18 wheeler you cut off crushes your abdomen....why would you do things and act in ways you would never do in the security of a car?

I mean....drivers don't take the same chances with their cars as riders do with their bikes.

I look at the whole situation as knowing that many mistakes I would make will likely end up in death or serious injury...why should I increase those chances by doing silly things when I should be doing everything in my power to limit the ways to die.

Why pass on the right when a driver can/will make a right turn into you...and be fully within their driving rights to do so....you wouldn't try to squeeze a car there or pass like that in a car. So many people complain "stupid driver didn't see me." Well yeah...you're showing up in a place where you shouldn't be. Come on.

This is just an example of the sillyness I see riders doing.

ME? When I get my endorsement...I plan on being very professional and safe and not put myself in any more danger than I have to after stepping onto a bike.

I just don't get it. And its not a jealousy thing...its a common sense thing.
Because forethought is rarely developed in the most of the human species and most never realize that Newton's laws apply equally to one's personal physics as to the movement of galaxies and planets until they experience it firsthand....and even then, if they survive it rarely retain the lesson.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #22
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 124
Wicked

So I ride a GS... Of course I'm careful obviously because at 60 I've never been in a serious accident. I've been bumped into twice from behind, that's it. BUT if you see me riding, you'll probably say this guy has totally lost it.
There is a great difference in perception when you're in a car and drive vs on a cycle and ride, about what's going on.
An eon ago when I started riding I thought 40 m/hr was quite fast...
And riding motorcycles is not primarily about top speed, it's about speed in the curvies.

So lets evaluate your opinion after you learned to ride the machine, and it takes a couple of years of intense riding to master the art, so in 2-3 years think about this
Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #23
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
oxymorons?

euphoria - reason
power - restraint
greed - denial
impulse - thought

then there's:

flow - stop
rhythm - spastic
momentum - brake
dynamic - idle

Balance speed, efficiency, traction, safety, and all the above etc. and you'll do fine. But if you think too much while riding a motorcycle you will be in grave danger.
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
I'm new and I know it...shoot my MSF class is next week I'm so green.

Anyway...I'm cruising down the freeway in my VW bus and I see these people on motorcycles cutting off cars, "sloluming(sp)" in the lane, zipping in and out of cars (and my) buffer zones (a VW bus needs a good bit more to stop than your average Focus), doing wheelies, and other bonker crap....IN TRUE SOCAL RUSH HOUR.

My question is....

If you are riding something that has very little between you and the 60mph ground below you..even what is between you won't save you when the 18 wheeler you cut off crushes your abdomen....why would you do things and act in ways you would never do in the security of a car?

I mean....drivers don't take the same chances with their cars as riders do with their bikes.

I look at the whole situation as knowing that many mistakes I would make will likely end up in death or serious injury...why should I increase those chances by doing silly things when I should be doing everything in my power to limit the ways to die.

Why pass on the right when a driver can/will make a right turn into you...and be fully within their driving rights to do so....you wouldn't try to squeeze a car there or pass like that in a car. So many people complain "stupid driver didn't see me." Well yeah...you're showing up in a place where you shouldn't be. Come on.

This is just an example of the sillyness I see riders doing.

ME? When I get my endorsement...I plan on being very professional and safe and not put myself in any more danger than I have to after stepping onto a bike.

I just don't get it. And its not a jealousy thing...its a common sense thing.
"Slaloming" is the spelling you were looking for.

Passing in the right lane is a normal thing in a society that won't get out of the left passing lane when they aren't actively passing somebody. It's also a normal thing in a society that drives on the left.

Do you live somewhere that allows legal lane-splitting?

Have you tried better mirrors and/or blindspot mirrors on the V-Dub camper? They can make a big difference on a moto. Stock mirrors often suck.

Many people are self-centered idiots who won't accept any personal responsibility. The people who flick you off, after you point out how close they are to getting themselves killed by doing something illegal and highly risky, are a prime example of this.

Stay aware any time you're on a bike, keeping your head in the ride. If you're on a bike and you realize that your head isn't in the ride, it's time to take a break until your head IS in the ride. Realize that any time you get on a bike, you are getting into a risky endeavor. If you find yourself forgetting that, and/or start getting careless about it, it's time to get re-focused. Read some more Faceplant. Read some more books/articles. Take another/refresher rider course.

You can be MUCH safer on a moto than the statistics would imply. Look at how wild many people ride. Look at how unaware many people ride. Look at how unprotected many people ride. Look at how IMPAIRED many people ride. This is not to say that you can eliminate all risk, but you can pare the risk down considerably by being smart and vigilant about riding.

I'm not the safest rider on the planet, but even I have people making snarky comments about my staying in gear at lights, my pointing the bike between the cars in front of me at lights, my hi-viz jacket/shirt, my chest/back armor, my offroad boots, my armored pants, the reflectors on my bike/gear, and the red/amber LEDs I've added to my bikes. I don't really even have close calls anymore while riding, unless somebody is purposely fucking with me, but 10" of suspension and some ground clearance on a narrow bike can usually lose most cages pretty quick around here.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
I've said this to my dog before when I caught him licking his balls, but he disagreed.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #26
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX View Post
I've said this to my dog before when I caught him licking his balls, but he disagreed.
Considering how often the average domestic canine is allowed to mount...I don't blame them...I'm married (no problem there...just a fun punchline)
Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
"Slaloming" is the spelling you were looking for.

Passing in the right lane is a normal thing in a society that won't get out of the left passing lane when they aren't actively passing somebody. It's also a normal thing in a society that drives on the left.

Do you live somewhere that allows legal lane-splitting?

Have you tried better mirrors and/or blindspot mirrors on the V-Dub camper? They can make a big difference on a moto. Stock mirrors often suck.

Many people are self-centered idiots who won't accept any personal responsibility. The people who flick you off, after you point out how close they are to getting themselves killed by doing something illegal and highly risky, are a prime example of this.

Stay aware any time you're on a bike, keeping your head in the ride. If you're on a bike and you realize that your head isn't in the ride, it's time to take a break until your head IS in the ride. Realize that any time you get on a bike, you are getting into a risky endeavor. If you find yourself forgetting that, and/or start getting careless about it, it's time to get re-focused. Read some more Faceplant. Read some more books/articles. Take another/refresher rider course.

You can be MUCH safer on a moto than the statistics would imply. Look at how wild many people ride. Look at how unaware many people ride. Look at how unprotected many people ride. Look at how IMPAIRED many people ride. This is not to say that you can eliminate all risk, but you can pare the risk down considerably by being smart and vigilant about riding.

I'm not the safest rider on the planet, but even I have people making snarky comments about my staying in gear at lights, my pointing the bike between the cars in front of me at lights, my hi-viz jacket/shirt, my chest/back armor, my offroad boots, my armored pants, the reflectors on my bike/gear, and the red/amber LEDs I've added to my bikes. I don't really even have close calls anymore while riding, unless somebody is purposely fucking with me, but 10" of suspension and some ground clearance on a narrow bike can usually lose most cages pretty quick around here.
Passing on right. This is normally acceptable and the instance you are reffering to is most likely a 2 lane road. I'm talking in the right lane and the joker squeezing between parked cars and me simply to pass. If I had a problem or a parked car opened a door...the guy would be toast. Not to mention, if I were riding I would take into consideration the vehicle I was a around...vintage, delivery van (no windows), semi, or anything and adjust my riding plan (or strategy as I'm learning) accordingly. Passing in a lane whether right or left on any highway 2 lanes or bigger is fine and expected. Passing on the left on a 1-1 highway is touchy but well within anyones abilities and expected by most drivers. Passing on the right in this case is unacceptable and unexpected by others on the road.

Yes. And its acceptable and I plan to do it safely and when appropriate. Not at 40-50mph in <30mph bumper to bumper traffic. Not the way they were....or how I've seen other sport bikers, or squids (wheres this from?), do it.

Stock mirror issue. This is true. They suck...instead I do a lot of moving in the vehicle and always watching whats going on. If my copilot is MIA I count cars before passing. Meaning I don't pass until I see the same car in my rear view as I did in my windshield a moment ago. It requires more patience and thought....but I believe it pays off.

I've got the mindset of keeping myself in check and I think I'll be able to handle that. Its the oil, gravel, or other silly things that take you out that worry me as someone new to riding. Idiots will be idiots no matter what...I will just learn from them and NOT do what they do. I will take my experiences driving and look at the situation as, "If I were in the car next to me (behind, front, etc) what would make them feel more at ease around me (the rider)?" Chances are the right answer is also the safer choice that will get me home in one piece also.

Thanks for the insight and encouragement.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #28
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Riding motorcycles is such a RUSH! It gives you such a sense of FREEDOM! It makes you HIGH!

And everyone knows your judgement can be impaired while high. The trick is to find the balance point between fun and safety. Not always easy to do.

You seem quick to judge people doing things you have no experience at, are so sure you can do better.

Right now you drive a marginal bus in heavy traffic. You have no idea how much different it will feel doing it with the power and agility of a motorcycle.

You come off like you have given everything so much thought and yet your first bike is going to be a GS? Good luck with that.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,156
^^^^^ +1 Well said.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
We've all seen people acting like fools on bikes. I'm equally sure we've all been seen by folks "acting like fools" on our bikes.

Until you get a bike, get your shit together, and log some serious miles you can talk all you want about how you'll be the most responsible biker and everyone else is a schmuck but you're blowing smoke up asses.

You have no idea how you'll ride when you get time in the saddle.

I can sit and say I'll be a good boy tonight and won't be lead astray by that hot chick at the party, but when push comes to shove who knows what's gonna happen.

Life's fun, don't hypothesize what you might do, get out and fucking do it!
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote