Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #61
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I do the sounds when I ride just for fun. Tchoo-Tchoo-tchooo-tchoo!!!
I thought that's what the VW bus sounds like!!

My college buddy used to have an oar strapped to the side of his in case of emergencies.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #62
btao
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
Cruising down Pacific Coast Highway (PCH is the winding road that runs from the bottom of California to CAnada, I think it goes that far...maybe changes in Washington) with the front safari windows open, dogs in the seat, music on the radio...is pretty fun and plenty safe (until you get a bee in the face). None of that "fun" put myself or others at risk (except the bee attack).

If you get squished while "having fun" on a 5 lane highway at 5pm...don't cry on here about it. You took a risk that you felt was worth the pay off.

Time and place.
I don't think I've ever been on a 5 lane highway during rush hour. It's just not fun on a bike. I enjoy doubling the speed limit on backroads while dodging squirrels and dragging pegs, or exploring dirt/forest roads/trails. Which, sadly in your case, is all slow speed and takes an incredible amount of control. If you do try your hand at dirt, go straight to full knobbies, no inbetweeners. You'll need every prayer you can spare.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #63
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,273
Quote:
Thats because I'm the most awesome thing on two wheels....and I haven't even gotten a bike yet!

I've got my perspective and some really good advice. Maybe one day in a few months to a year I'll go, "OOOOO...thats whats those ass holes were trying to beat into me!" Just maybe though......

in the mean time...I'll continue to play it safe so I can get to the point all you hardcore guys are at.

(A fly and ride from Vancouver to Los Angeles a little too ambitious for Early-mid september? Probably. Its an 1150GS by the way.)

First bike & first ride? On a 1150GS? What could possibly go wrong?

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #64
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
There are a lot worse bikes than an 1150GS for a first bike. Yes, it is big and heavy, but it isn't a rocket ship. It has good brakes and is surprisingly good in corners. The power that it has isn't the kind that will easily get away from him. It isn't the neck-snapping speed of a 'Busa or even a Bandit.

As long as he is careful and gets training, he should be fine... I hope.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #65
majlee_vmi
Tidewater 41009

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Regarding purchasing a GS right off. I don't like doing things twice. I've been that route so many times in life. Going small or cheap and working up to something else...why spend the money twice? Save the money once, spend it once. The boxer motor made sense coming from building VWs. I'm 6'1" 220ish....I've sat on smaller bikes and they feel..."off". I got some good advice on what to get first...granted it was what I wanted to hear...but oh well. If its too powerful...its only as fast or powerful as your throttle lets it go. My bus has a 2.1 liter EFI motor in it. It puts out over 150hp at the flywheel (not amazing by many standards, but vs the old 40hp...night and day). I drive at 65mph tops. Why? I respect the motor, the car, the time and money I've put into it...I don't want to break it or wreck it. I respect that it takes twice as long to stop and almost always have an escape route. With the gearing in the car...yeah I can blow the doors off a civic at a light....do I no...have I ...no. Abuse of speed and power just leads to broken parts....I've seen transmissions broken in half with combos weaker than mine. I drive within the limits of the vehicle, well within....more importantly I drive within the limits of my checkbook and my insurance card.

Let me get this straight....some people here are advocating breaking the law in the name of fun and in the search for a rush? No thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure its fun to do these things...and I'm sure I would enjoy doing them too. Really though...survival and economy is a bigger pay off in the end than a few seconds at 100mph.

I realized something the other day going down the road thinking about this conversation and attitudes involved. Laws are not only there to control people and keep you safe (maybe), but they also give you a set of guidelines of what you should expect others to be doing also. Like the whole passing on the right gutter thing...that is against the law and as someone who has studied traffic laws and "graduated" (drivers license) I don't necessarily expect someone to break the laws like that and can set a lower priority to that zone and focus on the road ahead. When someone disobeys something like that because they CAN it puts everyone at risk. Another EXTREME example is driving on the right (in the USA). Yes you CAN drive on the left, but no one is expecting that and will probably end up getting you killed. This is a guideline we have come to follow and expect others to follow...thus we plan our driving around that rule. My point is...do what others expect you to do and be where others expect you to be...and I would think your day to day survival rate will increase.

I'm 33. I've gone fast and done silly things. They don't interest me...I like to go places, places you can't get to easily, see things, do things....I like the route more than the drive.

Now all I have to do is practice what I preach, head others advice, and learn from others sillyness.....should be easy enough

there needs to be a new saying, "Drive it like you're still making payments on it"

Good God, I feel like I'm reading something I would've written 10 years ago...right down to the physical description and earnest promises. Glad you are breaking into the motorcycle world and I appreciate your firm stance on self discipline, but... wait until you get pretty good with that thing. It takes a few miles and a couple of courses like TC or California Super Bike to get to the cocky stage, but it'll happen - that's when it will get a bit dicey. "Boy racer" will come out and those curves look really easy...I swore I was going to be a good rider exhibiting self control at all times and then I found German roads are really curvy and fun around here. Yep, I've come so very close to biffing several times recently because I got cocky. Good luck with the control thing - hope you do it better than I've been able to manage it.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #66
DJFlowe
Ginger

Oddometer: 235
(A fly and ride from Vancouver to Los Angeles a little too ambitious for Early-mid september? Probably. Its an 1150GS by the way.)[/QUOTE]

Man. This is freaky. It's literally like running into past me.

So... I'd been riding for about 90 days, completed an MSF class and thought I had riding pretty well under control. I didn't like my "starter" bike, thought pretty highly of my situational intelligence, self-discipline and smarts, and decided to do a fly-n-ride to get an 1150GS. I'd never ridden more than 40 miles in a day at this point.

Guy met me at the Jacksonville FL airport with the GS on a trailer behind his truck. I had a helmet, a 'stich and a pocket full of cash. I hopped on and started riding north.

I survived. I'll say that much.

Otherwise, it was an awful experience. I was totally unprepared for all the things you have to get used to on a long ride. I was totally unprepared for the size and weight and handling of the GS. It was absolutely a white-knuckle experience, and looking back I wonder just how dangerous I actually was on that ride. The worst part, in my mind, is that it truly put me off riding. I got off that bike (shaking) in NC and wondered if I'd ever get on a motorcycle again. I thought for the longest time that all the guys who waxed philosophic about riding were full of shit.

It took getting back on smaller, lighter bikes for me to find out that this sport is actually a lot of fun. I still don't think I'd enjoy riding a GS.

All this said- you're a grown-ass man. You've gotten a ton of advice here and you're going to do what you want to, and it's your right to do what you want to do. I've been almost exactly in your shoes, and I could have saved myself years of confusion if I'd listened then.
DJFlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #67
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
..My main question is, why do some motorcyclist take risks on a bike that they would probably not do in a car.
Why do so many folks start out with a heavy bike when it is going to hurt so much more when they fall and be much more likely to fall or crash? Because we all secretly think "it won't happen to me" because of my superior careful riding skills.

The amount spent to ride a small bike for a year or two is negligible compared to the amounts spent on parts and medical bills. It is also negligible to what one spends on gear. NEVER underestimate how much a bike wants to take a nap nor how fast it (and you) can stop on impact, nor how far you will slide. The best protection is to avoid the accident in the first place and a light bike makes that MUCH more likely. Wether it is swerving to avoid a left turner (or increase visibility), accelerating between cars to avoid a rear ender, or simply being so much more comfortable "slowing then re accelerating" when side street cars loom. Lucky you for getting on the forums BEFORE riding home a heavy bike.

As a dealer once told a friend of mine when he wasn't exactly sure which bike to purchase..... "This is only your first bike purchase"....
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #68
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
The trip began to make less sense financially when I ran the numbers and lost wages included, shipping was cheaper. I had a fairly good back route through rural areas planned out so wouldn't run into too much traffic. Ultimately, shipping is a better option.

From all of my reading, the larger GS is a perfectly acceptable bike in the turns (having fun) and offroad. Yes, it is bigger and the boxer will get pinched in some places, but knowing that comes with riding it. I am going to learn on this bike, the same way I did learning to drive a stick....large open area (softer in this case) and learn how the thing feels, how it shifts, how to get off it....at what point does it fall over. Practice going slow under control on a soft area so when it falls neither of us gets hurt. I don't plan on hopping on the highway as soon as the delivery truck pulls up....as tempting as that might be. It may be a more vicious learning curve, but so are some of the more rewarding things in life.

I like the negative vibes I'm getting. I've always fed on people saying, you can't do that...it won't work. Sometimes they were right...often times it just required a different approach. You never know until you try.

I should have prefaced this a little more I guess. This is not my first time on two wheels. Obviously theres the bicycle, hardly worth mentioning. I rode a mini-bike throughout Baja at about 9 years old (my dad and I bought and restored it together). I only crashed it once, turning in sand at low speed...burned my leg on the exhaust. Rode it so much my arms hurt from all the washboard. I've ridden dirt bikes and scooters on various trips in the world (1 day-1 week rentals). And I puttered around rural areas of northern California on my uncles hybrid cruiser thing for a week at about 15. I dropped it twice. Once backing up, the other at low speed trying to make too sharp of a turn in dirt. Also messed around on quads quite a bit...I know...aside from the basic controls and shifting....apples to bricks. These are by no means accomplishments or credentials...merely...I have a vague idea of what I'm getting into. Of everyting...I felt less stable on scooters than other 2 wheeled vehicles...the seated chair position didn't seem to tend toward symmetry for me.

Y aknow...there is a third option here. If the GS proves to be too much to handle in the first few weeks and I have no confidence to even approach an onramp...apparently a 250 is so cheap I can get one and have the GS on stand by until I feel comfortable on it. IF nothing else, it will sit in the garage as a prize waiting for me to get up to it.
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #69
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump. "Stupid is as stupid does."

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #70
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump. "Stupid is as stupid does."
You like Tom Hanks too?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #71
btao
Pwned

I wonder if you think a smaller bike will somehow be less fun...

Smaller bikes only become less fun when you out grow it.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #72
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was looking at the GS for different features. ABS, direct drive, bigger more visible and stable, like the look of the GS. I understand the GS motor, efi, and maintenance, etc. The GS also has as track record (good and bad as I've read) for going places. It fit where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. I wasn't looking for speed or anything like that. I was looking for utility.

For every naysayer I've read here, I've read 2 other equally good reports from first timers elsewhere. I'll burn that bridge when I get there.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #73
Antiquar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I wouldn't read the comments here in an adversarial tone, they're just trying to advise. But obviously no one is going to convince you to not get the GS. Just be careful and stay sharp on that thing!
Antiquar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #74
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

How did this go from my observations on a world I'm getting into to my choice of motorcycle?
Old 08-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #75
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
How did this go from my observations on a world I'm getting into to my choice of motorcycle?
You obviously haven't really gotten the hang of this site yet. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to get off topic.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote