"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #77
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Wheres the engine guards? Or valve cover protectors?
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #78
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 218
After 35 years of riding my choice is now a pure off-road bike for off-road (RM250) and a DR350 for riding on the street. I have no interest in riding busy roads or highways.

Big bikes have their purpose I suppose... I just didn't figure it out with all the ones I owned...
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #79
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post

Big bikes have their purpose I suppose... I just didn't figure it out with all the ones I owned...
Big bikes are so you can spend money you don't have to buy something you don't need, to impress people you will never meet, who are not impressed anyway.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #80
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Big bikes are so you can spend money you don't have to buy something you don't need, to impress people you will never meet, who are not impressed anyway.
Well said.

Unless you plan on long trips with a passenger all the time, which is the only reason for the Tiger Explorer or the 1200 GS, etc.

Still amazed the explorer sales are 2.5x tiger 800 sales....
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #81
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,915
It's testosterone at it's best
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #82
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
It's testosterone at it's best
Says the guys on an intranet forum as they pop their Low-T pills

Had my classroom last night. Pretty interesting...it seems sometimes motorcycle riders aren't ALWAYS being silly but are dealing with or preparing to deal with some upcoming problem...this includes speeding up considerably in some case. Also learned a blown or flat tire isn't a death sentence as I thought it would have been. Interesting.

Instructor says the 1150 is ambitious, but not impossible as long as you keep in mind the weight and power you are attempting to control. Go easy and increase distance and speed as skill and confidence increase.

I also learned that riders are very hard on their transmission systems vs a car. Theres a lot of holding the clutch and down shifting. Down shifting for me is a last resort if the brakes aren't adequate for the slope. It wrecks syncros and takes life off the clutch. Sitting with the clutch engaged also spins the throwout bearing. This is just a simple bearing with grease in it....its meant to be used off and on, not held. Lot of clutch slipping to (friction zone)...thats OK in my book, I do it in parking lots with cars too. Is there something drastically different in a MX tranny that allows it to tolerate this abuse? I know a large BMW uses the same friction and pressure plate design as a car.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #83
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,754
I don't know about BMWs, but I've yet to see a motorcycle transmission with syncros.

Also, I usually only use the clutch to get started from a start, rarely to upshift, and occasionally for a downshift. YMMV
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #84
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
I don't know about BMWs, but I've yet to see a motorcycle transmission with syncros.

Also, I usually only use the clutch to get started from a start, rarely to upshift, and occasionally for a downshift. YMMV
That was a question I didn't get answered...can you rev match a motorcycle transmission to change gears? I've done it in a car when the clutch cable broke.

If they don't have syncros...great...never knew that. How does a bike tranny work without syncros...like a crash box? They just crunch into place?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #85
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
That was a question I didn't get answered...can you rev match a motorcycle transmission to change gears? I've done it in a car when the clutch cable broke.

If they don't have syncros...great...never knew that. How does a bike tranny work without syncros...like a crash box? They just crunch into place?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+does+a+moto...nsmission+work
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #86
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

When people answer like that they usually don't know the answer themselves...or think they're above answering such a lowly question. This is a conversation....if we were in a bar and the conversation went to a technical question, would you answer, "Go look it up."?

Sniperx screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 11:24 AM
Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #87
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Wow, you've gotten a harsh response here. Handled it well too.

I see no problem in you getting an 1150GS as your first bike. They're actually pretty tame. On the street at least. Before you take it seriously off road, I'd really recommend either the Jimmy Lewis or Rawhyde course. At the very least, get Neduros "Dual Sport Riding" video(s) and practice the drills. Oh, and your first time in the dirt, go with someone who has big bike dirt experience.

My first bike was an FJ600. By today's standard, it's practically a VW Bug, but back then, everyone said I'd kill myself getting a 600 crotch rocket as my first bike. Obviously, I didn't. The main reason I didn't is that I had a head on my shoulders that let me enjoy the ride while knowing where the line was that should not be crossed. You can have a lot of fun, and get an adrenaline rush, while still having 15% reserve left to cover unforeseen situations. I also, like you, took the MSF course right off the bat. I'm damn sure that played a HUGE part in keeping my head in the right place.

If you're ever down in San Diego and want to go for a ride, send me a PM.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #88
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, for the next person who asks me...they ARE like a crash box. They have dogs or pegs that fit into holes when the speeds or the engine and wheel match closely. An incorrect gear selection or speed will result in "grinding" which is actually the pegs skittering across the surface of the mating gear. This will cause wear resulting in the tranny popping out of gear.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #89
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Wow, you've gotten a harsh response here. Handled it well too.

I see no problem in you getting an 1150GS as your first bike. They're actually pretty tame. On the street at least. Before you take it seriously off road, I'd really recommend either the Jimmy Lewis or Rawhyde course. At the very least, get Neduros "Dual Sport Riding" video(s) and practice the drills. Oh, and your first time in the dirt, go with someone who has big bike dirt experience.

My first bike was an FJ600. By today's standard, it's practically a VW Bug, but back then, everyone said I'd kill myself getting a 600 crotch rocket as my first bike. Obviously, I didn't. The main reason I didn't is that I had a head on my shoulders that let me enjoy the ride while knowing where the line was that should not be crossed. You can have a lot of fun, and get an adrenaline rush, while still having 15% reserve left to cover unforeseen situations. I also, like you, took the MSF course right off the bat. I'm damn sure that played a HUGE part in keeping my head in the right place.

If you're ever down in San Diego and want to go for a ride, send me a PM.
You're misguided ride with the other guy (forgot his name from the ride report) are what inspired me to go the route I did. I plan to take quite a few trips down your way and south of the border. Trips...what am I saying...its an hour down the road. I love the road up to Palomar and down the otherside through Julian and beyond. Are the falls still shutdown over there?

The MSF seemed like a logical route. For someone having never ridden in a serious manner...why would I think I could pass the DMV practical right off? THAT is testosterone and ego thinking that would work. Side note: I only missed one on that paper test...and it was because I marked the wrong box....I knew the answer right off too. BAH! Guess I'm NOT the most badass thing yet.

Sniperx screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 11:30 AM
Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #90
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
You're misguided ride with the other guy (forgot his name from the ride report) are what inspired me to go the route I did. I plan to take quite a few trips down your way and south of the border. Trips...what am I saying...its an hour down the road. I love the road up to Palomar and down the otherside through Julian and beyond. Are the falls still shutdown over there?

The MSF seemed like a logical route. For someone having never ridden in a serious manner...why would I think I could pass the DMV practical right off? THAT is testosterone and ego thinking that would work. Side note: I only missed one on that paper test...and it was because I marked the wrong box....I knew the answer right off too. BAH! Guess I'm NOT the most badass thing yet.
Awesome! I'm not sure which falls you're referring to, I know of a few. Some are open, some not. We're planning another San Diego Backcountry Ride sometime in October, I'll make sure to let you know when we get details going. Or just subscribe to THIS thread.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote