User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
coneye OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
V strom or Tenere

Hi , just like to ask people who know , i've asked this in another forum , but would like the opinion on owners or x owners of vstroms and teneres .

I bought a 2012 650 v strom , find i love it i'me riding it more and more , , So much so, that i'm thinking of selling my rocket tourer which i use for touring and any day over say 300 klm ..Now the problem is has much fun has the V is , i have had to change the seat to the lower seat , to get the height right , i've put risers on , but i still start to squirm and get uncomfortable on it , no way could i do 700-1000 klm days on it .

If i was to make it my only bike , i would definetly have to put , bigger risers that come back more , then cables ,, i would need the lowering pegs , even though i'm a short arse , after a while my knees hurt , (i'm used to cruisers ) and i would DEFINETLY need a better seat , , which if it lifted the bike higher would mean lowering the bike a bit , links are out i would do it properly , but i cannot help but think spending all that money on a 650 to tour would be throwing it away ,

So heres my question , would the tenere suit better , it seems more comfortable sat in the showroom ,
But would it be too much of a handful , with the weight on the dirt tracks, i'm discovering this is what i love about the adventure style bikes . Bear in mind i am a complete dirt bike novice ,i'm just discovering the back roads near me, and go slow and steady even on the smaller v strom .

Is the tenere better in the dirt ,, which i don't really need , but less on the road which i don't want , . Obviously the reason i would swap to a tenere is soley to tour on it and sell my rocket ,.

Other than that the option is to still keep two bikes , but i'm retiring in 6 weeks and like the thought of only one rego , one insurance , one of everything , and i'm sick of spending on tyres every 7-8000 klm on the rocket ,

Because the rocket is my touring bike , last march i done 5000 klm , going again next week , being bigger tyres and a bike lots are not familiar with , i need to put a new set on before i go , so 6000 klm later i'm up for another $650 bucks for a set , and when i get back after 5-6000 , it will be another set before the next trip , ,spending on tyres is starting to wear a bit thin after 5 years scuse the pun ,

But the main thing is does the tenere handle the roads (twisties ) has well has the v strom . because thats what i'm loving about the 650
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Tenere riders are basically gonna tell you they totally understand the appeal of the DL650. Many have had them. And\or the DL1000.

But then they are going to point out there is a huge difference between these 2 bikes.

Maybe not in the "Adventure Marketing World".
But in real world they are very very different.

The Tenere cost THOUSANDS$ more.
And justifiably.
It is just more. More of almost everything.

But, it will still be fun to hear it all again.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
fwiw - we used to have 2 DL1000's in the garage. Now we have 2 Tenere's
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
mikestevens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
i'm considering both the new DL 1000 (2014 when it comes out ) and the S10.

I'll wait to see the tech specs on the new DL 1000 (fuck the looks, who cares about that).

I have an 08 Vee now. Best bike i've had.
mikestevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
All I can say is after riding the Tenere for a while I had to take the Strom back for a recall, yes 5 years old, and it basically felt cramped nervous and rough. You can deduct the rough for the 650.

How much did I ride the Strom after the Ten, once.

As far as off tarmac goes, the S10 is fine. It depends more on your pre conceptions than the bike.

The bikes geometry is the same as most trail bikes. DR650 DRZ etc it's just bigger.

The COG is low so you have a lot of leverage if you need to pick it up, but it is way less prone to nap than the Stroms.

Strom seat was fine for me, the S10 is a bit better. The thing about ADV bikes is you can stand up and look like a poser when you ride through towns if your but gets a bit sore. It's set up to be good for that, standing not posing
Everyones ass is different and different garments can make a difference as well.

So what is actually better. ?

Suspension.
COG,
Off road oriented Geometry.
Crusing ability.
Air intake position.
Radiator position.
Leg room / General space.
Adjustable seat height.
Carrying capacity.
Overtaking ability.
Trac control
ABS
UBS
Brakes.
Stability.
Better in cross winds.
Shaft (personal choice for me for long distance bikes)
Buffeting from the screen is better than the Pre 2013 Stroms. Donlt know about the lter ones.
Easier to service mostly.
Low down torque range.
After market and DIY Engine maps are an option for the ECU itself.
Nearly all electricals are under one cover with 1/4 turn bolts.
Flip up tank.

What is worse compared to a 650?

Range. 450Km Max Vs 500 Max. Although on a legal speed 110km/h I have achieved a theoretical 470 Km.
If you want to do 200Km/h an hour everywhere expect 300km range.
Steering speed is slower. It's a Giant dirt bike not a jacked up street bike. Compromise for being more stable off road.
Headlights.
Engine is rougher under power. On the cruise it can be "freakishly smooth"
Pushing it up hill is 25% harder.
Pushing around a parking lot? Different. Less effort to hold up which gives more energy to push.
Price.
Maintenance costs about 20% up. Mainly tires.

About the same?
(Where I live) Both have premium recommended, Both can run on regular no problems.
Reliability.
Lack of snob value.
Joe Public will still comment on your BMW. You still have to go through the no it's not a BMW thing.
Both have metal tanks so magnet tank bags are transferable.
Both use the same size tires. (from memory)
Accessory options are huge.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 09:02 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
The Triumph 800 looks like a sweet bike and a "not too big & not too small" size. How's it compare with the V Strom & Tenere?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I think you are pretty sensitive and finding the bike that is comfortable is a longshot as the lottery. I just ride and enjoy. No need for risers or seat mods. I never rode the Vstrom as it's chain drive, and I had a belly full of that crap back in 1972, no way in this world I'll go back there. The tenere is one heck of a good motorcycle, but I doubt it any better in handlebars, seat, pegs ect if you like the Harley layout.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
justrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Super Ten VS Stroms and the 800 Tiger

I have owned both the 1000 and the 650 DL`s. I just bought my Super T this past week. Its been hard to park. I did my break in miles in two days. I have a trip planned tomorrow with my girl and her riding her DL 650..

Its apples and oranges really. The DL`s are budget minded. Cheap suspensions , Brakes , Final drive chain etc... The Stroms have been updated once for the 1000 and once for the 650 in the last Ten years.

The Super Ten is everything the DL`s aren't . As far as the Tiger 800 goes its great as a middle weight ridden it twice but feels small with little wind protection but the triple is zippy.

I found the bike that was just right The Super T.
justrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,816
If you love curvy roads, then a smaller engine might suit you better than a bigger one. It's not just the bike's total weight, it is also the rotating masses inside the engine, that make a bigger bike less willing to change direction. Just physics, but something that is often overlooked.

About long-distance comfort you really will have to find out for yourself, just way too many personal things there to give one answer. Most bikes can be modified to suit you - and few bikes are spot on for everybody out of the box.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
I own a 2012 DL 650. Between the new DL 650 and the S10, the DL 650, the only downside it has is suspension which can be fixed easilly and cheaply.

However, between the DL 1000 and the S10, the S10. The DL 1000 has too many quirks.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
coneye OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I think you are pretty sensitive and finding the bike that is comfortable is a longshot as the lottery. I just ride and enjoy. No need for risers or seat mods. I never rode the Vstrom as it's chain drive, and I had a belly full of that crap back in 1972, no way in this world I'll go back there. The tenere is one heck of a good motorcycle, but I doubt it any better in handlebars, seat, pegs ect if you like the Harley layout.

Your right i am sensetive to comfort , my rocket never fit , i lowerered that , put risers on , touring seat and riders backrest , now i can do hundreds of klm 's day after day .. Its just that with 650 engine i don't really think its going to be suitable for the long hauls i do two , three times a year , plus the countless 3-400 klm days i do regular .

If the tenere is , a better off road bike than the v strom that would be great ,, because like i said its the adventure riding , finding these side trails and tracks that i'm really enjoying .. But if its a pig on the road in the twisties , i would be disapointed because thats where i am really really enjoying the v strom , it handles them better than the bonneville i traded for it , .

If the tenere is the same and also a comfortable tourer i would be rapped and found my perfect bike, but unfortunatly my local dealer does'nt have a demo , by the way if i got the tenere i would spend on the comfort

The v strom could be made comfortable like any bike could , its just that it will never for me be a tourer especielly, 2 up fully loaded , hitting the freeways with road trains you have to pass ,

The rocket tourer i have is probably king of the beast for me any way , and nothing will have the power -comfort that thing has got , but i still like the idea of one bike , .

Thanks for your opinion , and the opinions of everyone else , you learn by asking questions , and if it does'nt happen i'll stick with the 2 bikes , , at least until i get a lot more proficeint at dirt riding , then being the obsesive personality type of bloke , i'll probably want a trail bike that can handle the simpson desert , ,
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
I currently own a Tenere and a DL1000 and agree with the general thoughts around here, that in many ways the Tenere feels like an upgraded strom. But, they are different and what some point out as shortcomings on the strom are differences that can be a plus.

One of the biggest is the way they deliver power IN STOCK FORM. The Tenere has a super smooth torque curve and enough power if you ask for it, but isn't close to being as responsive as the strom twin is. While I put far more miles on the Tenere, getting back on the strom gives me that hooligan like feeling as I twist the grip WFO and bring the Rs into the powerband. One can argue dyno charts and practicality all day long, but the Tenere couldn't match that feeling, and I missed that. Well now I'm on my second ECU flash on the Tenere and all of that has changed, and comparing it to my Strom with powercommander and secondaries removed they feel about the same on top with the Tenere being far superior in the bottom end.

Some of the other differences that are neutral , the seating position on the Tenere is roomier, which I like for distance, but I prefer the strom in tight corners, being closer to the handlebars and getting my weight over the front end.

The strom turns in quicker, not night and day, but noticeable. I doubt it would make much of a difference in "lap Times" as you simply countersteer the Tenere with a little more input to equal the effect, but it's a feel thing. That slower steering sure does add stability on loose surfaces though. Which is better?

I've uprgaded my brakes on the strom to the 4 pot calipers and would say the braking is similar to the Tenere. I've heard numerous reviews that say the Teneres are better than the upgraded stroms, but I wonder if part of what they are feeling is the fact the Tenere is linking your rear brake when you pull the front lever. So remember if you are comparing you need to be fairly aggressive with the rear on the strom to really feel a similar braking.

That being said the Tenere has completely changed my opinion 180 degrees on ABS and TC. It's just that good. Everything I'd tried until now felt like it got in my way during hard riding and I thought was band aids for noobs, this new stuff is in an entirely different league.

So for what I do the Tenere is the better of the two bikes if I had to choose one, but I don't. And for now I like having both. I guess I don't see it quite as black and white as most as the Strom still has some things going for it.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Greg the pole
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
I currently own a Tenere and a DL1000 and agree with the general thoughts around here, that in many ways the Tenere feels like an upgraded strom. But, they are different and what some point out as shortcomings on the strom are differences that can be a plus.

One of the biggest is the way they deliver power IN STOCK FORM. The Tenere has a super smooth torque curve and enough power if you ask for it, but isn't close to being as responsive as the strom twin is. While I put far more miles on the Tenere, getting back on the strom gives me that hooligan like feeling as I twist the grip WFO and bring the Rs into the powerband. One can argue dyno charts and practicality all day long, but the Tenere couldn't match that feeling, and I missed that. Well now I'm on my second ECU flash on the Tenere and all of that has changed, and comparing it to my Strom with powercommander and secondaries removed they feel about the same on top with the Tenere being far superior in the bottom end.

Some of the other differences that are neutral , the seating position on the Tenere is roomier, which I like for distance, but I prefer the strom in tight corners, being closer to the handlebars and getting my weight over the front end.

The strom turns in quicker, not night and day, but noticeable. I doubt it would make much of a difference in "lap Times" as you simply countersteer the Tenere with a little more input to equal the effect, but it's a feel thing. That slower steering sure does add stability on loose surfaces though. Which is better?

I've uprgaded my brakes on the strom to the 4 pot calipers and would say the braking is similar to the Tenere. I've heard numerous reviews that say the Teneres are better than the upgraded stroms, but I wonder if part of what they are feeling is the fact the Tenere is linking your rear brake when you pull the front lever. So remember if you are comparing you need to be fairly aggressive with the rear on the strom to really feel a similar braking.

That being said the Tenere has completely changed my opinion 180 degrees on ABS and TC. It's just that good. Everything I'd tried until now felt like it got in my way during hard riding and I thought was band aids for noobs, this new stuff is in an entirely different league.

So for what I do the Tenere is the better of the two bikes if I had to choose one, but I don't. And for now I like having both. I guess I don't see it quite as black and white as most as the Strom still has some things going for it.
It depends on what you are after.
I have owned a DL1000 (55KM), currently own a ST10 (34km), and a 08 dl650 (just assembled, more on the blog)
You mentioned that off road does not concern you. I had a chance to ride a friend 2012 650 and really enjoy the bike. We installed some lowering pegs on his (1") and it made all the difference. His complaint is the stock seat. He says that about after an hour, he's in pain.

Road duty, winner hands down went to my dl1000. Not because of power (dl1000 vs ST10 are close, but they delivery it differently) My corbin seat on the dl was amazing, I could sit in the damn thing for 800-1000km days without issue, something I still struggle to do on my ST (sargent seat, tried the corbin and hated it).

The ST flat out works everywhere, at an incredible pace. I just finished up a 2700 km solo road trip, taking in stuff I really should not have, and it did well.
If off road sections are your thing, nothing Japanese comes close to it. Yes the 950/990/1190 KTM could spank it up and down the street, but I don't think they are as reliable. When the gravel ends, you can keep going at a faster pace still, and never break a sweat.

I think if I were you I would try a few different things on the 2012 650 before trading in. Try the lowering pegs, they make a huge difference, my friend has a vario screen on his that does a great job of managing the air.

hope this helps,
blog here: http://thetenerist.wordpress.com/201.../bc-solo-ride/
Greg the pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
fwiw - we used to have 2 DL1000's in the garage. Now we have 2 Tenere's
I had 2 DL1000's, and now I have a single Tenere.

The DL1000 is a amazing value, but if you have the fundage, the Tenere kills it in every other category.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
i'm in the boat

I'm in the decision matrix having recently sold the 04 Weestrom which bike I rode more miles than any other I have had. but it was time to turn a page.

Personally I will make no decision until I get all the dope on the New 2014 DL1000, or whatever they end up naming it. the mentions of certain goals [by the engineers or 'team' members] is very hopeful to me and the spy shots indicate a new frame stem to stern.
spoke with one dealer today and a potential bottleneck is simply the very lousy year that all dealers seem to be having: lots of inventory in the pipeline moving sluggishly but Suzuki less so than others since they curtailed production seriously twice in recent years. seems that March 2014 would be the outside date for at least having specs and orderability.
to me its entirely possible that the new could come in no heavier than the current DL650 [2013], which is too heavy for a 650 imho
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote