User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #61
coneye OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
[QUOTE=AlsoRan;22144322]

Are those the road trains that run what seems is 100 Kilometers an hour on the dirt roads?

No like Graham said on Tarmac ,, example why i want that little bit more oomph than the 650 .
Last year on my way from Adelaide to Hervey bay ,, come across two big semis , no problem , theres no one coming a rise in front, but alls good , ,

Pull out they were speeding , tail gating each other , sat on around 120 , not fast enough to leave me behind , but slow enough to bug me and keep me in there tail wind , Anyway i'm doing around 145 -150 just casually overtaking , , i gets past one , ,,,, Halfway past num 2 ,,,, Over the rise which is getting closer , comes another truck , no worries plenty of time I just get 3/4 of the way past num 2 and Oh Oh ,, did'nt see the grey nomad in his toyota , 4 w d towing his 24 foot caravan , this shortens the odds a lot .

So quick glance in my mirror , theres another car behind the 1st semi , what do i do , this truck is getting closer , ,

2 choices , num 1 hit the brakes hard ,,, something i don't want to do at 145 klm ph , fully loaded with the wife on the back .

num 2 go for it , ,,,,, I chose num 2 , i'm on my rocket tourer , and just give it throttle ,,within seconds its 160 ,, 170 ,,, 180 ,,, and just casually pull in with plenty of room to spare . The instant acceleration , for me is a definete bonus on long trips ,. ... A 1200 while not having the power the triunph rocket has , should have more than enough to get you out of a sticky situation .

Anyway thanks for all your replies , I'm going out now to load my bike up (the rocket ), i'm all packed , had my shit , shower and shave , and i'm gonna bugger off , for a 12-14 days ride .. Don't even know where yet , alls i know is i'm going east , , i will finish at Batemans bay and then make my way home ,, , i'll pack up , fillup check the tyres , wet my finger stick it in the air and go whichever way the wind is blowing .

Alls i know is i'v got 14 days , i want to go East ,, and i don't want to go near the snow , so it either south east i go or north east .

Once agian thanks for all the replies fellas , what i have decided is enjoy the v strom for now and don't rush . i'll wait till i can get a demo on a fjr and rplace the rocket with that , or a tenere and replace both with that , off course all subjected to test rides .
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #62
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
You're playing with spec sheets again.

We aren't talking about peak HP or top speed.

Pick a gear and roll WFO at 2,000 rpm and see which one jumps to attention and which one needs to ramp up first into the powerband, if you can't feel it there, well then I don't know what to say. This is real world felt power.

The strom may very well have a better quarter mile times,even after mods. I don't know (really don't care). I do know that I have to shift more to keep it in the power, and if I try to lug it like I can the Tenere it comes out of corners feeling gutless. That's a real world assessment. The roads I do ride quick can easily spin the tire long before peak power on either bike, so available power is far easier to ride than peak power. I mean seriously, why would I make this up? I have, and like both bikes, and until the reflash I was vocal about how the Strom was better in this regard, even after the first reflash. Things have changed now. It's really pretty simple.
Well said. I can tell that you have actually have ridden both bikes for thousands of miles and know how they really perform unlike some others that are commenting.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #63
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Pick a gear and roll WFO at 2,000 rpm and see which one jumps to attention and which one needs to ramp up first into the powerband, if you can't feel it there, well then I don't know what to say. This is real world felt power.
Well, I demo rode the bike but didn't feel it that way really.
Bolzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #64
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Well said. I can tell that you have actually have ridden both bikes for thousands of miles and know how they really perform unlike some others that are commenting.
Actually, there are a lot of Tenere owners that have, or had, a V-strom beforehand.
And almost all of them have fair, honest, and mostly fond opinions of the V-strom. But for whatever reasons, it just irritates a couple folks that those same Tenere owners think highly of the Yamaha too.

My brother and I are ADV riding soul-mates. We cross this country together. He on a V-strom 1000, me on a Tenere. It would be the equivalent of a 25,000 mile review\shootout. He loves that Suzuki. He keeps it in perfect condition. Ask him to compare the bikes, just as the title of this thread suggests. First he would tell you all the reasons he loves his bike. But then he would tell you all the ways his brother's bike is superior.

Some reason it doesn't bother him a bit.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #65
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
Well, I demo rode the bike but didn't feel it that way really.
I doesn't FEEL that way may be right. Especially in gear 1-3 on a stock bike.

The first time I rode my DL1000 down to a ride day to check out the S10 for an hour I was surprised at the speedo reading.every time I looked at it. But it wasn't FEELING as fast as it was. It was just picking up pace and going with no fuss at all. It's more about the area under a torque range you are working in.

That will need picture and it's too geeky. Go and love the Strom. Its a fine machine for what they charge for i and its intended purpose.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #66
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Go and love the Strom. Its a fine machine for what they charge for i and its intended purpose.
Thanks, GrahamD -- what would i have only been doing if it weren't for you
Old 08-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #67
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Thanks, GrahamD -- what would i have only been doing if it weren't for you

This is so true...after 2 1K Stroms, you won't her me say bad things about it, but if you have the scratch for a Tenere, the difference is worth it.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #68
wshoc840
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
V-strom...well the CJ Designs Strom :

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913007
CJ Designs LLC - Specializing in custom parts for KTM ADV motorcycles
CJ Designs Blog
wshoc840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #69
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
This is so true...after 2 1K Stroms, you won't her me say bad things about it, but if you have the scratch for a Tenere, the difference is worth it.
I understand this bike is better than the Vee in most respects and probably worth every penny; just have no liking for it -- it doesn't look good (though her riders are one of the best photographers), it doesn't sound good (except that famous white Tenere w dual pipes), and it doesn't run much better than the Strom on the road.

On the other hand despite all the wide choices in the adv market, there're very few alternatives for this bike. Unless of course to close one's eyes and fancy TEX as good offroad, or even Versys (whose owner here is so much in love that almost believes this), or KTM capable for long distance travel without butt requiring treatment from orthopedist, or something other.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #70
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
I understand this bike is better than the Vee in most respects and probably worth every penny; just have no liking for it -- it doesn't look good (though her riders are one of the best photographers), it doesn't sound good (except that famous white Tenere w dual pipes), and it doesn't run much better than the Strom on the road.

On the other hand despite all the wide choices in the adv market, there're very few alternatives for this bike. Unless of course to close one's eyes and fancy TEX as good offroad, or even Versys (whose owner here is so much in love that almost believes this), or KTM capable for long distance travel without butt requiring treatment from orthopedist, or something other.
Eh.. My TEX is every bit as good off road as my Vee, if not better. Yes, I have both, for now. I wouldn't either 'good'.

Many Triumph dealers offer test rides. Just do it..

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #71
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
Eh.. My TEX is every bit as good off road as my Vee
I meant the Tenere -- with regard to big Strom pretty much every bike of new generation is at least not worse offroad.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #72
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,679
weestrom beats vstrom.
ask those who have both.

that outta the way - yes I've seen in the big tenere hangouts that a lot of them were weestrom owners, lulled to guard-down position by the awesome reliability and "forget its there" nature of the wee.
I think its still too early to tell whether, over several years of high mileage riding, the tenere is still considered to be worth the 2x price.
from a Maker's standpoint, one great purpose that high prices serve is that it makes the buyer feel obligated to praise the bike [to show how incredibly savvy the owner must be ]

i like yammy.
i like suzy
i don't like honda... even though i've had several
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote