Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
Jetmakerbrit
Cranky Flier

Oddometer: 12
Flogging a dead horse here but as previous responses concurred, adaptor effect on accuracy is a non-issue. It does however increase the chances of breaking the 1/4" wrench head - especially if the click is missed (seen this done). Just be careful not to be over-zealous and exceed the specified torque.
Jetmakerbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
Z50R
Not lost yet

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Others may correct me but the only issue I can think of is that if the adapter is of a significant length there would be a loss of torque due to torsional losses? Maybe.... Its been a while. I believe there is a formula to correct the loss? emti
The length of the adapter only matters in a dynamic situation like an impact wrench. Since every action has an equal and opposite reaction, a twist in one end of the bar must be accounted for with an equal and opposite twist on the other end. A bar under torsion acts as a spring: this means that it can store energy and thus a large force for a short duration can be balanced by a small force for a long duration. A longer or more slender bar will have a lower spring constant and therefore be less stiff and more "springy".

If you are using a long extension for a critical torque operation, be sure to hold the wrench at the specified torque until the socket stops moving. For any real life application this will be less than a second.
Z50R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
I thought I was the only person around that actually used a torque wrench on the oil fil on my GS! I do because I can. I have the torque wrench and the filter tool. I can't do it 'by hand' since it is in a recess. Obviously I could just use a ratchet, but I figure as long as I am using a ratchet, why not use my torque wrench?
On all other vehicles I work on, I do it by hand. Never had a problem either way.
But one think I have noticed lately is that on my GS (1150), the rubber ring on the filter sticks on the bike insted of coming off with the old filter. Seems like the last several filter changes have gone this way, while it never happened to me before. So I suspect the filters are not grabbing the rubber ring as well as they used to. No big deal. Just remember to look for it.

Terry