Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
linds-o-rama OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
A couple of girls in the hills of Central Oregon...

I've been lurking here for a while, waiting for something worthy of a first post. Here you go!

As a new rider, it has taken me a little time to figure out where a motorcycle fits into my life. Commuting on the bike is great, but I had difficulty finding time and partners to head out on the trails. Then I met Kelly. She got into riding through a former boyfriend, but didn't really have a regular riding partner anymore. She has two bikes and tons of motivation! Kelly is the ideal riding buddy: she knows her shit, calls regularly to make plans, and is always game when I want to to ride!

Kelly and I met up to check out some roads that head up toward my favorite mountain, Broken Top. I had never been up 4601 to the 370 road, and wanted to scope it out because the 370 road was still closed, and I wanted to do some summer skiing up there! I'm quickly realizing that the bike is a great way to scope out potential backcountry ski spots. But I digress...

4601 was pretty fun with plenty of water bars to ride. Kelly was out front (as usual!) and I was doing my best to keep up with her, when I noticed some hikers through the trees. We had just crossed the Metolius-Windigo trail and were at the 370 road. The gate was OPEN! A big surprise to me, as I had been calling the FS for weeks trying to hassle them into opening the road.

After a quick discussion, we decided to turn our short, out-and-back reconnaissance mission into a full-on loop, with our next destination being the Broken Top trailhead. Soon after we started riding again, we encountered a water crossing. My first! We got off our bikes and scoped it out. We agreed that there was a reasonable path across that wouldn't be a big deal. I was pretty nervous so I encouraged Kelly to go first.

She said it was no big deal, so gathered all my courage and rode across. She was right: no big deal!

There was definitely a high-five on the other side. My first water crossing on the bike was a success!

We eventually hooked up with the 380 road and rode to the trailhead at Broken Top. The weather was looking grumpy, but the views were still good!

We were pretty happy to be there.

Things started getting interesting on the ride out. I sort of forgot that the 370 road going toward Todd Lake had some downhill sections. Feeling good about my 20+ miles of off-road riding and my successful water crossing, I also sort of forgot that my riding skills are pretty limited. Riding along, I made a mistake (or possibly a series of them!) and dumped my bike for the first time.

I went down fast, and it was no big deal. It was actually a huge relief to dump my bike. I knew it was going to happen eventually, and I was pretty worried that it was going to be really awful. I picked up my bike and went on my merry way.

Then I dumped it again. And again. And a fourth time! At this point, I'm sure Kelly was wondering where the hell I was and rode back up the road to come find me. She found me in the process of picking up my bike and was super worried. I was fine; I just wanted some tips so I didn't dump my fu*&ing bike again! She told me to keep it in first, not use my brakes, and keep my weight over my rear wheel. Of course! Then I was fine.

We rode past Todd Lake, out to Cascades Lakes Highway, and back to Bend. It was a great day! Looking forward to my next session of the school of hard knocks, dual sport style. Hopefully next time I won't be limping home.

Bend --> Skyliners Road --> 4601 --> 370 --> 380 --> Broken Top TH --> 380 --> 370 --> 46 --> Bend

linds-o-rama screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 08:40 PM
linds-o-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,157
Great first post! That's a really fun ride up there isn't it!
Welcome to the madness.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
linds-o-rama OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dual Sport View Post
Great first post! That's a really fun ride up there isn't it!
I'm sure that I will think it is fun eventually! I was concentrating.... really.... hard! Ha!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
ridge lines

And beautiful trails. I live for those views. Glad to hear you're mastering descents. A lot like skiing and the similarities will click the more you ride. Thanks for the report. One day I hope to explore there.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Riding back country down here in the Sonoran desert for years, if I had $100 for every time I got off I'd be a rich man. Hang in there. Every get-off is a learning experience. (End of pep talk).
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Thumb

Welcome. Thanks for sharing your noobness with us!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Very nice view..stay away from the front brake in the dirt for now, that should help keep you upright too.

Just keep at it in the dirt and you find yourself getting along rather comfortably one day.

Look forward to some more pics..:-)
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
TK-421
not at my post

Oddometer: 134
Great Ride report.

I've been hoping to get up there myself and your photos are just the motivation I needed. Hiking in that area is fantastic so I'm sure riding is even better. And you're right, dropping the bike is actually a relief, I felt awful the first time I dropped my GS in the dirt, then I felt awesome when I picked it up without difficulty, it's part of the fun...

Thanks for sharing!
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
linds-o-rama OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I've been hoping to get up there myself and your photos are just the motivation I needed. Hiking in that area is fantastic so I'm sure riding is even better.
I keep thinking about the bike as a mode of transportation, not an activity in itself. I had hiking shoes with me, but imminent rain ran us down the hill. I see myself bringing skis on the bike sometime for sure. Ride to hike, ride to swim, ride to ski, ride to soak in hot springs, ride to pick berries (or so I read in another TR!)... I'm still wrapping my head around the possibilities! Enjoy it up there, it is SO GORGEOUS!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
linds-o-rama OP
Adventurer

You guys are so encouraging! Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
linds-o-rama OP
Adventurer

Here is a photo of what an hour or so of hiking will get you from the TH!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 263
Nice!

Great start and great pictures!!! Im jealous of your ride, OR is friggin gorgeous. Nice work, be safe and keep it coming
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,235
Great ride report! Love that area. I've only ridden that area once but skied it several times. Looks so different without snow.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Karlm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Loved it. Thanks for sharing from a newbie on the other side of the world :)
Old 08-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #15
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 283
Its a sweet ride back up there! Nicely done on your first water crossing!