User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
gdsob OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ulysses engine temp sensor

I am troubleshooting an engine miss and bought a new engine temperature sensore from ASB. Problem is, i can't find the damn thing and I don't have a service manual. Can someone post a picture or tell me where it is?
gdsob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
The engine temp sensor is on the rear cylinder head, adjacent to the spark plug IIRC. You'll have to remove the outer and inner airboxes, and the airbox base plate to see it and/or remove it.

There's also an intake air temperature sensor that sticks up out of the airbox baseplate.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
gdsob OP
Adventurer

OK thanks. I am not seeing anything near the rear spark plug. I just changd the plugs and O2 sensor, so all the covers are off, but this has me stymied.

It's really cramped in there, talk about 10 lbs. of poo in a 5 lb box...
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
The engine temp sensor is on the rear cylinder head, adjacent to the spark plug IIRC. You'll have to remove the outer and inner airboxes, and the airbox base plate to see it and/or remove it.

There's also an intake air temperature sensor that sticks up out of the airbox baseplate.
The manual says to rotate the right side engine tie bar to access the sensor.
You will need a slotted 1/2 inch deep socket to get it out too.
Make sure to clean all the debris out of the area before installing the new sensor.
The book says torque to 120~168 in/lbs (I would do 10ft/lbs.)

NOTE:
Do not operate the starter motor with the ground strap loose; bad things will happen.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsob View Post
OK thanks. I am not seeing anything near the rear spark plug. I just changd the plugs and O2 sensor, so all the covers are off, but this has me stymied.

It's really cramped in there, talk about 10 lbs. of poo in a 5 lb box...
I dug my manual out. I was wrong about placement; looks like it's closer to the center of the rear head.

I'll also post a pic of the entire page from the manual in case there's anything else helpful- stand by.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Here's the complete page from the shop manual:

Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001

It's pretty deep in there, the black wire off the center of the head.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
gdsob OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post

It's pretty deep in there, the black wire off the center of the head.
That would be infinitly easier to get to without the frame and other wires and hoses in the way. Thanks for the help guys.

I ended up slotting a socket with agrinder and needed a wobble extension to access the sensor. Just came back for about an hour ride and still have the same problem with it cutting out and going to skip spark.

I've done the following:

New plugs
o2 sensor
Temp sensor
Swap ecm's - stock and EBR race. I even cracked one open to check the solder joints and relocated from stock location.

Got 77 miles from last tank of gas. Dealing with this for the last month or so and
Amgetting pretty frustrated that i haven't fixed yet.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That would be infinitly easier to get to without the frame and other wires and hoses in the way. Thanks for the help guys.

I ended up slotting a socket with agrinder and needed a wobble extension to access the sensor. Just came back for about an hour ride and still have the same problem with it cutting out and going to skip spark.

I've done the following:

New plugs
o2 sensor
Temp sensor
Swap ecm's - stock and EBR race. I even cracked one open to check the solder joints and relocated from stock location.

Got 77 miles from last tank of gas. Dealing with this for the last month or so and Am getting pretty frustrated that i haven't fixed yet.
I'm sure that is immensely frustrating. Have you posted up in the Big, Bad & Dirty forum at Badweb? Somebody there may be able to help:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1376867796
Old 08-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
gdsob OP
Adventurer

Yeah, been scouring BadWeb and some really good info there. Figured out how to read the codes and only had the engine temp sensor code, so i am lost at this point.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, been scouring BadWeb and some really good info there. Figured out how to read the codes and only had the engine temp sensor code, so i am lost at this point.
Glad you found us. I'm pretty sure I've read of bad/intermittent grounds which could be a caused by a broken wire in the harness or a poor connection to the frame causing this problem.

It's a good idea to re-do the ground connections anyway (there was a factory service bulletin about this). Find the ground attachment points in the sub-frame (I think there are a couple) and remove the bolts from them. Wire-brush the bolt threads clean. Take a flat file and file the paint off the bosses on the frame. Re-install the bolts using "star" type lock washers and no thread locking compound. The star will "bite" into the bolt head and terminal lug and ensure a good connection. Sometimes this will cure weird electrical problems like this.

Hughlysses screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 09:40 AM
Hughlysses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,379
The manual shown is pretty good at explaining how the sensor works. It says that a low resistance indicates high temp. You have eliminated the sensor itself as part of the problem, so the next step would be to troubleshoot the wiring. I don't think that you have a bad ground, because that would cause a high resistance (ie Low temp). I think it is more likely that you have a short to ground (ie Low resistance, High Temp) upstream of the sensor. If you use something like ECM Spy, what does it show the engine temp as?

I would try putting a 1k ohm resistor between the ECU out for the temp sensor and ground (disconnect the sensor first). It would see that as normal operating temp (150c) and should not skip fire (at least if it is doing it because of the temp sensor). If it still does it, then you could eliminate the temp sensor as the cause of the problem.

Does it skip fire all time? Are you sure that it is not just a bad coil? Is the plug actually firing?

I'm not a Buell expert but these problems can be a bear to track down and you want to approach the problem systematically.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
A good way to check for coil or plug wire issues is to remove the left side scoop,get the engine hot and spray the plug wires and coil with soapy water.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 184
If I remember correctly there is a member over on Badweb that cured his skip spark problem by manually wiring the fan to a switch on the bars. Supposedly the thinking is that the fan is powered through the ecm and the draw is too much for the ecm to handle on some bikes. Wiring it to the bars on a switch and bypassing the ecm takes a big electricial draw off of the ecm. I'm sure others can explain it better, but it can be found over at badweb.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkguy View Post
If I remember correctly there is a member over on Badweb that cured his skip spark problem by manually wiring the fan to a switch on the bars. Supposedly the thinking is that the fan is powered through the ecm and the draw is too much for the ecm to handle on some bikes. Wiring it to the bars on a switch and bypassing the ecm takes a big electricial draw off of the ecm. I'm sure others can explain it better, but it can be found over at badweb.
You could do the same with a relay, if there isn't one already (that would be surprising).

Send from my Droid using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote