Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
GO_OUTSIDE! OP
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
All I know is my new chain made my bike faster and shift better! But... I have lost the effect of my rear brake. I must have contaminated the pads somehow.
Maybe I got a bad chain from RK, the chain had three tight links from day one that I never was able to loosen up, but this mew chain seems un-naturally smooth!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #32
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
I havent contacted RK but DID replied with "we have not tested the compatability of atf with our chains... use lube listed as safe for oring chains"
Every O-ring chain made,on the box,it says use lube made for 0-ring chains. Doesnt say use ATF,or engine oil,or gearbox oil.

This confuses some people. "Use Lube made For O-ring Chain. " Simple yet can be taken many ways. I guess.

O-ring chains have grease in them from the factory,I buy good o-ring chains,use Maxima 0-ring chain lube,the chains go around 25,000 miles or more with next to no mess anywhere.

Chain oiler is old school and seems to make a mess,attract dirt.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #33
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
maybe I need a new thread started...

but I'm wondering, for the high life longevity chain enjoyers:

do you lube before or after ?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #34
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Chain oiler is old school and seems to make a mess,attract dirt.
I tend to agree. I've used various ones over the years and was never quite satisfied with them.

So, I made my own electronically controlled oiler. It uses gear oil which has some attractive properties for chains and rollers, namely high viscosity and high shear strength.

My oiler uses a PIC microcontroller. It measures the ambient temperature and adjusts the solenoid "on" time to dispense one single drip per timing cycle regardless of temperature.

The unit uses very little oil, but keeps the chain and rollers moist with virtually no fling-off unless conditions are very windy. At this time I have it set to dispense one drip every 10 minutes.

The oil reservoir is about 20" of 1/2" tubing.

Here is the solenoid and part of the reservoir. The circuit board is under the seat. The dispensing nozzle is recycled from a Scott Oiler.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.Rock View Post
Have you ever cleaned your chain with a non-safe solvent, like brake kleen, or mineral spirits?
Lots of difference between brake cleaner and mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is about as mild a solvent as you can buy. If it causes any harm to a chain or o-rings, I'd like to hear about it, because it is all I have ever used. Old dish brush with min spirits for a light scrub, dry with rag, spray with chain lube.

jon_l screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 05:29 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,729
I used to use chainsaw bar oil in my Scottoiler for years. It comes in summer weight and winter weights, stuck well to the chain, and extended the life tremendously. It also seemed to be close in consistency to the Scottoiler brand lubricant.

The Scottoiler died after several hundred thousand KM's on it's third bike. Never got around to replacing it with another one.

I'd expect ATF was too thin and penetrated into the rollers causing premature wear.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote