ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Wookie97 OP
Wow!That was close.

Oddometer: 28
Major Electrical problem

I had been planning a day trip up around the Steamboat Springs Area to do some Scouting for Elk season. As I was just getting over Berthoud Pass, near Winter Park CO., the motor just completely shut down. Scared the crap out of me since I was in the middle of a tight corner. Pulled over to the side and the ignition button would not work. Checked the fuses and found the 10A Power Relay blown. Replaced the fuse, turned the key, flipped the on/off switch and POP it goes. Talking with Yellow Pig on the phone he found a thread where guys were having issues with the wire rubbing in the plastic clip as it goes down the tree. I checked every wire I could and found no problem at all. Every wire looked perfect and the wire loom had no wear marks. There is power to the dash, all lights work, ACC to GPS works but the ignition will not work at all. Every time that fuse pops just at the flip the on/off switch.

Good news is the bike is still under warranty. Took the wife 3hrs to get reach me and I was able to drop it off at the dealer on the way home. For my own peace of mind has anyone come across something similar or any ideas on what it could be? Dealer said they would have an answer by Wednesday on the problem.

The only additions I have done are a direct +- wire for my heated vest from the power lug on the right side (I did disconnect the fuse to make sure that didn't have anything to do with it) and I installed a GPS but it is wired to the ACC circuit(Also disconnected to see if that helped).

I'll post the findings once I hear from the dealer once I hear back.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,603
Under left tank the wire harness rubs on a machined boss on the motor.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Wookie97 OP
Wow!That was close.

I forgot to mention that the bike is a 2011 990 ADV.

Heard from the dealer today about the electrical issue. From what they are saying is that I ended up crushing the O2 sensor wire in the rear Crash Bar Clamp. A few weeks ago I did do an oil change but Im pretty confident that the clamp was clear. I really don't remember any wires even being in that area. The problem is fixed, won't cover it under warranty and will cost me $150. Won't be able to make it to the dealer till this weekend to pick up the bike.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I consider my self a pretty good mechanic but everyone does make mistakes.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,603
Pinching that wire with crash bar clamp is very common and usually causes a the FI light to flash a code. Causing the bike to shut down and blow a fuse isn't common.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,172
Can anyone look at the wiring diagram and see if it would even cause the ignition fuse to blow. Seems like it would blow the EFI fuse instead.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Wookie97 OP
Wow!That was close.

Yellow Pig helped me out on a few threads where this happened only it would flash a code instead of pop the Power Relay fuse. As the other threads stated it only flashed a code not shut the entire motor down. So does this mean that if the O2 sensor itself shorts out will the same problem happen again.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Check if your battery connections are tight. Had the same issue with my 07 990 and a loose battery connection was the culprit. May not be the issue, but its worth a look anyway.

Also, if you ride in a lot of water, those starter relay leads can get corroded, causing all kinds of electrical weirdness, but your bike sounds like its fairly new.

Just like others mentioned, pinching that O2 wire will only cause an FI code, 1-7 or 1-9 IIRC. BTDT as well.

crashmaster screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 11:18 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,856
Shorting the O2 sensor will not blow a fuse. The ECU will throw a code.

Loose battery connections are very common. But, I don't think they will blow the fuse either.

You'll need to check it over again. Pull the headlight mask and closely inspect for rubbing on the frame or pinched wires.

Look closely at the steering head area, that's the most common problem area. Lots of pinch points there.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Wookie97 OP
Wow!That was close.

I was finally able to pick up my bike at the Dealer ship. Talked to them about the issue and why it shut the motor down instead of just throwing a code. They didn't have an answer. It cost me $151.00 for a wire connector, some electrical tape, and a very shitty looking repair job. I ended up pulling all there work off and having to redo it to make it look good. Even though the bike is still under warranty they wouldn't help out any.

Lesson learned here was "Pay more attention when putting the crash bars back on".
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I had this done by local dealer during first time crash bar installation when I've bought the bike, after a week riding started to get FI flashes and so on. Found the problem and taped it? forced dealer to replace sensor for a new one, however they managed to do more problems rather than fixes and each time I was going back to fix what they did wrong it was getti gonly worce....so since then I mend my bike myself and not a single regret)))

Sensor wire was permanently relocated to the engine side and never was a problem again
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote