Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #76
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
BTW, I was getting 70-75mpg outta the Zip and that was before it was fully broken-in. And that was running it WFO and generally behaving badly.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #77
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
BTW, I was getting 70-75mpg outta the Zip and that was before it was fully broken-in. And that was running it WFO and generally behaving badly.
Does the Zip have a gas gauge? I think the one on the Triton is nearly useless, unless I'm getting 10 mpg...
Old 08-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #78
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Sorta, there's a local "shop" very close to me. They don't have an official storefront yet, currently making deliveries all over the state out of their small warehouse space. I called and setup a time to meet, they cut me a deal for skipping the delivery, and they'll take care of me with parts, etc.

chicopee scooters

Photog pointed me here:

qualityscooters4less.com

did you look at all of them? or just the vento triton?

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #79
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:
If you've got 45mph roads, you're okay. If these are 4-lane 45mph roads with flow of traffic around 50-55, then it's gonna be frustrating and you'd be better off with a 125/150 or more.

However, in the 35/40/45 streets around here, I keep up with traffic just fine on a 50 (Vento Zip R3i). In rush hour, even on 45mph roads, I'm typically passing traffic. Downtown, there's not a car that can keep up with me.

On the Super 9, I can harass cars and motorcycles up to 50-55mph.

I am surrounded by 4 lane very fast slab and only a mile from the twelve lane supper slab. So I would need something with a little get up and go. I'm just waiting to buy Rider's ST when he moves to the Big Ruckus.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #80
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
did you look at all of them? or just the vento triton?
define all?

I went to the local shops, was underimpressed with the Honda and Yamaha 50cc offerings (way too much $$$, way too slow). I did my online homework, and in the cheap corner, the Vento's win on quality and support. When I went down to look at the Vento, they had a Zip and a couple of the other models listed on their website. After all the online searching, i was pretty sure the Triton was for me, errr, us.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #81
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Does the Zip have a gas gauge? I think the one on the Triton is nearly useless, unless I'm getting 10 mpg...

Same instrument cluster, I think.

what kind of oil you using? Are you premixing or letting the bike do it?

Like I like. Yep.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #82
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,417
Quote:
define all?

I went to the local shops, was underimpressed with the Honda and Yamaha 50cc offerings (way too much $$$, way too slow). I did my online homework, and in the cheap corner, the Vento's win on quality and support. When I went down to look at the Vento, they had a Zip and a couple of the other models listed on their website. After all the online searching, i was pretty sure the Triton was for me, errr, us.

all the models on their site, sorry. im thinkin about one of them. possibly the bkm sauron, the zip, and the yamaha m2. possibly one of the others, too. not sure. oh jesus ive got it bad. i think ive got scotter bugs nuder my skin.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #83
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
I am surrounded by 4 lane very fast slab and only a mile from the twelve lane supper slab. So I would need something with a little get up and go. I'm just waiting to buy Rider's ST when he moves to the Big Ruckus.
Good strategy.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #84
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
all the models on their site, sorry. im thinkin about one of them. possibly the bkm sauron, the zip, and the yamaha m2. possibly one of the others, too. not sure. oh jesus ive got it bad. i think ive got scotter bugs nuder my skin.
Coulda worked something out. There's a BKM Sauron for sale $1000 locally with about 30 miles on it. I coulda ridden it to ATL, then taken the Stella back.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #85
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:

Same instrument cluster, I think.

what kind of oil you using? Are you premixing or letting the bike do it?

It's got full synth 2-stroke oil in it. I was there when Brian from CS filled it. I don't think it has premix in the tank. I've been reading some of the "prep" info on the web and wondering if I should swap out the tank for some. But Brain seemed like he knew what he was doing, he delivers 10 of these a week to customers who just put the key in and go.

Right?

DoctorIt screwed with this post 08-10-2005 at 01:34 PM
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #86
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,438
Quote:

The Patrick pictures crack me up.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #87
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:
the chinese 2-strokes get much more favorable reviews than the bigger 4-strokes. The Vento mailing list that Photog sent me to for some reading is full of posts on "how do you fix xxxx on the Phantom?" and not too many posts about Zips or Tritons. That's just an initial observation. I haven't looked at or ridden the bigger ones.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #88
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
It's got full synth 2-stroke oil in it. I was there when Brian from CS filled it. I don't think it has premix in it. I've been reading some of the "prep" info on the web and wondering if I should put some premix in it. But Brain seemed like he knew what he was doing, he delivers 10 of these a week to customers who just put the key in and go.

Right?
stick to whatever he told you

and remember that this drivetrain is in use all over the world, particularly in places where they will get zero maintenance and crappy oil/gas.

One thing to watch out for is the oil reservoir. They did ship a batch of them that had a loose-fitting cap where the oil level sensor is. Mine started leaking like the Exxon Valdez. If that happens, take a turkey baster and remove the oil (just put it back in the bottle) to get it beneath that oil cap level. Use permatex sealant (gas/oil proof) or teflon tape. Problem solved. Takes about 10 minutes. What I did after that was just give it a couple glorts of oil at every fillup instead of filling the reservoir to the top, just to be sure. Shouldn't be an issue, just letting you know in case it happens. Common on many automatic 2T scoots since a lot of them sourced from the same place for the reservoir.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #89
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
J'Accuse!!!

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #90
DoctorIt OP
vrooom!

Quote:
stick to whatever he told you

and remember that this drivetrain is in use all over the world, particularly in places where they will get zero maintenance and crappy oil/gas.

One thing to watch out for is the oil reservoir. They did ship a batch of them that had a loose-fitting cap where the oil level sensor is. Mine started leaking like the Exxon Valdez. If that happens, take a turkey baster and remove the oil (just put it back in the bottle) to get it beneath that oil cap level. Use permatex sealant (gas/oil proof) or teflon tape. Problem solved. Takes about 10 minutes. What I did after that was just give it a couple glorts of oil at every fillup instead of filling the reservoir to the top, just to be sure. Shouldn't be an issue, just letting you know in case it happens. Common on many automatic 2T scoots since a lot of them sourced from the same place for the reservoir.
In the 10 miles I've put on it, I opened the thing about 10 times now. I told you I already had body completely off, right? Gotta know what I'm dealing with!

Everything looks good so far in the oil department, but duly noted.