User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
jersey jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Project Rushmore - 2014 Harley rumors

There is something more than paint colors coming in the Harley touring range for 2014.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...e/index2.html#

Rumors of a new fairing design on the Streetglide, LED lighting, a new touchscreen stereo with Bluetooth and a new gauge and dashboard design to go with it, all these and more are floating around the HD forums, including a drawing from what looks like a 2014 service manual that shows a new radio and gauge design.

I'm hoping for a power adjustable windshield myself, like the Vision and the new Chieftain.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey jim View Post
There is something more than paint colors coming in the Harley touring range for 2014.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...e/index2.html#

Rumors of a new fairing design on the Streetglide, LED lighting, a new touchscreen stereo with Bluetooth and a new gauge and dashboard design to go with it, all these and more are floating around the HD forums, including a drawing from what looks like a 2014 service manual that shows a new radio and gauge design.

I'm hoping for a power adjustable windshield myself, like the Vision and the new Chieftain.
Adjustable windshield would be nice. H-D is long overdue for a better audio system.

What I love about H-D and their use of technology is how well they integrate it into their designs. Much of it is invisible and seamless so as not to detract from the visceral appeal of the bikes. This usually leads to uninformed idiots slamming Harley for their "1950's engineering and designs", while completely missing things like the flawless ride by wire injection, ABS sensor built into the wheel bearings, etc.

I like what Harley-Davidson is doing. Interesting to note they are gaining more popularity here on Advrider too. I don't own a Harley currently, but might again one day.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
jersey jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Adjustable windshield would be nice. H-D is long overdue for a better audio system.

What I love about H-D and their use of technology is how well they integrate it into their designs. Much of it is invisible and seamless so as not to detract from the visceral appeal of the bikes. This usually leads to uninformed idiots slamming Harley for their "1950's engineering and designs", while completely missing things like the flawless ride by wire injection, ABS sensor built into the wheel bearings, etc.

I like what Harley-Davidson is doing. Interesting to note they are gaining more popularity here on Advrider too. I don't own a Harley currently, but might again one day.
I'm not surprised more people are getting into the HD touring bikes, I really really enjoyed the 2100 miles I put on a rented Limited a couple weeks ago.

Now there are reports from the dealer show that the 110" CVO's and the trikes will be air/liquid cooled. I bet next year all the touring bikes will go liquid cooled.

The 103's may have more power and torque, at least in the touring bikes. That's good news for me.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,194
I had hoped to be dead before the radio was important on a motorcycle....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

Buddies of mine have various Harleys and they (three of them) are looking at Street Glides. One of the points/reasons given to get SGs was radios. I was like WTF once you put the loud pipes on that you know you will because all three of you have them now you won't be able to hear the friggin radios anyway!
None of these guys ride much farther than 50-60 miles when they do ride anyway so what is the use? The bikes they have now have been lowered and the suspensions been made so harsh to keep them from bottoming that they are not enjoyable to ride and they will do the same with new bikes.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,156
Bluhduh Does this bike come with a heated seat and butt massager

Quote:
You will be before a radio is important to riders, owners like the shiny stuff more than the important stuff!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

What I love about H-D and their use of technology is how well they integrate it into their designs. Much of it is invisible and seamless so as not to detract from the visceral appeal of the bikes.

This. HD has the nicest, most thoroughly thought out wiring harness around.

I hear a lot about the new dashboard...this is a cool idea, and probably a neat option, but on the rank and file bikes I see it as too much. If they did it, it'd pop up on the Ultra Limited, or a CVO or something similar.

The fairing in the background has a fairly fancy paintjob - might be a CVO, Rushmore might reference extreme personalization associated with a new paint program.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
jersey jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I never had tunes on a bike (other than ear buds on a long highway ride) before the Limited I rented, I kinda liked it. I made some MP3 cd's with enough songs for most of a day, cruised to my favorite tunes. I liked it.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
jersey jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
This. HD has the nicest, most thoroughly thought out wiring harness around.

I hear a lot about the new dashboard...this is a cool idea, and probably a neat option, but on the rank and file bikes I see it as too much. If they did it, it'd pop up on the Ultra Limited, or a CVO or something similar.

The fairing in the background has a fairly fancy paintjob - might be a CVO, Rushmore might reference extreme personalization associated with a new paint program.

Apparently there will be a Street Glide Special model with the new fairing/electronics and a High Output 103. Not sure about the other models yet.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
Harley pays homage to their past with what I would call style that never goes out of style. But they invest in the future with technology that inspires rather than intrudes.

Some would look at a new HD and think, "Hurummph! Yesterdays' technology tomorrow!".

Feh!

Like James Bond in a tux, an E Glide is the motorized personification of class.

By the way, I am once again a Harley owner having recently bought a very nice '07 Sportster 1200 Low.

The Apocalypse is upon the Starley crowd and I am the Fourth Horseman.

From the book of Starley, Evolution 6: 7-8:

And I looked and behold a fourth rider appeared upon a Sportie Low and his name was Toad and general disarray did follow him. And all the wussies did wet their manties in fear."

Thee Toade

Congrats on the new bike. Glad you are getting to ride again.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
I've had bikes with and without. Not a needed accessory, but it can be nice for passing the miles on a lengthy interstate drone.

As for Harley, if they are going put radios in most of their touring bikes I'm glad they are (likely) upgrading the system. I'd rather have no radio than pay for the existing system.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Why would someone have an issue with a radio on a motorcycle? I commute on my dual sport and would love to have a radio. In fact I've been thinking of a Street Glide for that reason. We all listen to a hockey/ball game in our cars, why not bikes??
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,561
After seeing the carnival that was downtown at Indianapolis last night...I'm waiting for Harley to offer a 30" front wheel before jumping back into the cult.

I thought I'd seen plenty of stupid shit, but 30" front wheels with a slammed rear is the latest in, "sure that's stupid, but can you top this?" .
Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
After seeing the carnival that was downtown at Indianapolis last night...I'm waiting for Harley to offer a 30" front wheel before jumping back into the cult.

I thought I'd seen plenty of stupid shit, but 30" front wheels with a slammed rear is the latest in, "sure that's stupid, but can you top this?" .
Gosh, that's terrible. Somebody should do something about it!!! I'm glad you brought this to my attention. Wait until you hear a bagger with a stereo louder than the exhaust.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757

Not my thing, but nice to see an upgrade come to the batwing,
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote