Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #271
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post

First sentence threw me though: Part touring bike, part time machine. I thought, huh? Aren't all bikes full-time machines? Until I realized what she meant: It's a full-time machine.....but part time-machine.

Punctuation. Is. Your. Friend.

Cakeeater
Confused the shit out of me too.
Thanks for the light.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #272
The Dirty One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Bought a '14 ultra on labor day and am most impressed with the handling,brakes and wind management. Ultras have always had just about perfect ergos for me regardless of year model.
The Dirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #273
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
My local dealer has a 2014 Ultra demo bike and I took it out for a half hour rip. I'd like to buy one. I might even do that.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #274
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 336
Recently the old steam barge wheezing over the pond has docked in Blighty to unload the 2014 bikes, so I've been around the dealers to kick tyres. I first saw an Ultra classic which was liquid cooled over here as well as the Limited ( I even went back to check in case I was mistaken) and another dealer had the Limited. So I test rode the Ultra Limited yesterday, just to see if it got under my skin the way my Road King has.
I had just over two hours on it on a variety of different roads and mixed volumes of traffic. The comfort was great and the little vent works up to around 80mph, when some buffeting set in, but shut the vent off and its much worse. This is the first Harley I've ridden with lowers, so I noticed my feet getting warm, but I forgot about the flaps you can open to help this, and you only felt the radiator air if you stuck your knee out into the airstream. I'm not that keen on the amount of road the bat wing fairing blocks from your view, but it does look nice, and will probably be better in the rain.
Suspension was good, with the front forks a big improvement, and they nicely complimented the linked brakes. They felt about the same riding normally if, like me, you mainly use two finger braking most of the time but go for the full handful and the foot brake and strewth, you have got some serious stopping power for something that heavy if they still had the old forks they wouldn't cope. I found that out when a web toed Norfolk pig farmer watched me approach for 20 seconds before lurching his rust bucket pick-up out in front of me. As he had his window down I took the opportunity to refer him to an optician and question the marital status of his mixed species parents.
On with the test. Handling was nimble and composed, surprisingly so for a porker such as this, so bumpy bendy roads were a doddle although pulling over onto patches of pot holed gravel would have my anus twitching like a rabbit's nose, especially as it wasn't my bike, and I stood to forfeit a kidney if I dropped it.
The engine was creamy smooth but the alleged extra power and torque I was expecting didn't seem to be there, it just seemed sluggish. Now I know it's got a nigh on half turn throttle but I suspect its the fault of the Euro spec exhaust, which has a tiny outlet on the left and a bypass noise valve which opens at above a set speed, this bike was very quiet at all speeds and throttle openings. The mandatory stage one kit will uncork it no problem.
One ergo issue I had was with gear lever positioning, (an easy fix) I couldn't get my toe under it and sometimes snagged my boot on the fairing lower. The heel shift was the first thing to come off my RK. Having said that it was the only way to get the thing into neutral at a standstill a hefty boot required, but gearboxes always take a few thousand to loosen up, but the hydraulic clutch felt nice and progressive.
The other ergo whinge concerns the right hand switch gear where the menu stalk is prominent next to the indicator switch and sometimes I wondered why the infotainment display kept changing, seemingly at will so that could be an explanation - accidentally catching it with my glove. Which neatly brings me to the bit I didn't like the in flight entertainment. I ended up sounding just like Jeremy Clarkson, shouting at it in pantomime fury. The radio lost signal but didn't bother to seek out a stronger one, when switching to a map display the clock function vanished, replaced by a frequency for the radio station you now can't hear. When I stopped to select the home destination for the return leg it tried to send me off the wrong exit of a roundabout, and it missed the exit off the main road completely in order to send me the long way round. The best electronics are intuitive, some work needed here though.
As I always ride with earplugs and take pride in my own navigation skills it is just something I don't need, although enthusiastic gadgeteers will no doubt relish the challenge.
So to sum up all the bits I like (except hydraulic clutch, why?) are on the new Road King, but not the bits I don't like, so I feel a Birch White and Midnight Pearl is calling me. We get the Classic over here, I just wish it were the standard one with the new bags. Funny how you want what you can't have.
Oh and it didn't puke a drop.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #275
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Too long, didn't read.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #276
Gypped
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Too long, didn't read.
tl;dr
Gypped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #277
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
Work continues to get in the way of riding, but I do have some further observation since I've put a few hundred miles on the Limited since first service.

Handling, brakes and wind management continue to be the biggest improvements over the '12. Though, lighting is pretty cool too.

I ride through back roads on the eastern side of the Chesapeake. At night, with the high beams on, it throws a tight beam of light about a hundred and twenty feet or so down the road. Perfect at 50-60 mph. Still plenty of peripheral light to catch critters darting out. Surprisingly, oncoming cars don't seem to mind if I leave it on high. I think it's because of the tight pattern of light from these new fangled lamps that stays in my lane.

There isn't a stage 1 download yet. I'm seriously thinking of not doing it anyway. The bike has (relatively) lots of power and the standard pipes make a nice sound when on it.

The speakers aren't the best over 80. For a guy who never listened to tunes on a bike until two years ago, I really enjoy it now. I'll probably upgrade the speakers and maybe throw in an amp too, at some point.

The seating position is very standard, which suits me. Feet under knees. Feet-forward guys will probably want highway pegs.

This is a sophisticated, high tech bike wrapped up in traditional Harley styling. I really like it.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #278
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Too long, didn't read.
The ADHD generation misses out on so much.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #279
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Too long, didn't read.
I read the whole thing. :-). Good review.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #280
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett View Post
(except hydraulic clutch, why?).
I have not yet read what Harley claims for the advantage of the hydraulic clutch. I believe they are that it's self adjusting, and there is not a cable to fail. It also might help them clean up the engine styling, so there isn't a cable and adjuster hanging out there.

I can't help but wonder, now that they have made a major upgrade to the front suspension, when will they address the rear? Even though it's a pure street bike I can't help but think more than 3" of travel could could help the ride immensely.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #281
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
I have not yet read what Harley claims for the advantage of the hydraulic clutch. I believe they are that it's self adjusting, and there is not a cable to fail. It also might help them clean up the engine styling, so there isn't a cable and adjuster hanging out there.

I can't help but wonder, now that they have made a major upgrade to the front suspension, when will they address the rear? Even though it's a pure street bike I can't help but think more than 3" of travel could could help the ride immensely.
More consistent/constant feel. Have one on one of my bikes. It does help give a more consistent feel to the pull. Also you don't have to do any adjustments, just fluid changes. I would not choose a bike over another due to cable vs. hydraulic myself, but give it a try and see what you think of it.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #282
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
I read the whole thing. :-). Good review.
Thank you kind Sir.

My understanding of the hydraulic clutch is that it allowed Harley to fit heavier rate clutch springs and still end up with the same lever effort.
Having owned a Laverda Jota with an enormous appetite for consuming cables and light bulbs I'm in favour of Hydraulics and LEDs.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #283
douglasb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Rushmore CVO Limited

It came in early! Only 100 miles thus far. First impressions, damn comfortable and the suspension is worlds better than my old Road Glide and my recently departed Heritage Softail. My GS now has a new garage mate!

Old 10-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #284
jersey jim OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
It came in early! Only 100 miles thus far. First impressions, damn comfortable and the suspension is worlds better than my old Road Glide and my recently departed Heritage Softail. My GS now has a new garage mate!

Oooh, a CVO. Nice. I rode a CVO Roadglide this summer, that 110 is a nice engine. The paint, fit and finish on the CVO's is outstanding as well. Sweet ride.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #285
douglasb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
^^^^

Fit and finish is impressive...but to be honest, the saddle bag on the far side was scratched - from the factory. The dealer was upfront about it and there's a new one on order. DOH!