Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #46
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Adjustable windshield would be nice. H-D is long overdue for a better audio system.

What I love about H-D and their use of technology is how well they integrate it into their designs. Much of it is invisible and seamless so as not to detract from the visceral appeal of the bikes. This usually leads to uninformed idiots slamming Harley for their "1950's engineering and designs", while completely missing things like the flawless ride by wire injection, ABS sensor built into the wheel bearings, etc.

I like what Harley-Davidson is doing. Interesting to note they are gaining more popularity here on Advrider too. I don't own a Harley currently, but might again one day.
Plus 1, Like button, agree
Old 08-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #47
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
Im glad i have never fallen victim of the allure of the american V twim. Harley's are nothing more than rolling road blocks where I ride, I pass them on my 35 horsepower KLR all the time. Over priced, under powered and ill handling is is what they specialize in and they sell the heck out of them. They haven't had any significant changes since the Evo in the 80's.

Spoken like someone who has never ridden a late model Harley touring bike.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #48
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
I thought I was pretty much done with buying another Harley, I'm very happy with what I have. Now I'm not so sure maybe in a couple of years I might sell my Limited and pick up one of the newer ones used. There are a lot of changes for 2014 enough to make me consider it. Most of the time with Harley it's just incremental changes, the new bikes have some really big changes; brakes, suspension, bags, audio, engine thats a lot; Harley is not really known for big changes. I thought when Harley redesigned the frame in 09 that was a lot, all the sudden my 2011 Limited seems old.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #49
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
That sounds interesting, for sure. I wouldn't argue with:

"more powerful, stop faster and handle better, among other things. In addition, the new machines feature updated styling, improved ergonomics and enhanced rider comfort" or

"high-output fuel-injected Twin Cam 103 engines, linked antilock brakes and LED headlights." or

"new “batwing” fairing was designed via wind tunnel testing to improve aerodynamics and significantly reduce wind buffeting for the rider."

I have this idea I can't seem to shake that I want a Road King. Can't afford one now, but anyway sounds like H-D is improving the performance for an already attractive brand.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #50
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 592
If only there was already a thread dedicated to this...
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #51
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz363 View Post
Why would someone have an issue with a radio on a motorcycle? I commute on my dual sport and would love to have a radio. In fact I've been thinking of a Street Glide for that reason. We all listen to a hockey/ball game in our cars, why not bikes??
Because other people using the road shouldn't have to listen to my music? Same as cars with giga-watt stereos pumping out the beats. I f*cking hate the selfish mentality these days that whatever I want trumps common decency.

F*ck loud stereos, cars or bikes, and double f*ck loud pipes. My temporary office is on the 8th floor of a downtown office building, and several times a day, a jackass ride by with so much trailing noise I can't hear my phone through the curtain-wall (sealed, not operable windows).

I use earphones when I listen to music in public.

Old grumpy guy rant over.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #52
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
On the few sections of "twisties" we have in Orlando, Harleys are notorious for holding up traffic.

I would hazard to guess that these are inexperienced newbies who got their license using a scooter to pass the road test and plunked down their plastic for the bike and a pirate costume so they could say they are bikers either that or a bunch of old drunks bar hopping.
I never thought I would like a Harley until I started riding and semi inherited my Father in Laws 1984 FXRS. It handles as well as I need it to and I can stuff it into a corner as fast as I want or my skills allow me with no complaints from the bike.
Still don't get the radio part... maybe on an open empty highway with no cages around but on the backroads I ride there is no time to drift off into the music because there is either a cage or deer waiting for you somewhere down the road all of my attention is on the road in front of me.
'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #53
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Should be lots of used Harley hitting the market soon. All the hardcore Harley guys over on HD forums are getting rid of theirs because of the water cooling on a couple of new models. Indian might be selling lots of bikes. :)
grelcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #54
CloneBoy
Future Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelcar View Post
Should be lots of used Harley hitting the market soon. All the hardcore Harley guys over on HD forums are getting rid of theirs because of the water cooling on a couple of new models. Indian might be selling lots of bikes. :)

I would love to go test ride a chieftan, but the nearest dealership is 6 hours away at least, and I live smack dab in the midwest! They CANT sell lots of bikes, they dont have the dealer network

When we riding?
CloneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #55
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelcar View Post
Great. Now they'll migrate to Indian and turn that brand into a big circle jerk.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #56
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneBoy View Post
I would love to go test ride a chieftan, but the nearest dealership is 6 hours away at least, and I live smack dab in the midwest! They CANT sell lots of bikes, they dont have the dealer network
Sure they can. People who can buy bikes at that pricepoint aren't afraid to do a fly'n'ride.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #57
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneBoy View Post
the bike just launched. Give it 6 mths to a year, particularly in the Midwest, I think you'll find that changes. In the mean time HD hiring the bean counter from Johnson Controls (who is clueless about bikes), then closing down Buell, and now adding water cooling has done nothing to burnish the luster of what had been a fine company. If I buy another American bike, odds are good I'd go for a maker a little further west. An Electra with a radiator, that's the answer to a question that nobody cared to ask.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #58
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Great. Now they'll migrate to Indian and turn that brand into a big circle jerk.
What does that say about the brand?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #59
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Adjustable windshield would be nice. H-D is long overdue for a better audio system.

What I love about H-D and their use of technology is how well they integrate it into their designs. Much of it is invisible and seamless so as not to detract from the visceral appeal of the bikes. This usually leads to uninformed idiots slamming Harley for their "1950's engineering and designs", while completely missing things like the flawless ride by wire injection, ABS sensor built into the wheel bearings, etc.

I like what Harley-Davidson is doing. Interesting to note they are gaining more popularity here on Advrider too. I don't own a Harley currently, but might again one day.
I really enjoy my SG, but I do have to note that the throttle-by-wire injection has been not been "flawless." The pins on the TB connection behind the air cleaner are subject to fretting and the resulting fluctuations in voltage are enough to send the bike into limp mode, where it decelerates to around 15-20 mph. The technical bulletin is TT-418. It's pretty widely discussed (and cussed) on another forum.

It happened on mine, and feel fortunate that I was on a quiet 2-lane highway. There is no recall at this time. Sadly, I suspect it will take loss of life or serious injury as a result of the bike going into limp mode at a bad time and place before a recall will be put into place to replace the pins with gold-plated ones that are not subject to fretting. The patch fix that many of us are doing is to stuff the connection and coat the pins with dielectric grease. It's not a permanent fix, but it's working for many of us.

The ABS does work well, however many riders have had repeated problems with the wheel bearings themselves. This issue has not hit my SG, but there are a large number of grenaded bearings reported among the ABS-equipped bikes. AFAIK there is no suitable aftermarket alternative for these particular bearings.

'fooz
Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #60
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
HD is finally stepping into the 21st Century..
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote