User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #76
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,854
I think HD messed up by not owning it.

When a cool kid has a flaw, he doesn't cover it up and hide it. He puts it out in the open and says if you don't like it then F you!

HD is acting like a teenage girl with a zit. And that's not cool.

To many HD riders nothing is more important than being cool.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #77
LowOnFuel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
HD is finally stepping into the 21st Century..
One toe at a time.
LowOnFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #78
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
Im glad i have never fallen victim of the allure of the american V twim. Harley's are nothing more than rolling road blocks where I ride, I pass them on my 35 horsepower KLR all the time. Over priced, under powered and ill handling is is what they specialize in and they sell the heck out of them. They haven't had any significant changes since the Evo in the 80's.
It's rather funny... I ride the high country and mountain sweepers and curves and passes on my 2011 RKC 103 with ceramic coated headers, large intake, pro tuned exhaust and a Power Vision and I not only keep up with and pass the 1200 adventure bikes...

I also enjoy my ride A LOT... like they most probably do!

In fact, when I get off the bike after three to four hundred plus miles of hard riding in the mountains, I feel totally exhilarated!

This from a guy who has been riding for forty one years and has owned English, German, Italian, Japanese and a couple of American bikes.

I always share with newer riders that it absolutely doesn't matter what you ride but how you ride and how you feel during and after the ride!

If you feel good... that's all that matters.

I don't ride with tunes, no GPS, no phone in a cradle, no plug-in's... just ride a bike that I can feel the road with and enjoy immensely the experience.

After all... isn't the wide-open experience what we're all after?

BTW, I'm still keeping my eyes open for an adventure bike. Whether I also keep the RKC, we'll see what the future unfolds.

In the meantime, it's the riding that counts!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #79
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,898

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #80
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I'd like a TWIN COOL for my Ulysses, please.

unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #81
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
Cause I can be same as you

Besides I like all motorcyles and have always like the sound of a Harley and have ridden alot of them. And also because I enjoy busting the balls of those who ride the slow ass things.
So basically, you're just here to be a jackass?
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #82
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post

Seriously? That's an attractive bike?

It looks like a house.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #83
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,407
I watched the videos and read most of the thread. I am not impressed. I have been a Harley fan all my life, largely in part to their lack of modern technology. Not only do these new bikes have a lot more unneeded technology, but they actually have a cell phone hookup? The number one killer of motorcyclists is cell phones being used by car drivers, and now they are putting them on motorcycles? Why not just install a system on them where you can drink beer while riding? I could go for that, except that it is dangerous and illegal. I have no idea why using a cell phone while operating a motorcycle is not also illegal, and why it does not carry the same penalties as DUI.

A radio on a bike? Why? I ride to get away from the world, not to bring it with me. The sweet sound of a Harley engine is all the music I need. Most of my 40+ years of riding has been on highways, and I never had or wanted a radio. I have an '85 Goldwing, which I removed the radio/cassette player from and gave it to another GW forum member. I had a 1500 Goldwing, only had the stereo on once, to see if it worked. That bike was to quiet and to high tech for me.

Harley is slowly destroying the appeal of their bikes for me. But I know many people older than me, who can't even go to the restroom without their smart phones, so I suppose the new Harleys will still appeal to that type. Sometimes I wonder if there are any REAL motorcyclists left. I'll bet even the Hells Angels carry smart phones now.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #84
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I watched the videos and read most of the thread. I am not impressed. I have been a Harley fan all my life, largely in part to their lack of modern technology. Not only do these new bikes have a lot more unneeded technology, but they actually have a cell phone hookup? The number one killer of motorcyclists is cell phones being used by car drivers, and now they are putting them on motorcycles? Why not just install a system on them where you can drink beer while riding? I could go for that, except that it is dangerous and illegal. I have no idea why using a cell phone while operating a motorcycle is not also illegal, and why it does not carry the same penalties as DUI.

A radio on a bike? Why? I ride to get away from the world, not to bring it with me. The sweet sound of a Harley engine is all the music I need. Most of my 40+ years of riding has been on highways, and I never had or wanted a radio. I have an '85 Goldwing, which I removed the radio/cassette player from and gave it to another GW forum member. I had a 1500 Goldwing, only had the stereo on once, to see if it worked. That bike was to quiet and to high tech for me.

Harley is slowly destroying the appeal of their bikes for me. But I know many people older than me, who can't even go to the restroom without their smart phones, so I suppose the new Harleys will still appeal to that type. Sometimes I wonder if there are any REAL motorcyclists left. I'll bet even the Hells Angels carry smart phones now.
I'll tell ya Jerry, you might be on to something. It really is over the top. There's so much technology everywhere you look, pretty soon everything will be made out of atoms.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #85
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfooz View Post
I really enjoy my SG, but I do have to note that the throttle-by-wire injection has been not been "flawless." The pins on the TB connection behind the air cleaner are subject to fretting and the resulting fluctuations in voltage are enough to send the bike into limp mode, where it decelerates to around 15-20 mph. The technical bulletin is TT-418. It's pretty widely discussed (and cussed) on another forum.

It happened on mine, and feel fortunate that I was on a quiet 2-lane highway. There is no recall at this time. Sadly, I suspect it will take loss of life or serious injury as a result of the bike going into limp mode at a bad time and place before a recall will be put into place to replace the pins with gold-plated ones that are not subject to fretting. The patch fix that many of us are doing is to stuff the connection and coat the pins with dielectric grease. It's not a permanent fix, but it's working for many of us.

The ABS does work well, however many riders have had repeated problems with the wheel bearings themselves. This issue has not hit my SG, but there are a large number of grenaded bearings reported among the ABS-equipped bikes. AFAIK there is no suitable aftermarket alternative for these particular bearings.

'fooz
I was referring to their mapping and integration into already existing components. I made no reference to whether or not something breaks, wears out, or should have been manufactured more robustly. I'm well aware of the fretting and perhaps a few hundred other things you might not have heard of, considering the expanse of time I worked for them.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #86
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by slower_than_you View Post
But you are speaking on the HD crowd - lol

BUt really ,I wonder how these bikes will do. I think as long as the have reatined enough of the old engine traits they will do well, if its too muhc of a change , well, Im not sure.
Oh, and the Victory thing - you are dead on , if they could sell the life style , they would be doing alot better- see also Ducati
Maripito?
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #87
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
So basically, you're just here to be a jackass?
Not for much longer.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #88
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'll tell ya Jerry, you might be on to something. It really is over the top. There's so much technology everywhere you look, pretty soon everything will be made out of atoms.
Jerrydiah will be back when he's finished making his furniture.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #89
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

It looks like a house.

I love it.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #90
Fundamental
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

It looks like a house.
You need a bike built like that to support the bellies it carries.
Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote