Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
USMC_Engineer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Question Help me decide, 2014 Vstrom 650 adv vs 2013 FZ1...

Yes, call me crazy but I am yet again looking at new bikes…..
but I think I have it narrowed down to these 2 bikes… yup apples oranges but...

I want something that is more highway worthy than my current 2014 DRZ 400 SM, granted I stand firm that it is one of the most fun bikes ever for back roads and hooliganing on…

I can't decide, I am at a crossroads.

Great deal to be had on the FZ1, ala $3800 of sticker + fees and brand new, nice blue color!

I can def get the new '13 Vstrom ADV for 9k, and gonna see about a price match for a little lower…

EDIT: they also have a 2014 regular non ADV Vstrom 650 for $1500 less, should I go this route and hook it up via SWMOTECH instead of getting the adv model?

I have owned from current to past bikes…. 2014 DRZ 400sm, 2013 GSA, 2012 Connie 14, 2009 Yamaha Warrior, 2009 Vulcan 900, Suzuki Merauder, BMW Dakkar 650, Yamaha yzf 600… and tons of dirt bikes, quads….

I recently contemplated a very lightly used 2011 F800GS that was all hooked up, but no negotiating on it i was told…

Like i said I want something a little better for the freeway yet still fun on the weekend jaunts. I do miss my panniers from my last couple bikes, advantage Vstorm 650 ADV, FZ1 would mean spending money on soft or hard bags, prob the blaze system soft bags and tail bag…. and insurance is a little higher, not an end all as a lot cheaper than a ninja 1k but about double what the Vstrom will be..

I HATE wearing a backpack while Riding/ Commuting...

Power = huge win for the FZ1, but i have yet to test ride one and am worried about the lack of TQ?? I have test rode and fz8 and the TQ was pitiful, but am hoping the extra 200cc's make up for it and i keep hearing how smooth it is with a crazy hit above 7k rpm…but no ABS.. and MPG i hear can be pretty bad, 30 low, 40ish high.. but a hell of a deal on the leftover 2013.. is the lack of TQ really an issue on the FZ1, like is it a pain to ride smooth in stop n go?

The V Strom 650 ADV seems like a perfect compromise. Enough TQ to keep me entertained, ABS breaks, Storage, great community and following, cheap to insure….

My riding will be 18 mile commute each way, 10 miles of which are major highway both ways, the rest city crap traffic, and riding most every weekend for pleasure and yes I do like to ride at a spirited pace, but despise the maniacs that blow by me at 150 mph on the highway weaving in and out, Bad name for all motorcyclists…

So what do you all think??

Oh and If i get the strom, i would prob seek some "off road" when possible and do enjoy it, but not much off roading around me so not a big deal either way.. I do have crappy philly roads to deal with though, Also I try to ride until the snow is falling…

And finally Yeah, I know there are plenty of other bikes that fit the bill (Tiger XC, FJR, Multi, New GS, Super 10)….. but most cost more and although I don't really have a budget set in mind I really don't want to spend more that the cost of the Strom… I recently got screwed out of a crazy deal on a brand new leftover 2010 ST1300 that got sold out from under me, that was a sweet compromise.. damn dealership, oh well… on to the next...

USMC_Engineer screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 04:04 PM Reason: Sp
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
USMC_Engineer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Seemes to be very limited info on the FZ1 here on Advrider.

Any one with personal experience with the FZ1, all opionions welcomed, Thank you Gents.

I have test rode plenty of bikes over the last while yet the 2 I am seriously considering I have not and can't find any place to let me test ride. Go figure right.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,178
Semper Fi, Marine!

(me = F4 Phantom electrical systems tech., 1980 - 1983, 3rd MAW)

I have owned both of those bikes, and currently have a first-gen FZ1 for sale. They really couldn't be more different.

They are both fairly comfortable bikes in their own way, but the FZ1 is more compact, and the extra power requires more attention and commitment. The DL650 has a superbly upright and natural riding position, and the easy power delivery makes it a relaxing, fun bike to ride.

The DL has a fair amount of dirt road ability, and the FZ has, arguably, none (though I do hard packed gravel and dirt roads on 17" street tires all the time).

Both have a great aftermarket selection of accessories, but if you want luggage and a lot of wind protection, the nod goes to the V-strom for choices.

Plenty more worth discussing, but that's a start! Good luck with your search!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
USMC_Engineer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

^^^ thanks for the response Devil Dog! Thanks for your service and SEMPER FI Brother.

All points considered and taken into account.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I like the apples to oranges comparisons 'cause I think a lot of us think that way. Even the analogy is insightful - if you like both apples and oranges you still need to decide which one you want to eat. I remember years ago trying to decide whether I wanted a new street bike to replace my two year old Honda 900 or get a second bike, a dual sport (or enduro as we called them then). I was browsing in a large multi-line dealer and explained my predicament to the sales guy. You'd think it would be a great opportunity for a sale. Maybe sell me the street bike (50% higher price) and if he was lucky, sell me a dual sport 6-9 months later. Instead, he suggested that I come back when I made up my mind. Needless to say, I left and never went back. But I bought a new street bike somewhere else then bought a 600 dual sport a year later.

Anyway, if you like the DRZ SM I strongly suggest the Wee. It's much faster than the 400 so will satisfy that urge adequately. And between the two bikes you can ride anywhere (almost). Plus all the other practical attributes of the DL650 - economy, range, reliability (FZ1 I'm sure is fine also) and large owner's knowledge base and vendor farkles galore.

-dman 50k miles on my Wee and one 5 mile test ride on an FZ1
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
USMC_Engineer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

^^^ yeah the daggone Vstrom seems like a winner.

I have owned fast bikes (Connie 14, GSA was pretty quick, warrior) so I have been through that phase and it feels nice actually using all the bikes power and capabilities aka the SM... It just feels like I am wringing it's neck out keeping up with the maniacs on I95. Lol.

My practical, economical, makes sense you idiot side says Vstrom all the way.

My wild side says FIZZER all the way. And hard to pass up such a good deal, albeit more to insure.

I don't enjoy speeding, but I do enjoy getting up to speed quickly. If you know what I mean. :)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
otoko
Tustom User Citle

Oddometer: 70
Givi makes a rack for fz1, so side cases wont be an issue. My buddy has 75k miles on his, and it runs perfectly. I think he's putting down near 150hp with all of Ivan's products. Rides the piss out of it.

If you have any off road aspirations, get the vstrom.

I have a Ninja 1000. If you're anything like me or my buddy, you'd be doing a wkend trip at a fast fast pace :)
otoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
Titan1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Used Vstrom can be had for $4000 or less in great condition low miles. Then get a FZ also?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6T2U12wmI
Titan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,679
Wink

if fz1 is on the list, it should be replaced with FZ-09
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,107
I see where you're coming from. I was considering a Wee before I found a gently used Aprilia Dorsoduro 750. I absolutely hate 19" front wheels, but was willing to compromise as there really wasn't anything in my price range that had enough room for me and a 17" front wheel (the Versys does, but I've owned one of them and wanted something different).

I looked at the FZ-8, FZ-09, and a used FZ-1. The FZ-8 and FZ-1 felt too tight for me. The FZ-09 felt really good, but it's a new bike so used ones aren't out there in mass yet. Add to that the suspension upgrades and seat upgrade required and it was above what I could spend.

Over the years I've come to understand the old motto, "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". There is a lot of truth to it. My last bike was a Ninja 1000 and unless you were doing 80+ mph it really wasn't too exciting to ride. It was barely breathing. My Versys was a total hoot. Hold the throttle to the stop and try to keep your hands off the brakes as much as possible to keep up your momentum. Engine screaming, suspension bucking and bouncing, yeah....it was fun. So was my KLR650. Stab the brakes and at times you felt like the front end was going to be below the level of the pavement.

I've come to the point where I don't pay attention to HP/TQ figures, 0-60, 1/4 mile times, roll on figures, etc. I ride the bike and if it feels good, is fun to ride, and makes me smile then it's the bike for me. I might not have the most bad ass machine at the local bike night, or the fastest bike in the twisties, but the last time I checked there was no trophy for being the fastest guy to the end of the road. The slow guy gets to ride longer.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
USMC_Engineer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
if fz1 is on the list, it should be replaced with FZ-09
The 09 was on my short list after a very fun test ride. Thing is insurance is reclassifying it shortly as a true sports bike, tripling rates. That blows.

The FZ1 is a standard and is staying that way meaning lower rates.

And it seems that the FZ1 is more road worthy than the 09, more planted, has fairing, adjustable and better susp, etc. I know that stuff can be bough for the 09 but for me personally I think the fz1 is a better choice for commuting on the highway / touring. The 09 I'd describe as a supermoto on roids a very fun bike.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
USMC_Engineer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

So I just got back from the Suzuki dealership, same place that I bought my DRZ sm from, good guys and gave me a decent deal on my drz...

I brought info showing a few dealerships selling the 2014 Vstrom 650 adventure for $8299, one place was even $7999 but was $150 freight and $150 prep, so $8300 was the best I could find and the best I could hope for in a price match.

Well when all was said and done they said they would sell me the new Vstrom 650 adv for $8378, no freight or prep bs charges, just tax and tag transfer. And since I was trading in I only pay tax on the difference.

Only thing was they wouldn't give me anymore than $5200 for my trade (2014 drz 400 sm w/ 1800 miles), whereas most dealerships I have been to have offered me $5500 for my trade? Even the dealership with the FZ1 at a $3800 discount..

So what do you all think? The mgr said they are losing a few bucks on the deal but obviously will be making it back and then some when they sell my drz..

Still seems like a good deal though but wish I could get more for my trade, as that's a big hit to take. Guess I could ask for free 600 mile service.

USMC_Engineer screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 12:35 PM
Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
USMC_Engineer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OTD numbers for both

So here are the final numbers. And these numbers include my trade.

2014 VSTROM 650 ADVENTURE = $8378 + tax on trade diff ($5200 trade value) and tag, no freight or prep, making my OTD total $8771.....Insurance =$31/month..

2013 FZ1 = $6998 + $399 freight + tax on trade diff ($5500 trade value), making my total OTD $7346.....insurance = $56/mo, almost double the premium over the strom, but then again double as fast. Lol.

Edit: Just did a loan calculator and considering the insurance costs also, both bikes come out to within a dollar or 2 of costing the exact same. Only difference would be superior mpg on the strom.

On the fz1 I would immediately prob buy bags, and sliders, maybe a few other odds n ends...

On the vstrom I'd be ordering a skidplate and handguards and prob a center stand.

????

USMC_Engineer screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 01:05 PM Reason: Added info
Old 07-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
otoko
Tustom User Citle

Oddometer: 70
Jebus that's a smoking deal on the fz.
otoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
USMC_Engineer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ick View Post
Jebus that's a smoking deal on the fz.
Yeah I know, thats what's making this decision so hard. I actually need to call the dealer and see if it's still there... Might have gotten snatched up while I've been hanging out here on Advrider. Lol.